Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 GLT windscreen leak

Views : 999

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 12:36   #1
jonathanacsb

Default 240 GLT windscreen leak

Hi I have Dec 1987 240GLT and the only problem is a leaking w/screen caused by rust along the top of the screen. Is it a big job to cut out the screen clean up de-rust and replace - or should I just break it and let autoglass put a new one in after I have sorted the rust?
jonathanacsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 13:47   #2
740GLE

Hello,
You will be able to remove the windscreen without having to break it. It is held into place by the chrome strips on the outside and then the glass fits into a rubber gasket. Some one who has actually done it will give you a step by step quide.
Or phone up a cheap windscreen replacement company and ask them to remove it and get them to re-fit it after you have dealt with the rust. Dont break it as it is probably an expensive windscreen new. I bet it has got the sun stripe on the top. At least you can DIY as my windscreen on my 740 is glued in. Regards 740GLE (James)
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 13:54   #3
jonathanacsb

Default RE: 240 GLT windscreen leak

Hi I'm pretty sure it is a bonded screen as I had it replaced once before
Old Mar 27th, 2005, 17:16   #4
Citizen.Agfa
VOC Member

Yep, bonded it is; did one a couple of years ago, the screen company charged £60 to remove and re-fit.

Regards, Nick H.
Citizen.Agfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:44   #5
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I have just been involved with having mtwo windscreens fitted - on to my immaculate 244GLE which was delaminating and leaking, the other was a customer's 240 GLT estate which was in for some bodywork and a respray. The customer's car was cracked and thus an insurance claim.
The bill was £177 of which £50 was the excess. Mine, with the same top tint was £120 for cash. A couple of important points - on my French import (virtually corrosion free) two drain holes could be seen at the bottom corners behind the trim. It is essential to retain these when repairing this area, also make sure you buy a new set of trim retaining clips from Volvo as they are normally needed(old ones go brittle and get broken) and if not supplied the fitter is liable to glue trim on and likely to block drain holes. It also pays to use a hose to wash out debris behind trim on a regular basis as drain holes are esily blocked. With regards rusted area - if fairly minor a good wire brush, some rust killer followed by some high zinc content paint will be OK - if more severe let in new metal and fully paint -
if you're careful with the welding damage to paint shouldn't extend beyond the angled area at front of roof, pillars and scuttle panel - a good bodyshop should be able to blend this in OK.
It may be possible to remove and refit old screen but they do go brittle with age and no fitter will guarantee to be able to do it - so be ready for cost of replacement screen. Good luck.
Mike
Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 18:48   #6
jonathanacsb

Mike
Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go and take your advice on the new clips
J