Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear Number Plate Fixing Screws

Views : 4017

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2015, 10:41   #1
XC70 NYorks

Default Rear Number Plate Fixing Screws

Can anyone help?

Just picked up my XC70 (MY16) which is a great looking car, except for the very large aluminium flat headed retaining screws fitted on the rear number plate, which look like something you would find on the Fourth Bridge!

Am I correct in thinking the retaining screw nuts are fixed inside the tailgate structure, so if I remove the screws to see what size they are the nuts wont fall away?

Any ideas on the size of the thread and advice on possible plastic screw or color coded covered alternatives.

Appreciate any advice.
XC70 NYorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 10:46   #2
I-S
Premier Member

Personally I'd be inclined to get a replacement numberplate and attach it with number plate tape for the screwless look, as well as being harder for someone to steal your plates for bilking.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 11:53   #3
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
Personally I'd be inclined to get a replacement numberplate and attach it with number plate tape for the screwless look, as well as being harder for someone to steal your plates for bilking.
+1 on that, unless you live in France where number plates have to be POP RIVETED ON........ yes a permanent fixture!! I would use double sided "number plate tape" available from most car accessory shops just a I-S advises.
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 11:55   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I went for tape. But don't make the mistake I originally made.

The bold points are raised and you will likely have a section of foam in the middle between the two bolt holes. This raised the profile of the fixing point away from the flat of the number plate area. You need to use, probably, two or maybe three layers of sticky tape (one on top of another etc) to raise the plate away from the raised bolt fix point and the foam.

Then you'll be good to go..

The curved front bumper is also a PITA and you would be well advised to store the plate in a curved position near mild heat to get the plate into a similarly curved state as the bumper.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2015, 13:11   #5
Model flyer
Master Member

No need to worry about the nuts falling off they are moulded in. Tape is good but make sure to degrease before fitting as any contamination will shorten the adhesives life . Fit along the top edge and edges leaving gap along bottom for water to drain .

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 17:40   #6
green van man
Premier Member

I used both tape and fixing screws on mine. From memory the nuts are M5 and standard number plate plastic bolts fit. The tape was to prevent the light fingered members of society having them away easily.
Having seem many number plates laying in the road afraid I do not trust the tape alone.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 18:59   #7
tt82
Forum Support Team

I had metal screws in mine that seized. When I tried undoing them, the heads simply twisted off. So I had no option but to grind them down and tape them on, though I was planning on doing that anyway!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2015, 19:35   #8
I-S
Premier Member

It depends on the tape - our plates were coming loose, but they'd been put on with regular (white) double-sided foam sticky tape.

What you need is what is sold as "number plate tape" by halfrauds. It is black, with green peel-off cover. It is absurdly strong and will not come loose.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote