Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do you have a 2007 D5 185bhp with more than 150k miles?

Views : 7361

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2017, 09:40   #1
jamie1131

Default Do you have a 2007 D5 185bhp with more than 150k miles?

As per the title, I'd be interested to hear if anyone as an '07 with the 185bhp diesel engine and more than 150k on the clock?

The reason I want to know is there are a few different threads at the moment of people with very high oil consumption and they all seem to be 2007 cars around the 150k mark. Mine included. I keep hearing that the engine is bullet proof but there are a lot of people in a similar position to me so it has me wondering if there is/was a problem with a specific batch of engines.

I'm probably going to have to either buy a new engine or trade my car in as I can't afford to add 2 litres of oil every 500 miles but I would like to know if I'm likely to experience the same issue with another XC90.

Love the car so likely to get another one but should I avoid that engine?

So, if you have an '07 D5 185bhp, how many miles does it have on it and does it burn any oil?
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:58   #2
setlow

Hi, long time lurker here!

I've been reading all these threads with interest as I have an 06 185 that has done 200k! I had all these problems with the DPF, limp mode, burning more oil that an old stove... lots of comments from various mechanics of fault being turbos, piston rings, seals etc…

Anyway, I was planning on getting rid of the car anyway soon so was looking for the cheapest possible fix to tide me over and just keep the car running for a few more months and my local indie power washed out the DPF and it's now almost like driving a new car!

The car was burning 0.5l, then 1l, then 2l per 1,000 miles, to the oil going from full to the oil level warning on the dash in a single tank of fuel! That’s when I gave up and decided I should try something before I scrap it as it’s not worth a new engine to me!

So the DPF was power washed out, with some cleaner and detergent or something (I didn't do it to know) and I’m back down to a burning a minimal amount (not yet managed to work out exactly as the consumption so far is too low to calculate, but I reckon it's easily below half a litre per 1,000). No limp mode, power is back up to something more reasonable and the MPG has gone from 24 to 31!

I won't confess to understand the exact details of a modern diesel engine, but I get the basic process, and I presume the exhaust being unable to breath is causing problems all the way back up the system right to the cylinders which then vent into the case and causing what others are referring too as oil being dragged out of the vent into the air intake (I don't know enough to understand exactly how this part is all linked to pass any comments – I didn’t even know the case vented to the intake, I thought it vented to the outside!).

Has this higher pressure damaged piston rings, caused cylinder wear, damage to the turbo seals and everything else? I'd guess so, but in terms of a simple fix I'd get your DPF cleaned or replaced, and personally I’d just get it power washed out as a cheap option.

I’ve seen comments that you can’t clean a DPF out by power hosing, and I’m sure the pro companies will do a great job and remove most of what’s in there. However, power hosing in my case has removed a lot and enough to make it run well, for now at least. Also – what came out was not soot, it was ash. While the DPF will remove soot as it burns it off in the regen cycles, ash cannot be burnt by its nature and I guess is inevitable that they’ll clog eventually. (ok I simplified here, you can kind of burn ash, but it'll eventually results in compounds that cannot be burnt, and what came out was white powder so it's probably calcium oxide, and other oxides formed from the things that make up oil.)

I guess with a DPF what the unknown was when they introduced them was how much ash does an engine produce, is it from the fuel, the additives, the oil, are some fuels better or do some contain too many impurities and are there things we can do in terms of maintenance to reduce the ash that is coming out? That said – on the next car I’ll probably watch the mpg more closely and when after 100k it starts to look like it’s creeping down I’ll probably send it off to be cleaned professionally as I think it’s likely to make a big difference and should be part of the maintenance schedule!

However, after 200k which must be around 30,000 litres of diesel burnt... maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that you've got half a kilo to a kilo of non burnable debris left!

Last edited by setlow; May 10th, 2017 at 13:08.
setlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to setlow For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2017, 13:12   #3
leeleefocus

I am in the same boat as you were. Currently on 163K.

I will update my other thread if/when I find a solution.

