Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Security of 850's

Views : 1781

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 21:17   #1
Steve Sowerby

Having just had my beoved gold 850 T5 stolen, I was just wondering how others have found the security of the cars or anything useful that could be suggested (generally) to improve things for us that have parted with our cash.

When parked, the car did have the steering lock and imobileser on but was simply broken into, the key holder samshed off ( this is the only bit of th car I still have!) and was driven away.

As we're probably daft enough to buy another T5, an S70, this time - is there anything you consider as being worth doing. By the way our dealer says that those who have removed the 'T5' badge generally have less trouble.

Regards

Steve Sowerby
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 07:11   #2
Mav_UK

Sorry to hear about your car, hope you find the little b******s that did it.

As for removing your T5 badge, I'd go with that, if I get a T5 ot T4 next year as planned, that will be removed for a multitude of reasons, lack of advertising is the main.

I'd suggest a cat 1 alarm immobaliser. Max can probably advise which one, there cost a fortune of you get a good one, but are worth it. Also a wheel or handbrake / gear lock. They might not take that long to get around, but it takes longer than the car parked next to you that hasn't got one.

Good Luck

Stu
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 10:09   #3
liuleichan
Premier Member

Default RE: Security of 850's

>Having just had my beoved gold 850 T5 stolen, I was just
>wondering how others have found the security of the cars or
>anything useful that could be suggested (generally) to
>improve things for us that have parted with our cash.
>
>When parked, the car did have the steering lock and
>imobileser on but was simply broken into, the key holder
>samshed off ( this is the only bit of th car I still have!)
>and was driven away.
>
>As we're probably daft enough to buy another T5, an S70,
>this time - is there anything you consider as being worth
>doing. By the way our dealer says that those who have
>removed the 'T5' badge generally have less trouble.

Can't comment on the 850s - don't know enough about the details of them.

But for the 70s (I drive an S70) - don't they have a transponder immobiliser? And I think they have deadlocks, as standard.

Regardless - even if they do get in the car, how could they drive away a transponder immobiliser equipped car, unless they have another, true key (explains the rise in stolen cars, that are due to keys being stolen from house - sometimes discretely, sometimes under duress), wholesale messing with the car's security, or tow away the car?

Were 850s not equipped with these sort of immobilisers?

Lei Chan
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 10:19   #4
Mav_UK

A friend of mine had his house broke into for his car keys. He drives a Lotus Esprit turbo, thankfully he had his car keys upstairs so they nicked the keys for his company golf instead.....

I think the worst I have heard of was a Siera Cosworth 4*4. The guy had it in a very secure garage, with alarms / imobalisers etc. The garage was alarmed as well, and he had an iron hoop sunck in concret in the floor for a cahin to go around an axel. He went in one morning to find his car gone..... I really don't know how true it is, it went around Leicester a few years back, maybe an urban myth....

Stu
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 10:19   #5
cootuk
Premier Member

I thought some of the 850s had deadlocks too...I'm pretty sure the VolvoGuard II manual talks about them being fitted.
And how did they defeat the immobiliser...that must have taken some time?

The previous owner of our bog standard 850 fitted an aftermarket immobiliser....but if they really want your car, then they'll tow it away. My uncle had a Landrover Discovery...when they couldn't hotwire that, the next day they came back in broad daylight with a recovery towtruck and just towed it away.

Perhaps a Tracker system might help as a last resort, so you at least stand a chance of seeing it before they strip it down.
cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 12:11   #6
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi.

As far as I was aware, modern Volvos have a Cat1 immobiliser and alarm.

My car deadlocks with the remote and if the key (with transponder) isn't present, then it *shouldn't* start.

You have to be very careful with your keys these days!

There have been several Subarus stolen from driveways around the midlands recently. All were stolen using the owners keys.

Keep 'em peeled folks!!

Later all,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 13:26   #7
Networkguy

According to the AIB website (http://www.abi.org.uk/carinsurance/) the T5 has a T1 rating for security (the 850 T5 has not) so this is really as good as it gets but as others have said, if they really want it, they will get it (tow trucks, trailers, stealing the keys etc).

I know when I came to secure my S70, I looked at what else I could do and took some professional advice.

Basically there is no way anybody can drive the thing away without the key so that's that sorted. I leave nothing in the car of any value. So if I leave the thing in a car park, the worse that can happen is a broken window.

To be honest, damage I can live with. After all that's what the insurance is for but if it is taken, that's where the inconveniance starts finding oneself without any transport, sitting around for weeks whilst the insurance company do nothing etc.

So to top it off, I stuck a tracker on it as well as I would rather get it back than have to haggle with the insurance company over a new one.

Of course I am sure the TDi badge on the boot puts off a lot of thieves as well
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 13:56   #8
Mav_UK

Would that be a TDi on a T5, if so how much work was it? As I said if I end up with either a T4 or T5 it will be rebadged....

Stu
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 14:29   #9
liuleichan
Premier Member

>Would that be a TDi on a T5,

Um, I think it is a TDI - what do you mean by "on a T5"?

>if so how much work was it? As
>I said if I end up with either a T4 or T5 it will be
>rebadged....

I assume you know, but I'll point it out in case you don't - S70s (like the 850s previously) only have 5 cylinder engines - so a T4 must be a different model (40 series?).

Lei Chan

liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 14:55   #10
Mav_UK

I meant network guys car for the TDi badge..

I know the difference, T4 is indeed either an S or V40.

I want a V70 R (pref AWD as I don't like FWD that much), I would live with an 855 / V70 T5. But that means I have to convince my other half to go for a V70 / 855. Not going to happen easily. Also th eR varients here in holland are way over priced, and fuel is about the same price as the UK.

I would live with *only* :) 200bhp in a T4 quite happily, and from what I have read they seem to be somewhat more frugal as well.....

Stu