Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trailer towing B and B+E licence rules explained

Views : 5795

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2012, 17:47   #41
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
VR,

Just had a look and it is not too clear is it?

The way I read it though is that existing B & B+E drivers will be able to continue with their current entitlement (that existed when they passed their test) with the exception for heavier trailers >3,500kg (trailer only weight) where even existing trailer drivers will require C1+E entitlement on your license.

This will catch out a lot of horse pullers and perhaps those people with vehicle trailers pulling large cars or 4x4's.

Rules for new drivers from 19th Jan 2013:

If you pass your test to drive cars or small vehicles up to 3,500 kilograms (kg) (category B) from 19 January 2013, you’ll be able to tow:

•light trailers weighing no more than 750 kg

•trailers weighing more than 750 kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle (car or small vehicle) and the trailer is not more than 3,500 kg

To begin with it sounds like complete contradiction that new drivers can only tow trailers UPTO 750kg then the very next point says trailers OVER 750kg!!!

The only word difference is 'LIGHT' trailers upto 750kg then means heavy trailers over 750kg but overall weight of vehicle and trailer not exceeding >3,500kg.

I get it but it is not clear nor laid out very well.

I think they should just cut the entitlement across the board for EVERYONE!
Exactly.Thats the confusing part.Yes you can - no you can't...!!

I am pretty good at interpreting clauses with possible 'double meaning' although this one has me stumped a bit!

I have also taken it,like yourself,as possibly meaning 'if you want to tow a trailer that weighs over 3500kg' rather than an all up combined weight. If its a combined weight of 3500kg I will be restricted like everyone else, and it will be a nuisance, although if its just a trailer weighing over 3500kg I will not be affected as I cannot see myself towing anything this heavy....and I have not got a car capable of towing 3500kg anyway..lol

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 17:58   #42
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumbrianmale View Post
Have a look at your license, I have the older grandad rights, upto 7500 vehicle. My license clearly shows categories B, BE, C1, C1E, D1, and D1E so therefore I am already covered. It was the later licenses which didn't get C1, D1, C1E, and D1E entitlements.
Yes I have all those plus FKL, tractors,mowers and electric cars and 3 wheelers(why would I need an 'entitlement' to drive an electric vehicle?). In fact it apears I am unable to drive a road roller (apart from as a provisional driver..lol - is that what spreads and flattens tarmac?) and an HGV.That seems it.

Regards
Old May 20th, 2012, 18:22   #43
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

on mine it has
A
B
BE
B1
C
CE
C1E
D1
D1E
H
FLKNP
Old May 20th, 2012, 18:42   #44
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
on mine it has
A
B
BE
B1
C
CE
C1E
D1
D1E
H
FLKNP
Seems the same as mine apart from N....although I do not appear to have a 'P' which is moped??? I do remember being pulled on my moped for not having L plates when I was 18, and it was fine as I didnt need them as I had passed my car test.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2012, 20:29   #45
xc70jason
Premier Member

Very similar too mine Mike,
A
B
BE
C
CE
C1E
D
DE
D1E
fklnp.

I would think Mike that if you were too let your class 1 go you would still be still legal to tow,as Cumbrianmale say's,grandfather right's.

Pre 97 anyone with a car licence could drive owt up to 7.5t

Jason
Old May 20th, 2012, 21:41   #46
SonyVaio
VOC Member

The main confusing part is "Will grandfather rights exist for trailers above >3,500kg"??? I would suggest as has already been said - those with C1E already on their license will be fine but those without who may currently be able to tow >3,500kg will now come in line with new drivers too.

'I quote'

Existing car or small vehicle drivers

If you already have a licence to drive cars or small vehicles (category B and BE), you'll keep your entitlement to tow trailers. Your entitlement to tow trailers will stay as it was when you passed your driving test.

To tow heavier trailers after 19 January 2013, you'll need to follow the rules for new drivers, below.

New drivers from 19 January 2013

If you pass your test to drive cars or small vehicles up to 3,500 kilograms (kg) (category B) from 19 January 2013, you’ll be able to tow:
•light trailers weighing no more than 750 kg
•trailers weighing more than 750 kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle (car or small vehicle) and the trailer is not more than 3,500 kg

Category BE

If your trailer weighs over 750 kg and the combined trailer and towing vehicle weight is more than 3,500 kg, you’ll need to pass a further test. The trailer you tow must not be heavier than 3,500 kg. This test will be shown on your driving licence as category BE.

Category C1E

To tow a trailer weighing more than 3,500 kg with a car or small vehicle (category B), you’ll need to pass a test for category C1E.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2012, 19:34   #47
R0G

Re the new Jan 2013 rules

The actual UK legal wording for this EU directive has not yet been exactly worked out

The DVLA released this info as a GUIDE to what the changes MIGHT be

Phone the DVLA and you will get the same response I did - four times - "We have not yet had any info passed onto us in relation to the new rules so please wait until they are put into UK law"

What they are definite of is this - there will be NO CHANGES to current licence entitlements for pre Jan 2013 licence holders

Pre 1997 licence holers will not be affected nor those post 1997 licence holders

It does SEEM that the 3500 MAM rule for B licence towing will stay
It does SEEM that the 4250 limit will be abolished for post Jan 2013 new drivers
It does SEEM that the kerb weight and trailer MAM weight rule for B licence towing MAY be abolished - but unlikely
It is DEFINITE that new drivers after Jan 2013 will NOT be able to tow trailers over 3500 kgs on a B+E licence ..... err ...... go on .... who tows trailers over 3500 kgs MAM now with a B category vehicle .... I do not know of anyone!!
R0G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 23:25   #48
volvorocks
Rodney

ROG

You may be able to answer this.

I have no 'P' entitlement on my licence.

'P' is moped which is a given when you pass your car test so you can drive without L plates, which I remember about being pulled up for not having them displayed only to let the officer know I had passed my full car test (circa 30 years ago this) so I did not need L plates.

I have provisional 'A' which is motorcyle, so does this cover mopeds without L plates?..or even mopeds at all?

My other half even has 'P' although due to being a 'new' driver (post 97) would have to take a CBT to ride a moped without L plates

Not that I can ever see myself on a moped...lol....although one never knows although I appear not to have any form of moped licence...or do I ..??

Thanks for your input
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:57   #49
R0G

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
ROG

You may be able to answer this.

I have no 'P' entitlement on my licence.
I can see no reason as to why so I think it is a DVLA error

I can only suggest contacting them with your licence to hand and asking why
R0G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:56   #50
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0G View Post
I can see no reason as to why so I think it is a DVLA error

I can only suggest contacting them with your licence to hand and asking why
So even though I have passed my car test,and P is a given as a result of doing so,does the fact P is not on my licence mean I am not allowed to ride a moped?

Its been like this for nigh on 3 decades and I have only just noticed now!! I do not fancy contacting the Dvla as I have heard horror stories about people losing certain entitlement when they alter their licence, eg a simple change of address even, and I do not really need moped anyway!!

Cheers