Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Disable boot kick possible?

Views : 2181

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 23:18   #1
172navigator

Default Disable boot kick possible?

I don't like the auto boot / kick / foot facility. It only seems to work when I don't want it to. On Sunday my son was sat in the boot putting his wellies on when a friend walked up and one of them set the sensor off. I pulled my son to the ground as the lid came down.

Anyone know of a way to disable this function?

I hope there is a circuit breaker, that would be easiest, but often a pulling a breaker can impact more than one system.

Any ideas?
Old Mar 2nd, 2017, 23:25   #2
172navigator

Actually I discovered a fuse diagram in the manual, fuse 15 in the cargo area should be the one to pull.

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 08:27   #3
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172navigator View Post
Actually I discovered a fuse diagram in the manual, fuse 15 in the cargo area should be the one to pull.

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks.
It would be nice, I love the boot kick feature, works perfectly for me at least 95% of the time. If only there were an option within doors and locks in the Sensus settings to disable it, for the times that you're putting boots on at the back of the car or cycle racks , hooking up the trailer electrics etc.

Note that it will only work if the key is detected within proximity, so I usually just pop the key in the front of the car when I'm doing things like this. Also when electric boot lid is operating, it doesn't take a lot of force to stop it, simply place your hand under it as it is coming down and apply a bit of upward pressure.

I wish Volvo provided a facility to suggest and vote on product enhancements.

:wq

Last edited by familymangreg; Mar 3rd, 2017 at 08:29.
familymangreg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 09:48   #4
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
It would be nice, I love the boot kick feature, works perfectly for me at least 95% of the time. If only there were an option within doors and locks in the Sensus settings to disable it, for the times that you're putting boots on at the back of the car or cycle racks , hooking up the trailer electrics etc.

Note that it will only work if the key is detected within proximity, so I usually just pop the key in the front of the car when I'm doing things like this. Also when electric boot lid is operating, it doesn't take a lot of force to stop it, simply place your hand under it as it is coming down and apply a bit of upward pressure.

It was suggested by my dealer to put the key in the front of the car. I pointed out that most insurance companies refuse claims if the key is 'in or near the car and the vehicle is unnattended' and the vehicle is stolen. It is too risky for me to leave the key in the car whereapon I will forgot and then walk away.....

I too would love a simple tile on the sensus screen which should be simple to program to disable the autokick..
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 09:48   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post

Me too.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 09:49   #6
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 172navigator View Post

Has anyone tried it?

Thanks.
I would think this would take out the whole power boot not just the air kick.

What about masking the sensor off with tape?
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 10:14   #7
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I would think this would take out the whole power boot not just the air kick.
No, the power feed for the tailgate is fuse 9.

It's quite normal for control and power circuits to be separate.
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 20:37   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

I love powered tailgates and have it on my Honda CRV as well as the new XC90. Love the global locking feature on the Volvo tailgate, but the Honda does have a lock button that has to be pressed after the tailgate closes, which is a close second best. Also love the gesture opening and closing on the Volvo and can't imagine why I would want to disable it. So far I've found it to work very well indeed and I use it maybe half the time. Only pressed the tailgate button a couple of times to open and otherwise use the dash button to open and gesture or tailgate buttons to close, as appropriate. Love the speed that this tailgate works too. Its about 50% faster than the Honda.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 21:50   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
.........and can't imagine why I would want to disable it.........
Wait until it hits you on the back of the head when hoovering the boot, or opens whilst you are fitting the bike rack and clobbers into it with a metallic clang or constantly opens when you are trying to wash the bootlid.....

I too like the convenience but really would like to be in control of when it is active.....
Old Mar 3rd, 2017, 22:17   #10
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Wait until it hits you on the back of the head when hoovering the boot, or opens whilst you are fitting the bike rack and clobbers into it with a metallic clang or constantly opens when you are trying to wash the bootlid.....

I too like the convenience but really would like to be in control of when it is active.....
So far I've found it to need quite a deliberate sweep of the foot under the car, about a third of the way across from the left hand side. I can't imagine it opening while washing the car, as I certainly don't intend to do the motion while doing so.

Will certainly look out for errant opening, now that you have made me aware of the possibility.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote