Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

combined inlet & exhaust manifold

Views : 831

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 15:49   #1
93240se
VOC Member 3801

Question combined inlet & exhaust manifold

Help ! I need a bit of Information please. I need to replace a cracked exhaust manifold and have sourced a good condition combined inlet & exhaust manifold to fit my B18D engine. Can I just replace the two separate ones with the combined version? I can see a minor bit of fettling required for the throttle linkage on the bulkhead but other than that will it fit OK? I also have a replacement twin downpipe to fit the new manifold.
VOC 3801
Regards, Richard
93240se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 16:56   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Richard;

I'm presuming were speaking about an Amazon here, but comments are fundamentally the same for an 1800.

The two separate piece manifolding configuration can indeed be replaced by the one-piece...obviously, you have already though about, and procured the 2-1 exhaust downpipe (I've seen where some examples of these might need a bit of "dent tuning" to clear the bell-housing, and some fitting will be necessary to connect up to the rest of the exhaust system). As you have also correctly noticed, the Throttle shaft support bracket on the intake manifold side is angled on the one-piece, but this can easily be made up with a little sheetmetal work...Firewall pivot does not need adjustment.

See also: https://www.sw-em.com/manifolding_notes.htm)

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 17:05   #3
93240se
VOC Member 3801

Thumbs up manifolds

Thanks Ron for a speedy reply. The car is a 1959 PV but has an 1800 B18D engine fitted, twin SU carbs and single exhaust. Hopefully I can now get on with changing the 2 manifolds for a single one. I discovered the nuts / studs are reasonably easy to undo so that's an advantage!
The link you sent is really useful.
Regards, Richard
93240se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 17:54   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Richard;

Always remember to give model when asking...often it will make a huge difference...in the case of a '59 PV, if it had a B16 originally (which I suspect given the year of manuf.), firewall throttle mount may need some TLC/adjustment...if this is the case, let me know as I can fwd a link to another owner who recently had to do this.

Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 21:01   #5
DORETTI

Hi Ron
Thank you for an interesting article. I have a 1961 PV544 with twin SUs and was wondering if it was possible to fit a twin outlet exhaust manifold and it looks like it is. I do have a combined cast iron manifold with strange butterflies, how difficult would it be to cut off the inlet manifold? I have seen a Triumph TR3 fitted with twin choke SUs, not a great carb apparently.
Cheers Richard
DORETTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 21:59   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Doretti;

If you have a combined Intake/Exhaust Manifold with secondary Throttles, like this:

...installed in a 544, you already have dual down exhaust pipes, as this Manifold only exists in the 4-2, 2-1 configuration, so I believe that answers the first question.

"...how difficult would it be to cut off the inlet manifold?" Simple, in this age of power tools, and this wouldn't be breaking new ground...!

"I have seen a Triumph TR3 fitted with twin choke SUs," [I don't even know what twin Choke SUs are...I think one Choke linkage per carb is just fine!] ...not a great carb apparently. [Says who?...I don't agree!]

Cheers
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 10:43   #7
DORETTI

Hi Ron
Thank you for your advice, I have the standard manifolds on the car and a cast iron combined manifold in the shed which I will now attack with an angle grinder. I would love a pair of twin choke SUs but like hens teeth, Triumph used them at Le Mans so I guess they can be made to work well, the TR3 owner I saw was struggling.
Cheers Richard
DORETTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 14:28   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Yes Triumph did use the twin choke SU but that was mainly due to the connection between BL or whatever it was called then, and their connections with SU. Not a success and Webers were more efficient and gave more power so they SU's faded away.
I have some pictures somewhere on my HD of these carbs on a stall at Beaulieu that I took a few years ago. Expensive! I can post here if interested. Ron, you might be interested in them too?
The late cast combined manifold without the butterflies is the best option. Not too rare and then everything just bolts in. It is twin outlet.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 14:49   #9
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Derek;

...certainly interested, and happy to study them...I know there were many variations of the SUs over the years of production, and different vehicle applications, so it would be good to see them in one place for the purpose of comparison...

Cheers