Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A/C control panel flickering, heater starts only after ~5min

Views : 501

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 13:47   #1
S40 Phil

Question A/C control panel flickering, heater starts only after ~5min

My heater doesn't work when cold (this night, it was freezing).

The first time, nothing lights up. After some time, the LEDs on the A/C- and circulating air buttons flicker. After a couple of minutes (~4-5 km drive), the blower, air condition and rear window heating work without any problem.

I have Vol FCR and Brick diag but some times, they struggle to read out the errors and cannot identify the module. Is there any other (free) diag software recommended?

What I already found some times (does not show up every time, probably transient errors):

ECC-212 Temperature Motor Position sensor, SC to to battery
ECC-222 Air distribution motor position sensor, SC to battery
ECC-322 Air distribution motor, OC or active too long
ECC-412 Blower fan motor, SC to ground in signal cable

In the ECU (not the A/C-control unit) is some times the
ECC-342 air conditioning (A/C) relay signal faulty

Has anybody here the secret hint?

If warm, everything works great indeed!

Is that A/C relay probably located in the engine compartment and warms up after cold start?

It's a 1998 S40 T4.

Last edited by S40 Phil; Oct 22nd, 2018 at 13:50.
S40 Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 18:59   #2
gatos
Premier Member

My brothers 2004 V40 had a similar problem a few years ago. When starting the car, the heater control panel would not work at all. No lights, no LED, no controls, nothing. After a couple of minutes driving, the heater control panel would come alive and work perfectly fine. In this case, it was a relay under the driver's footwell that was faulty. Replaced and problem was gone for good

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 22:00   #3
S40 Phil

Thanks for your information.

I guess your brother had a RHD Volvo?

Mine is LHD, so it should be that device?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2_67xPkyW0

Or is there a true relay next to the fusebox?
One of those in 11B?
2005-volvo-s40-engine-diagram-2000-volvo-s40-fuse-box-free-download-wiring-diagrams-schematics[2.jpg

I checked the A/C-relay in the engine compartment but there seems to be everything OK.

Last edited by S40 Phil; Oct 22nd, 2018 at 22:03.
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 21:32   #4
S40 Phil

Some days ago, I replaced the left upper relay above the fuses (picture 11/B). Quite hard to get there.

I just installed a universal relay (normally open) and until now, it works great.

Are there specific requirements (e.g. integrated surge diode) for the relay? I only measured the current the coil consumes. The factory installed one read 0.15 A and my "new" (in fact it's about 30 years old...) one 0.14 A.