Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clicking sounds from spinning wheels

Views : 1038

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2020, 15:37   #11
zchael6

I hope so! I had the car in neutral with engine running back end lifted off the ground, wheels off, and the hubs rotated slowly and there was no noise when they rotated. No sure whether that adds weight to it being either wheel bearings or diff.
Old May 7th, 2020, 15:47   #12
griston64
Premier Member

Well, here is what I found on some other site for rear wheel bearing replacement:

Wheel Bearing Replacement. [From the OEM Manual]

Type 1030, 1031, 1041 Live Rear Axles. Parts required: new bearing, new inner and outer seals, new locking ring, new brake caliper bolts

1 Remove rear wheel; brake caliper (tie it back onto the rear spring to avoid hose damage); brake disc; brake pads
2 Remove the four pressure plate bolts behind the wheel hub, forward of the brake caliper *** this should remove the clips holding the parking brake shoes, so remove the parking brake shoes as well***
3 Reinstall the brake disk on the hub, positioning the conical ends of the wheel hub nuts outwards, and use the disk to pull the drive shaft out.
4 Using a long screwdriver, remove the bearing seal. Clean the inside of the rear axle tube.
5 If your car has electronic traction control (ETC), remove the ETC toothed wheel on the shaft by pressing it off using two vee blocks
6 Using a bearing press tool or special tool 5212, remove the bearing and the locking ring.
7 Grease the new bearing by packing it thoroughly with grease and making sure the grease penetrates inner spaces.
8 Grease both inner and outer seals by packing the space between seal lips with grease.
9 Place pressure plate and outer seal in correct position on the shaft.
10 Place greased bearing and new locking ring on the shaft.
11 Press bearing and locking ring back onto the shaft until they are seated in position.
12 ETC-Equipped Cars: Using a cylindrical drift or special tool 2412, press the ETC ring back onto the shaft.
13 Install inner seal using a cylindrical drift or tool 5243.
14 Install drive shaft and pressure plate together with brake pad retaining springs. ETC cars: use care since the toothed wheel passes the inner seal.
15 Tighten pressure plate bolts to 40 Nm (30 ft-lbs) *** good luck with that, no room for a torque wrench***
16 Reinstall: brake pads; brake disk; brake caliper (using new bolts and tightening to 60Nm (44 ft-lbs); wheels.
17 Adjust handbrake cable.
griston64 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2020, 19:21   #13
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 TDI auto 1995

hi i had a clicking sound on a 240 estate 1988 model was diagnosed as DIFF still remember it now doing a steady 60 mph and the click came on quite load in cabin
independent volvo man had a donner car so he swopped whole back axel it cost about £300 back in 1995 he said very rare he had seen them fail. another volvo mechanic said he could repair it but still very expensive .anyway it was a great car sold it in 1999 to a mechanic. and got my current car 940 TDI
my thoughts only as you need to be sure what the problem is !
keep us informed !
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2020, 20:15   #14
bob12
bob12

No doubt I have missed something ..... but IF this noise wasn't present before the rear caliper change why has it suddenly appeared now during reassembly? Short answers preferred!

Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2020, 20:18   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
No doubt I have missed something ..... but IF this noise wasn't present before the rear caliper change why has it suddenly appeared now during reassembly? Short answers preferred!

Bob.
I just don't think he noticed it Bob, it can creep up on you and it's only when you need to do something like the calipers that you notice it or you drive/ride a car that doesn't have that problem.
Thing is, in his video the rear calipers are nowhere to be seen on the axle, same as in mine so obviously nothing to do with the calipers, just coincidence.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2020, 20:21   #16
Chooch84
940 Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuk View Post
Bummer. Thanks so its terminal.

And of course i cant find a replacement. I want a g80 locki g diff ideally.

Are the parts availa le to fix the diff¿ Cheers
You can buy some of the bearings from;
https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...l-kit/1076939/
My only comment is, I'm pretty sure the bearing's they sent out weren't labelled/branded, so I didn't know what kind of quality I was getting.

The other option is http://bakaxel.se/bakaxlar.html, but you'll have to translate the pages into English unless you're fluent in Swedish, you may also have to email them to confirm whether they can ship to the UK.

You could give these chaps a go https://th-pettersson.se/sv/artiklar...oms/index.html
I used them to get hold of that diff, the only thing you don't get is the axel bearings. But you'll then need someone to build it all up. They'll also need to be able to remove the collar and inner race from the axel shafts then fit the new stuff! You'll also need the axel seals...

If you search for "lm501349/14" I think you'll find that these may be the diff bearings (or the axel shafts), either way, you'll need a pair...

Hope you get that sorted!

16 BMW 330e
Chooch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chooch84 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2020, 23:57   #17
mhuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I do have a complete G80 axle sat in the garden for sale

One side is missing a wheel stud and has a very short stud for some reason, I never saw the car running as it was burnt out from a split fuel line (garden hose!), that was fun pulling it out of a muddy hole in the pouring down rain up hill with no winch on the trailer just a ratchet strap! We had to keep doing up then holding the car still as the handbrake had failed while we loosened it off to go again. It took about 2 hours to get it on the trailer and it almost ran away from us at one point.
Unsble to pm. Syas i dont hsve permission.

Who on earth uses garden hose lol

Hi

I saw your reply to my thread about my clicking diff.
Would you be able to ship your to mine ?

Post code tw2 7af

I knows hats a massive pita so if not possinle thats ok i understand.

Cheers

Marti
Old May 8th, 2020, 00:16   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Hi

Post code tw2 7af

Cheers

Marti
Try the PM tomorrow, i often have similar trouble, leave it overnight and it's fine in the morning.

Good luck with the axle!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2020, 13:27   #19
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:

Hi

Post code tw2 7af

Cheers

Marti
Hiya Martin

I wouldn't even know where to start on posting an entire axle so I will say collection only.

If you are seriously interested I can take a deposit and you can collect it after the lockdown?

Regards
Luke
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2020, 14:50   #20
mhuk

Understood. It would be a total pain to post . What’s your rough locator? Cheers