Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

need a new 240, a feeler

Views : 1617

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2010, 23:52   #1
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Default need a new 240, a feeler

I wrote off my car As much as it sucks, I've loved my car for the year I've had it, and I walked away from a 40mph smash to the passenger side front corner of the car. The car still drove too, although it's far too damaged to ever go back on the road.

So here's a feeler, I'm provisionally looking for another 240. I could deal with either saloon or estate, but I'd prefer a 1991-93 model so I get the later LH2.4 fuel injection. Manual box is a must. After spending far too much time and money fixing up rust, dents and paint damage on the old one, I'd like something with the body in nice condition, engine is not as important as mechanical issues can be fixed easily and I have more spares than you can shake a stick at. Non-smoker preferred but not out of the question, and obviously I'd like as many goodies (i.e. leather seats, electric windows etc.) as possible as it saves time over fitting them myself.

I have a series III swb landy, petrol engine, I could use as a swap or PX, it's got pretty rough paint and will need some welding to the chassis for the next MOT but it does have 6 months MOT as it stands. It's not my car personally, but i'm selling it for a friend (who wants £400 for it).

SO does anybody have anything up my street they might be thinking of selling? I'm located in Surrey but distance is not a huge issue (though cars in Scotland and NI are really beyond my reach in practical terms)
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 13:06   #2
cookwibble

mine in for sale section.

1990 GL in red, good solid body, mechanically good.

electrich seats and windows, alpine radio.

6mths tax, 9 mths test.

£400
cookwibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 09:50   #3
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default smashed 240

any parts for sale from that car
???
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 12:57   #4
wooble
Stay gold baby!

Maybe, but looking unlikely. Insurance says I can't have it back because it's a cat B write off, I'm fighting them tooth and claw as I just put in new EBC pads and discs, cruise control, a full tank of fuel and 4 new tyres at christmas.
Old Apr 13th, 2010, 20:05   #5
brodgar
I've Been Banned

i thought you always have the right to buy it back

or you accept the insurance quote conditionally to the car being returned to you
( of course they deduct scrapvalue)

i am interested to hear how you get on

I hate insurance haggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post
Maybe, but looking unlikely. Insurance says I can't have it back because it's a cat B write off, I'm fighting them tooth and claw as I just put in new EBC pads and discs, cruise control, a full tank of fuel and 4 new tyres at christmas.
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 11:23   #6
yragyrag90

The insurance question... I've been through the same.
Well done for buying a Volvo, it probably saved you a lot of pain.

I got mine back although it was a cat 'b' right off.
Just play the waiting game, it costs them to store your car. Also, you can go to where it is and take off anything that is considered cosmetic, just check before you take anything major.
I had to ait around 2 months, but in the end they called me and asked what I wanted to settle the claim, I told them to keep there offer (around £200) and to just let me pick the car up. They did, and by selling bits and bobs, using things for my own car and soon scrapping it, I've managed to make more than that back.

P.S. If I've helped and you feel like rewarding me, I really need an aerial and attachment bits. (I'm missing the Archers)
Cheers.
yragyrag90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 20:42   #7
wooble
Stay gold baby!

I think I'm wearing them down, I've told 'em I want £800 and the car back, of course I won't get £800 but I'll settle for £600 to cover my excess (Direct Lin doesn't tell you that there's an extra £300 excess for under-25s until you try to claim) and the car.

Even if I get it back, I can't help with an aerial I'm afraid, my 240 had an aerial mounted on the roof at the front that I've never seen on another 240, I'd call it aftermarket but there's no evidence the original aerial spot has been filled and sprayed.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 19:43   #8
cookwibble

mine is on ebay now btw
cookwibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 17:22   #9
grollie

Is O/S/F wing and slam panel usable as i am in the market for them.
grollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 16:28   #10
RF82
Trader

This is the car; more pictures sent to your email address.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imported Photos 00612.jpg (251.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Imported Photos 00613.jpg (316.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Imported Photos 00617.jpg (300.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Imported Photos 00618.jpg (263.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Imported Photos 00599.jpg (215.3 KB, 20 views)
RF82 is offline   Reply With Quote