Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 – what diesel engine to choose?

Views : 972

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2011, 14:17   #1
BasilBB

Default V50 – what diesel engine to choose?

Hi all.

I’m new to Volvo and to diesels too… and on the verge of buying V50. I have to say, the comments and support I have been reading from other Volvo users in this forum has swayed me! Budget 5.5k – 6.5k. I need mpg near 50mpg (assume driving v. sensibly). I have looked (and search in the archive) but I can’t be sure of the "best" (high mpg, lower maintenence) diesel for best mpg at budget to aim for.

So far.. for best V50 mpg go for… Euro3, or Euro4 but without the “dpf”. Go fo 17" wheels (not 18”) … any further guidance much appreciated.

This is what I’ve seen from reviewing the Archive…

Euro4 Comments:
= Euro IV 2.0D "is" more expensive to tax – (than Euro3)
= Euro IV has slightly worse mpg
= Euro IV has higher servicing costs
= During regeneration it is slightly rough running
= You can feel all fluffy inside because its better for the environment

Euro 3 v’s Euro 4:
= In 2008, tax: £140 = Euro IV, £115 = Euro III.
= If the pipe is really sooty black, like other diesels, then it is E3. E4 engines run almost with no sooty emissions and the pipe will only be slightly grey/lightly coated.
=“Generally” 2004 were E3 engines for 2.0d, and 2005 started E4 being sold (mixture of E3 and E4) and from somewhere after 55 onwards all E4

dbf:
= seems to be “optional” in most 04-06 car when car purchased.
= ones without the dpf so benefits from the lack of hastle and slightly better mpg
= uses fluid (to regenerate filter)that is held in a tank over or near the back axle. I'm not sure if it's visible as I've never looked for it, but you might be able to see it. IN the engine bay, there are two small dia pipes that come form the exhaust to a sensor that is mounted on the upper right, to the rear of head approx. E3 will not have these pipes and sensor I think. …. (and another quote)… if it was euro 4 there will be a black plastic sensor with 2 vacuum pipes and a electrical connector that is mounted on the side of the battery cover,this is a particulate trap sensor.

Ad hoc quotes:
= the car has a DPF do not touch. Have an 05 2.0d and nothing but bother with DPF. Also at 75k it needs replaced for approx £1000
= I would try to get one with a Euro3 engine as opposed to a Euro4, the latter requires a particulate filter replacement at 75k at a cost of approx £1000. Road noise was an issue until I replaced my front Michelin tyres with Khumo's and it's much better now.
= I have a 55 2.0d SE with 53k on the clock, spent a lot of time looking for the right one, not all euro 4s have a particulate filter, mine does not.
= the 8th number in the VIN is the euro number. 3 equate to a euro3 and 4 or 5 to a euro4
= I have the D5 engine which is a Euro4 engine but doesn't have a DPF that needs replacing or use any additive
= Euro III cars are making about £1000 more at auction (i.e. where most used traders pick up stock) than Euro 4's with around the 50-60k mileage on the clock due to the DPF replacement cost looming and or problems with them (Quote in 2008).
= 2.0 d 2005 s40. Seriously bad Ford engine. The 2.4 d5 is a brilliant engine
= The 1.6d has problems with turbos unless oil and filter is changed regularly, these turbos are dropping like flys at the moment. Due to the engine being clean and powerful, it is designed to operate at high temperatures, which demands the very best lubricants.

BBB
BasilBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 21:34   #2
v50inred

I have just bought a 2.0D, it is a Euro4 and from what i can tell it is not fitted with a DPF. The 75k service printout doesn't mention Eloys top up or DPF replacement just Coolant replacement.

The engine has 136bhp and is at least as nippy as my mk3 Mondeo which had the 130 tdci engine.

One thing I did notice was that Halfords listed the wrong airfilter or I misread the poxy little book, mine has a round one, and so I had to travel on my Hols with the old, rather dirty one in situ.

I replaced the airfilter with a Bosch one from EuroCarParts and fuel economy is now mid fifties, couldn't crack 45mpg before and did 40mpg with the bikes on the roof.

Mine has done over 100k, just, and is very smooth and quiet, no rattles or noise when started from cold.

Personally I don't really like the gearbox, not sure why, prefer the six speed in my Mondeo or the 5 speed in the wifes Clio.

My car has 153g/km emissions and without going outside to check I think the the Road-Tax was £165 a year. And it is definately Euro4, says so in the Logbook.

My car has the 16" alloys fitted, but I am looking at getting some Black 18" wheels fitted soon.

A remap is also on the cards.

My exhaust isn't smokey and only produces a very slight amount of smoke when driven hard, but you can only really see it at night when there is a car following behind.

Due to my cars high miles for a 2008 car I am also pricing up some polybushes and may also go for some new shocks and perhaps spring.

I do suspect my car is a 2007 model registered in April 2008, it has the "narrow" VOLVO badge on the tailgate handle rather than the wide spaced one fitted to later cars.

I know a few middle managers that have had 1.6 DRIVe models from new and the feel that they are lacking in power and the economy suffers as you need to drive it a little harder than a 2.0D.

I am really thinking about selling mine and going for a D5 or T5 with autobox.

Actually a car I used for a few days several years has just turned up on eBay, it was a 55 plate V50 T5, just put in Ambulance and Volvo and it should come up.
I normally used the auto V70 T5's but have forgotten how good the little T5 was.

I have noticed that prices at Auction are variable, I saw several 2008 2.0D V50's go through before I got my V50.

V50 2.0D 60k miler in SE spec and met grey went for £8k!!!!!

I got mine for £4700 plus fees at Manheim, so £5041 all in.

Bargain for what is a very nice car.

My advice would be to go for the 2.0D.

Will report back if I go for the remap and mods rather than a sell off and purchase an auto T5, seen two minters at CarGiant, both with sensible miles, as is the way they arrived in stock the day after I bought mine........
v50inred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 02:14   #3
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50inred View Post
My car has 153g/km emissions and without going outside to check I think the the Road-Tax was £165 a year. And it is definately Euro4, says so in the Logbook.
My logbook says Euro 4 too but it's deffo Euro 3 from the VIN number and tax band of £130 / year.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote