Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Re-registering aggro - V55/5 help needed pls

Views : 3795

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2019, 17:40   #1
SteadyRolling

Default Re-registering aggro - V55/5 help needed pls

Hi everyone, brand new owner of a lovely P1800 ES here, which I brought back from Ireland the other week (originally a UK model so not strictly an import). Will regale you with my engine woes at some other time, but for now is anyone able to help me navigate the V55/5 form for re-registering it at DVLA?

A lot of the boxes to be filled in are clearly aimed at new models, with all the emissions data etc, so I was tempted to leave them blank but didn’t want to run the risk of a rejection. I rang DVLA last week, hoping to find a friendly guide to hold my hand through the process, working through each box in turn, but surprise, surprise, the bloke who answered was a fat lot of help and just told me all the boxes had to be filled in, even though I explained it was first registered in 1972…

So I’ve copied the sections I’m having trouble with below. Some of the notes from the accompanying document that say ‘take from Cert of Conformity’ also say that it’s not necessary to provide that info if you are also supplying an IVA or MSVA certificate, though as I don’t have either of those that’s not much help…

All help gratefully received…

12: Type - notes only say ‘take this info from Certificate of Conformity or IVA/MVSA certificate’

13: Variant - again, from Certificate of Conformity

14: Version - as above

16: HC (g/km or g/kWh) – as above

20: Technical permissible maximum towable mass of the trailer – braked & unbraked - as above
Manual says max permissible trailer weight is 750kg. Am I right in thinking cars manufactured earlier than 1980 or so don’t have to have a braked trailer, so I should enter this value in both boxes?

23: NOx (g/km or g/kWh) – as above

26: Max permissible mass – as above

28: Euro status: ‘take from Cert of Conformity, if shown. Generally shown as exhaust emission level, eg Euro 6’

29: Euro status directive no: ‘take from Cert of Conformity, if shown. Generally with exhaust emissions’

36: CO2 (g/km): from Certificate of Conformity (combined figure). This will be the NEDC figure or equivalent

37: Mass in service (kg): ‘take this info from Certificate of Conformity or get it from the vehicle manufacturer.
Is this curb weight, ie the manual’s stated 1270kg?

42: Stationary sound level (db/A): ‘take from Cert of Conformity

43: Engine speed sound level (min-1): take from Cert of Conformity. The engine speed means the speed at which the readings are taken, (eg 81 [stationary] at 3000 [engine speed] min -1/70.

44: Drive-by sound level (db/A): take from Cert of Conformity

48: Vehicle family identification number: take from Cert of Conformity

49: Specific CO2 emissions: take from Cert of Conformity

50: Deviation factor: take from Cert of Conformity

51: Verification factor: take from Cert of Conformity

52: WTLP test mass (kg): take from Cert of Conformity

53: Electric energy consumption: take from Cert of Conformity

54: Code/group for innovative technology: take from Cert of Conformity

55: Emissions reduction through innovative tech (NEDC): take from Cert of Conformity’

56: Emissions reduction through innovative tech (WLTP): take from Cert of Conformity’
SteadyRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 19:27   #2
ksmi
Master Member

Cool 'Got a new motor john?'

Which part of Ireland has the car come from? Has it number plates on it still? If it's from The Republic/EU, go on line to Gov.uk NOVA Notification of Vehicle Arrivals service. you can inform HMRC. Do you know the original reg.no?
Used to be a darn site easier when there was regional offices,which our lords and masters,in there infinite wisdom ,kindly closed. Bought an Innocenti Mini hatchback,drove it back from Belgium on its original plates,went to vehicle tax office at Luton,spoke to a Human being,and left with my new uk Reg,No. Simple!!!!

Hope this helps,Keith.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 20:01   #3
SteadyRolling

Thanks Keith, yeah, it's from the Republic, and currently on Irish vintage plates. However, I also have its original UK plates which I would like to get it reregistered on.
But now I think of it, the car is officially down as SORNed on the DVLA database according to insurance company, so now I'm wondering if I need to go through all this palaver after all. Maybe I can just send them the Irish logbook and get it unSORNed that way?

The V55/5 - which it seemed I'd need to register an imported vehicle - is officially (and confusingly IMO) called 'application for first vehicle tax and registration of a used motor vehicle' and as this won't be its first registration, theoretically shouldn't be needed. I think another call to them is in order tomorrow.

Oh and yes, have already notified HMRC - that was the surprisingly easy part...
The Following User Says Thank You to SteadyRolling For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 20:02   #4
dingov70
Master Member

I think you may have the wrong form to complete .

I regularly MOT southern Irish cars on their Irish reg No. by making a new entry for the MOT service , using the cars original logbook . for all the relevent details & NEVER been required to complete that list of compost .

DVLA then use the existing registration document along with the NEW UK MOT certificate to issue a UK reg NO. Much of the data required can be found on the V5 or southern Irish equivalent . It is also in Gaelic & Englsih to help us simple testers
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 20:49   #5
SteadyRolling

Yeah, I'm definitely beginning to think I might be on the wrong track now. Dunno why the clown I spoke to at DVLA couldn't have mentioned that. Anyway, will try again tmrw and just ask them what I need to fill in, that avenue might work best.

PS: Alan, got your msg, thx very much - can't reply until I have 30 posts apparently though. Anyway, will see what happens tmrw...
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 23:57   #6
sleek lemur

I have just re-registered a car which was originally UK, but had been exported to Germany. V55 is correct form and you are right, there are many boxes you can't complete. Don't worry about that. You've done your NOVA, yes? That's done online and gives HMRC the info they need to calculate duty. Thank goodness they delayed Brexit, eh?

My biggest confusion was that we need to register our vehicles as taxation class "Historic Vehicle" and that option is not listed on the helpsheet that comes with the V55, which tells you how much vehicle road tax you need to pay. Of course it's Zero in our case. I just filled out the V55 as best I could, put Historic Vehicle in th taxation class and Zero in the tax due box. Three weeks later I got a letter with a nice age-related reg no and confirmation that the car is taxed. I then got my number plates. Actually, shortly after, I got a form confirming to whom it may concern that I am the owner of the car and have the right to buy a number plate. Which was jolly nice of them. So, there you are. Go for it!
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleek lemur For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 12:06   #7
SteadyRolling

Well, I have just got off the phone with DVLA and it really does show it's the luck of the draw when it comes to getting advice at their call centre...

Woman I spoke to was very helpful and knowledgable, unlike the previous bloke. And it's all so simple - yes, the V55/5 IS the form I need. And almost without being prompted, she said that any box that refers to something from the Certificate of Conformity DOES NOT need to be filled in if it's over 10 years old. Unlike what the previous bloke had told me, so I'm gonna take her word for it
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 12:13   #8
SteadyRolling

And here is the follow-up email I received, though it doesnt specifically say owt about the Cert of Conf:

Thank you for contacting DVLA, following our telephone conversation please find details below as discussed for your enquiry to re-import your vehicle.

On its return the vehicle must be registered with the DVLA when it arrives in the country. This must be done as the vehicle can't be used or kept on public roads until it is registered and taxed. The only circumstances in which you can drive the vehicle are to and from a pre-arranged IVA/MOT test and to and from a garage for remedial work following failure to pass the test.

You are required to notify HMRC immediately when a vehicle arrives in the UK. You can find out more at http://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles...k/telling-hmrc.

You should apply to register the vehicle by submitting your application to:

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BE

You will need to submit the following documentation:

filled in application form V55/5 (for used vehicles)
fee for the vehicle tax (cheque or postal order made payable to DVLA Swansea)
the V561 certificate of export, foreign registration document or any other papers relating to the vehicle (must be original)
original current British MOT test certificate (if applicable)
valid insurance certificate or cover note for vehicles being registered to a Northern Ireland address(downloaded or faxed copies are acceptable, however photocopies are not)
photocopies of documentation confirming your name and address
Confirmation of name (one from the list below)

current DVLA paper driving licence
UK/EU or foreign passport
marriage certificate
decree nisi or absolute
birth certificate
Confirmation of address (one from the list below)

utility bill within the last 3 months e.g. gas, electricity water, landline telephone (valid within the last 3 months)
bank/building society statement ( valid within the last 3 months)
medical card
council tax bill for current year
A photocard driving licence is acceptable as proof of name and address, however, if your address has changed the photocard licence would be acceptable as proof of name only.

As you can see from the above list a Local Authority Council Tax bill is permissible for the purpose of confirming address details. However, applicants will still have to provide confirmation of name details to support V55/4 & V55/5 applications.

Proof of identity is needed to ensure that applicants cannot provide false information to make themselves untraceable. Hence the decision to include documents which enable the supplier to verify the name and address quoted on applications.

Please note that if you do not wish to tax the vehicle you may make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) by sending SORN form V890 with the above documentation except the MOT Certificate.

DVLA Swansea retains the right to inspect any vehicle brought for registration.

Once a successful application has been received at the DVLA you should receive a confirmation letter within 10 working days.

A V5C Registration Certificate will be received within 4 weeks.

An information leaflet INF 106 ‘How to import your vehicle into Great Britain (GB)’ can be downloaded at: http://www.gov.uk/government/publica...ted-kingdom-uk and provides detailed advice regarding the documentation required to register an imported vehicle.

The V149 Rates of Vehicle Tax can be found at www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

You are able to download all the mentioned forms or requested they are posted to you at www.gov.uk/dvlaforms
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 17:11   #9
old fart
Master Member

I'm about to register a car I've imported from Sweden, and as far as I can remember from the last one I did, the questions to answer are :- 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 10,30,31,32,33,34,27,46,57, and fill the back in. For question 64 say it is too old.
Good luck.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old fart For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 18:40   #10
SteadyRolling

Yeah, thx OF, that pretty much tallies with what I have left over, although I did manage to fill in one or two others, mainly the weights and dimensions, track width etc, that I got from the manual.