Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

wants to straighten

Views : 430

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2019, 04:10   #1
DonHS

Default wants to straighten

I have a 2003 D5 SE AWD that only wants to go in straight lines. I was taking a 90 degree corner to the left and my car jerked the steering wheel violently to the right and almost put me under a Dennis. Volvo garage is mystified, have tried 2 recon power steering racks but no change. When car is stationary and you turn the steering wheel you can feel it twitching to straighten itself but when the car is lifted off the front wheels all seems perfectly normal. Car been lounging in my garage ever since. Any help will be very gratefully received as my fab 2006 model just got totalled by a newly qualified driver who apparently forgot how to drive round a parked car. I'm utterly gutted, car-less and desperate.
DonHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 04:23   #2
Dancake
Premier Member

Have you checked the anti-roll bar and front struts for anything amiss? When was the last time the car had a wheel alignment? You say you've tried two reconditioned steering racks, but have you tested the pump and checked that the correct fluid is being used? It should be green CHF. As far as reconditioned racks go, it isn't unheard of for them to be faulty straight out of the box. Where did you buy them from?
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 04:55   #3
DonHS

Thank you for replying. Wheel alignment checked before garage changed steering racks. Volvo got both racks and installed them. Supplier checked and reconditioned my original which has now been put back on so 3 now been tried. Can't remember name of the company but they were very helpful and my local volvo garage been using them for years. New pump fitted but Volvo very graciously took it back into stock at no charge as it made no difference to the problem. I haven't had anti-roll bar checked that I know of but I know the garage checked struts. Ran a diagnostic, only bit I can remember is it saying something about steering wheel angle sensor had an internal fault and that the DTC was not active (no idea what that means). Who best to check anti-roll bar? Volvo or bodywork shop?
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 07:03   #4
Dancake
Premier Member

Any garage should be able to inspect the anti-roll bar as well as the rest of the front end suspension, also paying close attention to the bushings in the control arms. Have a look at the condition of the rear engine vacuum mount too. These things need to be eliminated properly as potential causes. My gut feeling would be that the rack is still the source of the fault, even though the work completed would lead you to think otherwise.
Dancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 07:34   #5
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHS View Post
Thank you for replying. Wheel alignment checked before garage changed steering racks. Volvo got both racks and installed them. Supplier checked and reconditioned my original which has now been put back on so 3 now been tried. Can't remember name of the company but they were very helpful and my local volvo garage been using them for years. New pump fitted but Volvo very graciously took it back into stock at no charge as it made no difference to the problem. I haven't had anti-roll bar checked that I know of but I know the garage checked struts. Ran a diagnostic, only bit I can remember is it saying something about steering wheel angle sensor had an internal fault and that the DTC was not active (no idea what that means). Who best to check anti-roll bar? Volvo or bodywork shop?
I would be having a look here.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 09:40   #6
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
I would be having a look here.
I am with you on this one Darryl , DTC= Diagnostic trouble code.
Stiff and/or Erratic power steering problems!!,get the faults codes read?
Don,Perhaps a visit to a good auto electrician would be more productive?
There is no end of information if you Google it,you have to make clear it is Not electric! I am surprised the Volvo garage didn't go down that route instead of changing racks and pumps. Perhaps the problem is not mechanical at all?

Best regards,Keith.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 09:55   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

A bad steering angle sensor cannot impact the hydro-mechanical power steering pump and steering rack

The only electrical input to the steering is the Sports model (R-Design) which has speed dependent variable power steering using an electrically operated hydraulic valve to change the rate of power steering applied.

Anything where the steering system feels like the wheels want to run straight instead of around the turn has to be a mechanical or hydraulic issue.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 09:09   #8
DonHS

A big thank you to all of you for your advice and experience. I will work my way round to getting all your suggestions looked into. I'm spending a lot of time arguing with the insurance ppl atm. I've looked at replacing my 2007 model (sorry, I prev said it was 2006) but they want me to take 1.5k less than I can find a replacement for with similar spec. Sometimes I think being male would be a help as quite a few (by no means all) seem to try to blind us females with tech stuff when deciding how much my car was worth. Last time I worked on my own cars was about 25 yrs ago when I recognised what was under the bonnet! It's really good to have tech stuff from experts to come back at them with. I truly do appreciate all the help, advice and suggestions you have all given me.
Gratefully yours
Donna