Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing gear replacement

Views : 403

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2020, 20:13   #1
Warrington Dave

Default Timing gear replacement

Good morning Chaps.
After reading lots of posts I have decided to ask for your help.
I have a 1967 P1800S. I have fitted electric ignition but the timing marks still 'wander' when using the strobe light. I have tested the timing gear and there is a lot of wear...…...and so I plan to replace the gears with one of the many kits available.
My question, can the gears be replaced with the engine still in the car?
Thanks in advance
Dave
Warrington Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 20:46   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Dave;

Welcome to this Forum!

A small amount of "wandering Timing" is possible even with a electronic ignition (give magnitude!) and "Wear" can also be interpreted in multiple ways (how did you "test"?)...dynamically, Timing should return fairly consistently after blipping throttle...if it does not, Timing Gear Hub separation can be suspected.

Telltale sounds are often emitted by a loosening, but not yet completely separated Timing Gear. See Link!

Statically, if you remove Dist Cap to allow monitoring Rotor position, and turn Crankshaft back and forth at Crankbolt, Rotor should move back and forth also, with less than 10 Deg or so of lost motion of Crankshaft...more then that, Timing Gear Hub separation can be suspected.

I've collected much about TG here, including replacement notes and link to Derek's video, where you can hear the classic knocking noises typical of a TG on its way out (but maybe still good enough to get one home!): https://www.sw-em.com/Timing%20Gear%20Notes.htm ...and to anwer your question: Yes, TG can be replaced with engine in the vehicle.

Good Hunting from Connecticut!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 00:04   #3
old fart
Master Member

On Amazons there is plenty of room to change the gears once the radiator is removed, so I would think the same would apply to your car.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 06:53   #4
Warrington Dave

Hello Chaps
Thanks for getting back to me and for the advice.
I will make a check as suggested by Ron and if there is too much play I will take out the rad as suggested by OF.
Thanks again boys.
Best regards
Dave
Warrington Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 09:52   #5
Underdrive

Smile

Nothing personal against you Dave, but.....I have never understood some people's concerns about fibre timing gears and choosing to replace them with noisier steel ones (except for competition). Our B18/20 engines are not too noisy for OHV designs of their era, partly due to the choice of fibre timing gears instead of chains. Chains stretch over time, become rattly and can cause a lot of damage if they break, modern OHC engines use toothed belts that need changing at typically 60k miles or so. When a fibre timing gear starts to break up it often gives plenty of warning and is unlikely to cause any more damage than giving you a long walk home. So when after 50yrs of good service, why not replace with another fibre gear it will probably live longer than you and hopefully so will the car
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Underdrive For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 09:58   #6
arcturus
arcturus

I second the motion. Changed to steel on the 144 when timing gear went belly up. (broken tooth) Noisy. The fiber gear on my B20 is still good after sixty years
Old Jan 17th, 2020, 10:59   #7
omc 47
VOC Member

Hi all,

Dave, many years ago when my then Amazon was the daily family transport we set off for a weekend to Weston Super Mare (familiar Seaside resort in UK). Some 100 miles later on arrival there was this clatter on tickover.
The car sat all Weekend unused and on the return journey which was mostly M5 Motorway the gear clatter became louder but only when back on A & B roads where lower revs and idling were obligatory and the fibre gear was put under more stress from the camshafts inconsistant revs.
After the successful return I fitted a new fibre kit and the centre boss had completely separated from the gear it but still worked (just about).

Which just shows how tough these engines are and also indicates how much notice you will have of any pending failure.

Best Wishes............ Andy
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to omc 47 For This Useful Post: