Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 2.0 D5 vs 2.0[390] T8 Momentum Pro

Views : 8259

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2018, 13:01   #1
2010 XC90 D5

Default XC90 2.0 D5 vs 2.0[390] T8 Momentum Pro

Hi All,

I am looking for some advise if possible. I currently have a 2010 XC90 2.0 D5 and I am potentially looking to get a new XC90. I have been looking at the XC90 2.0 D5 PowerPulse Momentum Pro on PCH but I found out today that I am eligible for a colleague car scheme that means I can do the contract hire through work as a salary sacrifice.

So my question is, if I go for the D5 through work it’s more than the PCH but I could get an XC90 2.0 T8[390] Hybrid PowerPulse Momentum Pro through the scheme for about £100 less a month including insurance, servicing, tyres, MOT and maintenance..

How do the cars compare, what should you watch out for on the hybrid??

Thanks
B

Last edited by 2010 XC90 D5; Sep 4th, 2018 at 13:13.
2010 XC90 D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 13:52   #2
Deman77
Master Member

Comfort and will performance will be a big improvement in T8 over D5. D5 is rattly and doesn’t quite have the poke for low speed comfort. At high speed D5 is comfortable and plenty fast. T8 will only be loud if you absolutely floor it.

If you do a lot of mileage and long trips then you will use more fuel in T8 but if your mileage is low it may not make that much difference so calculate (say 30ish for t8 and 40-45 on d5 on long trips). If you mainly do short trips then fuel costs will be much better on T8 (my d5 is 27 winter and 30 summer for urban and t8 would be over 100 in sane conditions).

T8 is heavier so whilst this improves refinement and overall stability it rolls even more in the corners plus it’s awd is different (petrol front and electric back) not that D5 is a Range Rover when it comes to off road.

You get several nice extras on T8 without paying for it (sunroof, aux heater, 7 seat comfort)

The breaks are not as progressive - will get some adjustment as it switches from regen to break pads and that can be disconcerting until you learn them.

For no price difference T8 is a no brained for 90% of the people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 14:17   #3
Haldex
Premier Member

What Deman77 said about the D5. If you don't do much open road (D5 will beat T8 in open road consumption, but T8 excels in city traffic..) and limited offroad/snow use (ie. you don't require proper AWD..) - T8 is probably a better choice.
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 14:33   #4
tabber

If it's cheaper, its a no brainer I would say. Assuming you will bother to charge it at home for short journeys, anything less than ~20 miles is then on battery alone. Even if the journey is 40 miles, half of it is on battery, so it still boosts the mpg. We were getting over 60mpg avg with mixed short / medium trips until a recent 2000km round trip to the south of France.

If you regularly do 100 mile+ motorway journeys, or wont be charging it at home, you could argue against it. But even then, it is a much better specced, more performant car.
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 14:56   #5
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber View Post
If it's cheaper, its a no brainer I would say. Assuming you will bother to charge it at home for short journeys, anything less than ~20 miles is then on battery alone. Even if the journey is 40 miles, half of it is on battery, so it still boosts the mpg. We were getting over 60mpg avg with mixed short / medium trips until a recent 2000km round trip to the south of France.

If you regularly do 100 mile+ motorway journeys, or wont be charging it at home, you could argue against it. But even then, it is a much better specced, more performant car.

Regarding op questions what’s the deal with the battery pack? How much do they cost and how long are they warranted for.

4 years down the line you don’t want to pay 10k for a new pack (I am not familiar with the battery deal).
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 15:45   #6
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 XC90 D5 View Post
an XC90 2.0 T8[390] Hybrid PowerPulse
A T8 Powerpulse??
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 15:52   #7
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Regarding op questions what’s the deal with the battery pack? How much do they cost and how long are they warranted for.

4 years down the line you don’t want to pay 10k for a new pack (I am not familiar with the battery deal).
8years. Most hybrids and ev have long warranties on electric power train to combat those fears.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 16:18   #8
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
A T8 Powerpulse??
That would be a dream combo.. a D5 PP plugin hybrid but with a driveshaft-driven rear wheels.. I'll sign now, thank you very much!
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 17:10   #9
Milliner

I think it's fairly clear that unless all you do is commute a short distance, the claimed emission/figures are nonsense. But...you are getting a ~400bhp SUV.

A few niggles aside, I'd thoroughly recommend the T8. You get the best of all worlds (except handling - it's not bad as such, but you certainly feel the weight). Massively practical too as you keep the seven seats and most of the boot, unlike the German equivalents.

The silence when moving around at low speed adds to the premium feel though and depending on how you use it, you can take a considerable amount of exhaust fume out of built up areas, which I also like.

As was pointed out, you do get a few extras thrown in too, although the aux heater is more a necessity than an extra.

I'd never go back to a diesel now though after years of them. Volvo certainly don't want us to anyway....
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milliner For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 17:49   #10
MaDProFF
Master Member

As some have said it is a no brainer.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colleague car, hybrid, pch, xc90