Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Evil Brakes

Views : 1129

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 09:25   #1
devilishdesigner

Angry Evil Brakes

pulled out from the shops today and it felt like a rear brake was stickign slightly, kept going and it got worse and started pulling to one side like a flat tire, by teh time I could safely pull over the engine was struggling to beat the braking force. no flat tyres to be found, but my passenger side front brakes were locked solid, couldnt budge them. gave them a good whacking and levering, couldnt do a thing. they released after they had cooled for about 40min, but instead of risking it I got it towed to my mechanic, I have rebuilt brakes before, but dont want to do it on my daily driver, especially as I dont own a torque-wrench. has anyone had a disk brake seize on them before? any ideas what could cause it out of the blue? I drive the car all the time and besides slight variations in initial pedal pressure I have never had a problem with the brakes, they pull up perfectly straight and very effectively.
devilishdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 09:34   #2
222s
Amazoniste

It sounds like the flexible brake hose has collapsed internally, effectively acting as though it is a non-return valve.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 09:38   #3
devilishdesigner

Sounds good, I hope your right, atleast that's cheap enough and the flexi-hoses do look a little old.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 09:41   #4
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Hi DD,

Do you have a Girling Mk 2a servo fitted?
Reason I ask is I had a very similair thing happen on my 1800.
Basically the servo jammed on and the more I used the pedal the more locked on the calipers became.
I managed to park up and by thumping the servo with my fist it eventually released the callipers.
I was going to replace the Girling servo with a Lockhead one, but the car has done several hundred miles since without any bother.
I think Mike Gilbert had a similair experience too.
I have heard nothing else but positive reports about the Lockhead unit as a replacement and am still planning to do this upgrade.

Hope this helps,

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:32   #5
48pop

I've had a similar experience with a servo, (not on a Volvo...), my fault, used the wrong vacuum pipe which collapsed and held on the brake. Solution was to turn off engine and wait.....Never had a recurrance with the correct pipe.

Don't think its the servo in this case....Surely it would be holding on all of the brakes rather than just NSF one......I'd go with the collapsed flexi or stuck caliper.

I've got a pair of flexis and overhauled calipers sitting here waiting to go on....Think I paid under £30 for flexis with new bleed nipples..

Cheers
Gerry
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 15:16   #6
AidanC

Funnilly enough, this happened recently to my Amazon - same symptons, same side. Problem is that I replaced the master cylinder, pipes and hoses a year or so ago so its most likely to be a sticking caliper piston in my case as I ran out of time and left them as they were. I have the parts to overhaul them but not the time. I'm not looking forward to the rebuild....

Mine doesn't have a servo.
AidanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 18:53   #7
BillKat

Sounds like a sticking piston but it's curious that it released itself after a few mins... unless the generated heat got to the fluid, which contracted when cooled and relieved pressure?
BillKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 01:03   #8
devilishdesigner

wasn't a few minutes, took around 40 min before it released, it did seem odd though that it was a total release - ie beautifully free-spinning hub once released
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 01:04   #9
devilishdesigner

[QUOTE=AidanC;366262] I have the parts to overhaul them but not the time. I'm not looking forward to the rebuild....
[QUOTE]

caliper rebuild is nothing to eb worried about, I did it on my old Kombi, rebuilt the calipers, master... really quite a simple job, would have done it on this but I din;t have a torque wrench and wouldnt want to guess tightness on a brake on my daily driver
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 12:50   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishdesigner View Post
wasn't a few minutes, took around 40 min before it released, it did seem odd though that it was a total release - ie beautifully free-spinning hub once released
The hose can break down internally with a flap of rubber blocking the return flow. As the pressure gradually reduces the flap returns to the side and all will then seem normal. It might not jam the hose shut for a while but could catch you out any time. If it happens again you can probably release the pressure and confirm the problem by undoing the bleed nipple a fraction of a turn.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote