Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2010 xc90 D5 raido issues, poor recption

Views : 625

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2018, 20:26   #1
Peterspencer

Default 2010 xc90 D5 raido issues, poor recption

Hi Folkes.

We have an xc90 which has recently started having issues with the radio.
On start it appears to loose its signal and cant detect stations but after a short while it works as normal, think it may be moisture related as it happened to me when the car had been left in a very windy wet spot.

I suspect corosion somewhere?

Is the aerial and power amp in the celing, at the back near the tailgate, what do the aerials in the side rear windows do and are therw amplifiers for these.

Is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance for your kind support
Peterspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 20:54   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Important here is to know whether the issue is related to AM or FM or both
Also important to know is whether you have RTIA navigation with RDS-TMC traffic messages on the nav

The FM system uses 2 antennas: one on the rear left, and one on the rear right side windows

The AM system uses one antenna only, the main antenna, which is I believe rear left (the window with more on-glass elements)

The Volvo radios do unfortunately have a not so uncommon problem with the tuner module dieing, and the only fix is a replacement radio.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 24th, 2018, 21:39   #3
Peterspencer

Default Reply

No nav on the car, FM is an issue but not sure about AM as its not cricket on radio 4 ATM

Is it easy to change the radio.
Old Dec 25th, 2018, 10:50   #4
john langrick
Master Member

Just another thought... Have you fitted any after market led lights coincident with your failed reception?

John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2018, 13:43   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

If you have no nav, the 2 x antenna coax cables go directly to the radio.

If FM has failed completely then it is highly unlikely to be the antennas, antenna amplifiers or cables.
Why?
Because there is 2 of each, and for both antennas, or both amplifiers, or both cables to have failed at the same time is very unlikely.

But VIDA would tell you for sure because you can test each antenna in turn to see which one is working - VIDA monitors the reception signal strength of the main and the sub antenna, and thus you can see which one is working, and which has died.

So it is more likely to be the radio itself: which is the box containing the CD player/changer, inside the dash
Easy to replace.
BUT I have heard conflicting stories as to whether the radio is coded to the car or not. Mainly due to the anti-theft system.
A brand new unit is always guaranteed to work. But needs programming to the car, due to the anti-theft system.
I don't know about 2nd hand units.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Dec 25th, 2018, 13:58   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Each side window antenna has an antenna amplifier where the window connection is made to the coax cable.
You cannot really test the antenna amplifier other than checking the signal with it connected, and with it disconnected.
As 2 FM antennas exist, you need to isolate and test each in turn.
And check the amplifier has power, and is bolted down properly, and has no corrosion on it or the ground connection
Old Dec 25th, 2018, 17:02   #7
Peterspencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
Just another thought... Have you fitted any after market led lights coincident with your failed reception?

John l
No, all as standars
Old Dec 25th, 2018, 17:08   #8
Peterspencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Each side window antenna has an antenna amplifier where the window connection is made to the coax cable.
You cannot really test the antenna amplifier other than checking the signal with it connected, and with it disconnected.
As 2 FM antennas exist, you need to isolate and test each in turn.
And check the amplifier has power, and is bolted down properly, and has no corrosion on it or the ground connection
Many thanks.

I am going to work allong the route that one of the amps is suspect as it does sometimes give a very weak radio reception just,like you would get on my classic rangie had you not extended the aerial.

Will do some digging and see if there is any corosion.

Its working fine today so one of them issues that will be difficult to ensure a fix
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 10:28   #9
Croft

Default Just a quick check..

I have a 2008 V70 that developed poor radio reception. Having read the posts on the forum, I started to have a quick look. Noticed that at the top edge of the rear quarter lights have pop-on connectors to the glass wire elements that then run into the headlining. One of these had become detached, probably caught on boxes I had loaded into the boot space.

Simple re-connect - all seems good.
Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Croft For This Useful Post: