Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

seized injectors

Views : 2715

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2020, 10:05   #1
realslimshady

Default seized injectors

Alongside my current 'oil leak' thread, I have identified the leak but am now stuck as to remove and reseal the black plastic rocker cover I need to remove the injectors, and they are call seized solid.
I have been plying them with WD40 and then Liqui Moly super-duper unseizing agent for 10 days or so, but I still can't budge them.
Just tried putting a blowlamp onto one but the plastic is too close and starts melting.
So. Any tips? I had the same with one on my Voyager but after lots of dousing and wiggling that eventually freed off. Don't seem to be getting anywhere here.
realslimshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 10:34   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Not a volvo, but when I had to remove the diesel injectors from my Honda Accord I gave them a good overnight soaking in WD-40, then started the engine and - very carefully and at arms length - slowly loosened the clamp bolt just until I saw bubbling from each seat. I managed to do this in less than a minute and they all came out easily after that.

Or instead you could hire/improvise a slide hammer?
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 10:39   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Decent garages have proper injector removal tools for difficult injectors.
These involve slide hammers and many other trick tools.

But even then sometimes the injector can be damaged...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 12:09   #4
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by realslimshady View Post
Alongside my current 'oil leak' thread, I have identified the leak but am now stuck as to remove and reseal the black plastic rocker cover I need to remove the injectors, and they are call seized solid.
I have been plying them with WD40 and then Liqui Moly super-duper unseizing agent for 10 days or so, but I still can't budge them.
Just tried putting a blowlamp onto one but the plastic is too close and starts melting.
So. Any tips? I had the same with one on my Voyager but after lots of dousing and wiggling that eventually freed off. Don't seem to be getting anywhere here.
Excellent idea about using the engines comprssion to lift the injectors.

Re WD 40 - i have bought a product called Seafoam penetration fluid and beleive me this stuff gets in anywhere - it's far better than WD40 and i couldnt recommend it more.
NMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 14:25   #5
realslimshady

starting the engine not an option as had to strip loads of it to get to where I am. I did think about it, but when considering the area of the injector actually exposed to the compression in the cylinder-basically the nozzle-didn't think it would be that effective.
However, I am now considering how much I can get away with not refitting to get it running so I can get it hot which may help....
I have also ordered a slide hammer-type removal tool.

Last edited by realslimshady; Aug 17th, 2020 at 14:27.
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 00:12   #6
laundryman
The Engineer

The easiest way is slide hammer. on ebay at reasonable cost. flat bladed driver to remove the copper washers. on reassembly DO NOT put any grease on the washer or injector. make sure they are dry and clean.
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 12:08   #7
realslimshady

well. I put back all the bits needed to start the engine, which did, after a bit of encouragement, and I ran it up to temperature a couple of times and squirted more magic stuff around. Then removed fuel pipes from 4&5 and had another go at freeing them, no joy.
So this morning the slide hammer tool arrived. Tried it on #5, no joy, so I thought I'd run the engine to temperature and see if that helped.
Except. The bastard won't start. Just doesn't seem to be any fuel pressure. Cracked the pipes here and there and when cranking fuel is coming out, but with everything tight there is no combustion and no 'spray' after trying to start. Getting slightly annoyed.
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 15:22   #8
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Si Robb has produced a great video on removing a seized injector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL8JI10Du18

Not sure what you mean by 'no spray' after start if you have tightened everything down; you could still have an air in the system so need to bleed it a bit more - I believe the Volvos self prime by turning the ignition on and off a few times; you could try that and hopefully eventually will start.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XJSDriver For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 22:11   #9
realslimshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJSDriver View Post
Si Robb has produced a great video on removing a seized injector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL8JI10Du18

Not sure what you mean by 'no spray' after start if you have tightened everything down; you could still have an air in the system so need to bleed it a bit more - I believe the Volvos self prime by turning the ignition on and off a few times; you could try that and hopefully eventually will start.
I meant there was no residual pressure. Anyway.Fixed it. But. Can NOT remove the injectors, even with a slide hammer.
So I'm botching it back together with some sealant injected in the gap available under the rocker cover and hoping I've improved it (the oil leak that is).
Old Sep 7th, 2020, 16:11   #10
realslimshady

So. Unfortunately, while the botching fixed the original oil leak quite successfully, the disturbing of the rocker cover/inlet manifold has produced leaks around at least two of the injectors, as well as various other places. Not exactly unexpected.
Which means the injectors HAVE to come out.
Into the garden this afternoon after a two hour run, got the slide hammer on them while the engine was still piping hot, and managed to get two out. One came fairly easily (#4) and #3 needed hammering all the way. But the other three are still solid. Bearing in mind I have been dosing them in penetrating oil (and engine oil involuntarily) for the last three weeks or so.
I am putting every ounce of effort into the hammer, and I'm not a small guy.
I am hoping a younger, larger, stronger acquaintance will come round and have a try, but it's getting silly. And my hand hurts now...