Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I get a v50 t5 with high mileage ?

Views : 1695

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2019, 06:17   #11
Benholder90

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
That's because it was the last real Volvo

No split liners, proper high pressure turbo, remap alone see's the best part of 300bhp and it's not a Ford in a frock like ours
You talking about the t5? What about the d5 compared with s40 d5?
Benholder90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 06:26   #12
Benholder90

Is there any way I can merge this thread with another one? Or change the title of this one?
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 09:14   #13
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benholder90 View Post
I don't know about the older D5 and the newer D5 in terms of reliability/power etc but IMO these cars fall very short on general build quality/poor engineering decisions against the older Volvos.

Having had numerous 'proper' older Volvos in my family and 3 of the P1 platform (2 S40 T5's and a C30 D3) there's no question that these suffer from Ford/Volvos cost cutting

Last edited by FunkyMelon; Jun 14th, 2019 at 09:17.
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 10:32   #14
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
He also meant more in general terms of P1 platform.
Just so you understand - P1 platform is basically S40/V50 from 2004-2012 model years, those are, in simple terms - Ford Focus in nice suit, as most of parts (suspension, drivetrain, electrical components etc) are taken from Ford. You will see FoMoCo logo on a lot of items.
S60/V70 were built on P2 platform that was designed by Volvo and most if not all parts were actually Volvo made/designed. Hence its "the last proper volvo".

As for engines, S40/V50 used whole gamut of engines that were non-volvo (diesels were french, petrol was mazda/ford) but ONLY engines that were different and made actually by Volvo was the 5-cylinder ones so D5/T5 and 2.4i. Ford Focus st/rs is actually using volvo engine, not the other way around.

If you cant decide on S60/S40 my advice is - try driving both. Regardless of engine, the driving feel and parts quality are so different that you will be able to decide much easier. S60 is a huge mofo comparing to S40, same as when you park V50 beside V70 you realise how small the first one is.
As for engines - its much easier to find S60 with good engine (2.0T or D/T5) as those were premium cars and bigger engine was something "given". 5-pots in S40/V50 are so rare because in europe those were a bit of "abomination", even seeing how cramped those are in engine bay you can understand it was a bit "mad idea but hey, lets do it".

Also I can tell you from my experience, older S60 with mid-spec (so lets say 2.0T) will feel much more premium than S40/V50 with mid spec (lets say 1.8 or 2.0D) from the same year.
its just different beasts.

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Jun 14th, 2019 at 11:59.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 11:09   #15
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Agree with this.

The S40 is easier to live with though, especially in terms of how easy it is to get in and out of.

Because of the way the S60's roof slopes down, it is very difficult for rear sear passengers to get in... If you carry rear passengers, you almost always need to move the front seats forward first.

S60 is a poor family car for that reason, so if you intend to carry passengers you should consider the V70, if you want a P2 platform car.

Once the passengers have contorted themselves into the seats, they will be very comfortable however.
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 12:12   #16
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
Because of the way the S60's roof slopes down, it is very difficult for rear sear passengers to get in... If you carry rear passengers, you almost always need to move the front seats forward first.....
...while in s40/v50 you need to leave seats forward all the time otherwise rear passengers will have knees in their teeth
Its actually shocking how small s40/v50 is inside, while s60/v70 have 3seater couch in the back
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 19:49   #17
FunkyMelon
Master Member

I will say though that the S40/V50's have aged far better than the S60/V70.

They're looking quite dated now.
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 21:29   #18
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
I will say though that the S40/V50's have aged far better than the S60/V70.

They're looking quite dated now.
In terms of 'modern' looks, I would say an R-design S40 looks better in some areas but not all.

The back end of the S40 is completely let down by the narrow wheels and bad camber. Also the rear facelift teemed with the r-design spoiler makes the backend look iffy..makes the car look taller than it should look.

My S60 had a very strong stance at the rear...factory wheels were pushed right out to the edge of the arches. Much prefer the back of an S60 to S40. Infact, I want to lose the rear spoiler on my S40 T5 altogether...

S40 definitely looks more modern from the front though, but its a bit too boxy from the side. S60 looks much more elegant from the side.

Car design is something I find quite fascinating.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 20:14   #19
Benholder90

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
The engines are reliable and will do big miles, but at 137k miles the engine will probably feel down on power due to a number of sensors wearing out, so factor in getting those replaced 'as and when you can' if the car feels underwhelming at higher RPM.

Those sensors are:

- TCV (Turbo control valve) - accessible via drivers side wheel arch, or from underneath.
- CBV (Compressor bypass valve) - same as TCV bit a bit trickier to reach.
- Crankcase breather valve - accessible via the top left of engine, by the turbo.
- MAP sensor - sits in the intercooler, accessible via bumper removal.

In terms of major stuff that you'd want to check before buying:

- Has the Timing belt been replaced? (due at 108,000 miles)
- Has the Oil Filter Housing /Diaphram been replaced? (this is likely to have been changed by now, given the age of the mentioned car, but worth checking anyway)

Does it have a sunroof? May be worth avoiding sun roof models due to known issues with water collecting in footwells.

Also the headlights on the car will be RUBBISH, but it is possible to upgrade the internal projector units for approx £120 which makes an enormous difference to the light output, even with regular bulbs.

In terms of high mileage, I will say that Volvo make excellent quality engines that last a long time, provided you do the required maintenance.
You mentioned about the car feeling down on power .. we were talking about the t5 engine but I suppose that goes for any engine?

I looked at a d5 today with 186k miles .. would the same apply to this car also? Would it be worth replacing these sensors you speak of? I mean can you really improve the power of the engine just by changing these sensors? Is there anything else one can do apart from this?
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 02:33   #20
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
You mentioned about the car feeling down on power .. we were talking about the t5 engine but I suppose that goes for any engine?

I looked at a d5 today with 186k miles .. would the same apply to this car also? Would it be worth replacing these sensors you speak of? I mean can you really improve the power of the engine just by changing these sensors? Is there anything else one can do apart from this?
Would be different for the D5s but yes these sensors fade and after the 100k mark its best they are changed to really get the best from the car ... but you have enough to work with on the T5's so these are just minor things really.

Bought mine on 44k and its now on 137k and been great, slapped a remap on it straight away and the car has always delivered.

Also your thing on "Is there anything else one can do" is that to improve power? Yes I would look at getting a performance exhaust and improved induction for the car along with a remap. You can do much more on this platform but really depends how far you want to go.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote