Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 tuning box

Views : 2366

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2019, 21:55   #31
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
I'm all for being educated by those that know better, so please do explain the basics as you see them.
Perhaps you think it blows constantly? I do look forward to your explanation and I'm sure there are plenty of on-line references you can quote.
the System has a compressor that provides air flow into a reservoir which stores a volume of air under pressure. There is then a solenoid valve which opens under low rpm and an increased throttle position. This airflow does not increase the peak performance and depletes in a few seconds.

The systems job is not to increase power but to lower the Rev range at which the forced induction may operate for the few seconds that the exhaust gasses are insufficient to spin the turbo vanes.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2019, 21:56   #32
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
the System has a compressor that provides air flow into a reservoir which stores a volume of air under pressure. There is then a solenoid valve which opens under low rpm and an increased throttle position. This airflow does not increase the peak performance and depletes in a few seconds.

The systems job is not to increase power but to lower the Rev range at which the forced induction may operate for the few seconds that the exhaust gasses are insufficient to spin the turbo vanes.
Given the choice between a power pulse and non power pulse engine I would probably chose the power pulse but it would be no deal breaker. The complexity and additional parts for small gain are not of massive advantage.
Old May 9th, 2019, 21:59   #33
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshirebob View Post
I was surprised to read the D4 also has two turbos..

The Powerpulse only works in the lower gears so the extra 40ish bhp must come from different components/bigger turbos as when mapped the D4/D5 still achieve different outputs.

I’d love more ‘go’ in my D4 but this is the first car I’ve had that I’ve not tuned at the first opportunity.. something about the lazy, relaxed feeling of the car that makes me think the benefit from tuning will be lessened.

Plus it’s not even mine - it’s leased, and I’m scared something will go horribly wrong!!

If it does happen it will be mapped. Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t touch a tuning box if it was given to me. The prices they now charge are comical, probably because there’s a growing market of people being fooled that you can fit one of these and simply remove it if it all goes pear shaped.
I have seen no reference to the Powerpulse only working in lower gears, only at low engine revs. Of course if you do floor it from idle, a low or lowish gear will be engaged by default.

The issue with D4 that makes the Powerpulse system on the D5 worthwhile is that even though the D4 has twin turbos and the smaller, more responsive one defaults at low revs, when accelerating from idle the management system must limit the fuel injected to balance the amount of air available for soot free combustion. As load increases, gas flow increases, so spinning the turbo faster, but as I said, in that initial phase where turbo is not up to speed and compressing the air, fuel and therefore acceleration is limited to minimise excess soot which would block the DPF quite quickly.

The D5 avoids this by spinning the turbo up instantly to speed with a strong but very brief pulse of compressed air, allowing more fuel to be injected sooner and therefore a near zero lag time upon acceleration.

However there is an expert here with a completely alternative view of how powerpulse works and why, apparently. I for one look forward with great interest his alternative theory of how it works, because I am apparently ignorant and mistaken. We shall see.

EDIT
In the time I took to compose this, he has posted and I fail to see where he differs substantially from my explanation of the system, despite him a accusing me of some ignorance of the subject. Very puzzling character.

Last edited by Quacker; May 9th, 2019 at 22:10.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quacker For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2019, 22:06   #34
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:

So how is that different to my detailed explanation both before and composed during your composition of this post? What have I missed? More to the point, how is it that you missed an accurate interpretation of what I wrote in quite clear terms?
Old May 9th, 2019, 22:22   #35
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
So how is that different to my detailed explanation both before and composed during your composition of this post? What have I missed? More to the point, how is it that you missed an accurate interpretation of what I wrote in quite clear terms?
You described it as a compressor that shoots a pulse of air. It’s actually a compressor, reservoir, solenoid, dp sensor, control ecu, air separator, it’s not a simple system.

It also provides a large volume flow rate for several seconds.
Old May 9th, 2019, 22:27   #36
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
You described it as a compressor that shoots a pulse of air. It’s actually a compressor, reservoir, solenoid, dp sensor, control ecu, air separator, it’s not a simple system.

It also provides a large volume flow rate for several seconds.
You forgot to list the pipes, connectors, fasteners and electrical cables.
Old May 9th, 2019, 22:34   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO11VLO View Post
Does your car have polestar?
No it doesn't.

Did you fit the box yourself, and if so how difficult was it?
Yes took all of 5 minutes, very easy all you do is plug it in 5 places and secure it.
Did you go for the bluetooth app control or not?
I did with this one yes and is very useful.
thanks
Answers above

As for the powerpulse... My understanding is what's been said, it basically has a reservoir of air that is used to squirt air into the turbos to reduce lag. Maybe the d5 has a bigger turbos for more power? Must be something as remaped or tuning boxes on a d4 still produce less power.
225 is offline   Reply With Quote