Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Computer MPG

Views : 2505

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 15:53   #11
Jet2 D5
VOC Member

Wink

I have an S60 D5 (185bhp) and the computer gives around 11% high on true calculated over many fills. Volvo Tec has admitted to my dealer around 10% error but appear to have no intention to rectify.

My previous 02 year petrol was only 3.6% out, no explanation offered about the 3X factor.

I have suggested to Volvo Customer Service that the error has been intentionally applied to mask the effect of the reduction in mpg resultant from the particulate filter regeneration system.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 15:48   #12
del0266

I have checked my 04 XC90 D5 several times and the computer consistently gives an optimistic fuel consumption of around 10-12% over the real level. I get an average reading of 33mpg and the real fill-to-fill over a number of tanks consistently comes out at just under 30mpg.

I was disappointed as I'd been lulled into feeling really good about getting 33mpg!

Hope this is helpful.
del0266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 14:13   #13
Rob O

Hi guys, new to this forum so please bear with me.
I hear so many contradictory accounts of XC90 diesel consumption. I have just taken delivery of a sterling grey 06 model D5 (auto) and can only get 22mpg average out of it. Admittedly there are only 6k miles on the clock. Should I be concerned at this level of thirst? I am doing mainly motorway / A-road mileage. Such poor consumption is not long-term acceptable for me as I have to pay for my own fuel and do 25-30k miles per year.

Cheers,
Rob
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 14:35   #14
perussell

You don't say whether you have the 163 or 185 engine although the consumptions are quite similar. 22mpg is way too low! My motoring is 80% M-way, 10% A-road and the rest around town. In town mileage drops to high teens but overall I am seeing the correct side of 30 mpg on a regular basis (even as high as 35 on one occasion fully loaded with a gentle right foot). I think most people see 28-32 in mixed use of the type you describe.
I would certainly get this checked out by your dealer.
Even though it wouldn't account for your problems alone what kind of fuel are you using - supermarket or branded - that does have a slight effect ( 1-2 mpg)
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 16:58   #15
dipsta
Master Member

XC90T6 EXE
i went to dover the other day from leeds, with a trailer on the back with approx 0.5 tonne load.

So total load would be around 1.3 tonnes.

I averaged 13.2MPG.

AAAH! uphill 0.0mpg i was getting at times.

Lovely

I'm thinking of sending the car along with my c70 t5 gt to have both chipped to see if i can marginally improve the MPG.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 17:12   #16
patl

Default D5 Fuel Consumption

Hi Rob,

Get your dealer to do a fuel consumption test.

My 06 D5 has consistently given me 26mpg since new (no change over the first 10,000 miles) in my mostly around town driving. Can get it above 30 if I try when on A roads. My computer is optomistic though !!! Maybe yours is pessimistic ?? Have you done the maths yourself, or are you trusting the computer ??

Patrick.
patl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 20:42   #17
Rob O

Quote:
Originally Posted by perussell View Post
You don't say whether you have the 163 or 185 engine although the consumptions are quite similar. ... Even though it wouldn't account for your problems alone what kind of fuel are you using - supermarket or branded - that does have a slight effect ( 1-2 mpg)
Thanks for getting back guys. This is a great little forum. In answer to your questions above I have the 185 and generally use branded diesel - Shell or BP. I have used the odd drop of Tesco though.

I just got the car back after complaining about the fuel consumption. Apparently they swapped out all sorts of electronic gubbins (I didn't get to see the job card). However the economy has not improved at all. I'll send it back in. I've only had the car for a month as well (i'm still inside the 30-day return period). I've also got this weird problem of the car steaming up whenever I start it, as if the air con is full of water or something. Not great for a six month old car...

Rob
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 14:28   #18
patl

Hi Rob,

I also get a bit of misting on my windscreen (didn't happen in summer). A quick blast with the front window demister gets rid of it in about 20secs. If I don't use the aircon it mists up as well, but I always keep the aircon on.

Patrick.
patl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 20:51   #19
ianu
Premier Member

Smile XC90 computer mpg

At the risk of repeating myself to a number of different people in the forum - I've got a manual D5 (04) - local stuff with kids and family I'm getting 35ish regularly. Long haul regularly 38/39 with point to point motorway stops seeing 42 between fill ups - fantatstic.
The Trip computer has always seemed fine - I checked it when I first got the car to see what the reality was between the computer and the trip/brim to brim and was only ever +/- 1mpg so I installed my faith in it competely.
I've come in on fumes a few times - and put more fuel in than I thought it held - about 69 litres is the most in one stop (too close for comfort really).

A car this size - I don't think you can beat it. Austria 6 up and a roof box - 38mpg ??? fantastic.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 21:26   #20
Rob O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
Local stuff with kids and family I'm getting 35ish regularly. Long haul regularly 38/39 with point to point motorway stops seeing 42 between fill ups - fantatstic.

Ian, I am driving a geartronic so won't manage economy like that but it should only be 2-3 mpg out. I can only hope that the car will loosen up over time. It's got 6.8k on the clock.

Thinking about what you said yesterday, i drove the car in manual mode and found it to be much more responsive. You can really exploit the power of the engine in manual mode.

I'll have another chat with my dealer.

rob