Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Instantaneous Vs Average

Views : 1298

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2019, 15:57   #11
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
Spot on!

I put diesel in my XC90 when it needs it and accept , as I have done from the start , that it is not an economical car.

Anyone worrying about fuel consumption on one of these has bought the wrong car.
Well that really depends. Firstly I cant imagine anyone buying a vehicle without at least some consideration of the fuel consumption. Secondly if it is abnormal then it may be indicative of an underlying issue.
WrathOfKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 15:58   #12
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondorXC90 View Post
My XC90's instantaneous often shows a fairytale equivalent of 99.99MPG.......

If only!!!!!!
Yes I often get moist when free wheeling too ..... if only
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 16:00   #13
WrathOfKain

Defo seems to be the the instantaneous if gibberish.

I am waiting to the end of this tank and will see what the brim to brim is and then will do another couple for good measure.

I have the TORQUE app and will give that a go too.
Old Dec 24th, 2019, 20:41   #14
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Spot on!

I put diesel in my XC90 when it needs it and accept , as I have done from the start , that it is not an economical car.

Anyone worrying about fuel consumption on one of these has bought the wrong car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathOfKain View Post
Well that really depends. Firstly I cant imagine anyone buying a vehicle without at least some consideration of the fuel consumption. Secondly if it is abnormal then it may be indicative of an underlying issue.

Correct, that's why I already clearly stated that I knew and accepted that an XC90 would not be an economical vehicle before ever buying one.

I expected about 25mpg around the doors and 35 mpg on a run and so far that has been a fair estimate hence why I never worry about it and put diesel in when needed.

We have a Honda Jazz as a second car and that is incredibly fuel efficient as well as being a bloody good car, but won't pull the caravan

Horses for courses eh?

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 15:16   #15
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Correct, that's why I already clearly stated that I knew and accepted that an XC90 would not be an economical vehicle before ever buying one.

I expected about 25mpg around the doors and 35 mpg on a run and so far that has been a fair estimate hence why I never worry about it and put diesel in when needed.

We have a Honda Jazz as a second car and that is incredibly fuel efficient as well as being a bloody good car, but won't pull the caravan

Horses for courses eh?
Also clearly stated ...... "Anyone worrying about fuel consumption on one of these has bought the wrong car" .....

I would be happy with 25mpg and 35mpg ....... I am down at 19mpg and 25mpg .... tyres @ 39psi .... AC etc off

When I drove it up from york it actually did pretty well if memory serves with 38mpg ...... now beginning to wonder if i mis-read it from a 28mpg

I am not overly concerned with the running costs .... its more .... is there an underlying issue

Will give it a go monitoring it the old fashioned way and see if I can validate electronic average.

Was reading about condors intercooler issues and a drop in mpg and performance but other than the mpg i feel that my xc90 is a beast and you can feel there is plenty of power at a touch of the pedal and then some albeit i am light on the foot
The Following User Says Thank You to WrathOfKain For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 17:13   #16
CondorXC90

I add some Diesel Rhino - one of those love-them-or-hate-them fuel additives - to our old VW T4 which has done over 350,000 miles- every time I fill the tank I add 50ml - and just ordered a bottle for the XC90. I know some people call them snake oil, but it makes a difference on our ancient T4 Caravelle........which goes like the wind is behind it and amazes everyone.........

Fuel injectors, renew or clean EGR valve, engine cleaners like Terraclean........maybe worth a punt. But check the intercooler carefully. From your description it sounds fine to me if the car is performing so well, but definitely make sure of it.........

XC90 2008 Sport SE Geartronic, sunroof, privacy, heated seats, phone/RTI, Nav, HP Sound,
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CondorXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 19:00   #17
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathOfKain View Post
Firstly I cant imagine anyone buying a vehicle without at least some consideration of the fuel consumption.
When I bought my BMW 4.4L V8 5 series, I didn't give a damn about fuel consumption.

It had leather, nav, TV, super sound, electronic suspension, luxury everything.

It was, for it's day, a supercar.
New price something like 200,000 NZD.

So who cares about fuel consumption when you have a car like that?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 21:12   #18
WrathOfKain

Quote:
I add some Diesel Rhino - one of those love-them-or-hate-them fuel additives - to our old VW T4 which has done over 350,000 miles- every time I fill the tank I add 50ml - and just ordered a bottle for the XC90. I know some people call them snake oil, but it makes a difference on our ancient T4 Caravelle........which goes like the wind is behind it and amazes everyone.........

Fuel injectors, renew or clean EGR valve, engine cleaners like Terraclean........maybe worth a punt. But check the intercooler carefully. From your description it sounds fine to me if the car is performing so well, but definitely make sure of it.........

Will drop it into the garage and get them to have a look .....also need to get laptop sorted for the Vida/Dice ..... did you pick one up ..... i think you were pondering on it on the same thread.
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 08:58   #19
CondorXC90

I did indeed go for the Vida Dice setup from our very own Cheshired5 on here - I went for the fully preconfigured laptop and Dice combo as I had heard that ebay Dice units were frequent failures and Vida is not always that easily set up with the Dice. It was worth the outlay IMO, as he does warrant the setup absolutely works and will sort it out if there are problems.

Don't just drop it into the garage as they will start messing about and costing you money changing this that and the other. If you really want to, why not change the fuel filter and run a bottle of injector cleaner through a tank? Or consider something like a Terraclean?

XC90 2008 Sport SE Geartronic, sunroof, privacy, heated seats, phone/RTI, Nav, HP Sound,
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 16:27   #20
WrathOfKain

Quote:
I did indeed go for the Vida Dice setup from our very own Cheshired5 on here - I went for the fully preconfigured laptop and Dice combo as I had heard that ebay Dice units were frequent failures and Vida is not always that easily set up with the Dice. It was worth the outlay IMO, as he does warrant the setup absolutely works and will sort it out if there are problems.

Don't just drop it into the garage as they will start messing about and costing you money changing this that and the other. If you really want to, why not change the fuel filter and run a bottle of injector cleaner through a tank? Or consider something like a Terraclean?
Was more thinking getting it on the ramp for a quick check of the intercooler ... i will try and be there when they are doing it.

Yeah I got mine from Cheshire too .... minus the laptop .... got a few lying about so wanted to get them utilized. Still to do the installs but cheshire has promised to support me doing it.

Tried the additive which didnt make much difference .... got family over from France visiting so going to take them on a wee run and get more than my usual 50 miler and see if there is a difference with a longer run albeit not sure what conclusions i can take away from that.