My next plan of attack is to do the full strip and clean of EGR, throttle body, swirl flaps etc and also get dpf cleaned.
leeleefocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 14:00   #4
jamie1131

Lee, your car has exactly the same mileage as mine.

setlow, My car had a brand new DPF put on it when I bought it but I have no paperwork to confirm if it was genuine or aftermarket. I guess if it was aftermarket it may have been too restrictive causing high back pressures. maybe I'll try a new one?
jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 14:30   #5
setlow

If it's had a new DPF then I'd get someone to read off the pressures (before and after the DPF) using VIDA to see if the DPF is restricting flow, if it is then maybe it's an aftermarket DPF as everyone I've heard of or spoken too has said these can often not last very long - but that's purely hearsay and I may be incorrectly spreading vicious rumours!

If your pressure readings are ok then you'll need to look elsewhere, but where goes beyond what I'd be willing to offer advice on.

If I had had the time and inclination I'd have pulled the engine, removed the head and pistons, check/replaced the rings, inspect the cylinders and maybe re-bore, strip and rebuild the turbo, replace lots of other seals and pipes and flaps that I don't even know about that meant I'd have to spend as much time learning as doing.... and I'm sure I'd have a car good for another 10 years, sometime around 2020 if I was lucky!

Instead £100 for someone else to clean the DPF and me to carry on driving seemed like a no brainer to keep the car limping along - but I'm amazed what a difference it made as everyone told me that it won't work and I'll need to spend lots on doing many other things. Granted, the other things may still need to be done but for now I can just carry on using and enjoying the car once more!
Old May 10th, 2017, 15:55   #6
diro

I mentioned in other thread that DPF issues can affect the condition of the whole engine and turbo what may cause massive oil consumption.

Car owners with DPF must remember its not that much matters oil viscosity like 0w30 or 5w30 for the high mileage cars but a spec. Personally I prefer to use 5w30 for the higher mileage car (80k+) which will not do any harm to the engine. There is no very low subzero temperatures in the UK. I noticed engine was running smoother and much quieter with 5w30.

Cars equipped with DPF must use low/mid SAPS engine oil. For Example Castrol 0w30 C3, 5w30 C1, C2, C3 or equivalent other brand low saps engine oil.

Other spec oil will result DPF failure. It will not come next day but it will come eventually. Besides many motorists don't even know what exactly oil was used due the service intervals. Garages especially indies can wright whatever they want in the invoices but in fact you never know.

I personally change oil every 10k miles or once per year. And do it myself all the time.

When I bought XC90 DPF and EGR been deleted. It was 132k on the clock. Previous owner already had to change turbo and perform DPF regen few times. I never had oil consumption issues. Had to top up about 0.5l within oil change intervals.
Old May 10th, 2017, 17:04   #7
setlow

Hi Diro,

While I appreciate that low quality oil will burn with more impurities and lead to greater ash build up - is some ash build up overtime not inevitable? No fuel/oil is going to burn 100% cleanly and is surely always going to leave something behind which will slowly clog the DPF?
Old May 10th, 2017, 20:41   #8
leeleefocus

I have been advised against cleaning by a couple of members and I respect their views opinions but I have nothing to lose by doing it so I think I will go ahead and pressure wash the internals of the DPF.

I hope to get similar results to Setlow
leeleefocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 22:18   #9
HiFlyer437

Mine's back at the indie for a couple of days of fault-finding but a recent DPF eegen certainly seems to have helped. I've been using 0w30 (A5/B5) but they're recommending trying 5w40 going forward. I've seen a thread on here for DPF cleaning for about £265 but my indie reckons you can get a good OEM equivalent for about that?
HiFlyer437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 00:19   #10
diro

Quote:
Originally Posted by setlow View Post
Hi Diro,

While I appreciate that low quality oil will burn with more impurities and lead to greater ash build up - is some ash build up overtime not inevitable? No fuel/oil is going to burn 100% cleanly and is surely always going to leave something behind which will slowly clog the DPF?
Sure there always will be ash and soot build up over a time even top grade oil and fuel is used. But when DPF will be clogged it depends in many factors and its a matter of time.
These factors can be driving style, speed, city or motorway (that will affect regeneration process), engine oil, potential or existing problems like MAF, high pressure boost leak, poor turbo performance, injector overfueling, swirl flaps performance, EGR valve issues and other bits.

Lack of the intake air (underboost, EGR issues or whatever causes rich mixture) - that means more soot.
More soot - more regeneration performances, more ash and the life of DPF gets shorter.

Driving in the city most of the time shortens DPF life dramatically. Thats probably the main reason why DPF fails so quick even having engine and its components in perfect working order.