Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seat belt fixing PV

Views : 715

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2020, 23:07   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Seat belt fixing PV

Hi, re' seat belt fitting, should the reel at floor level be perpendicular to the belt top anchorage or parallel to the floor? I ask because my belt keeps locking up when I don't want it to,for example steering round roundabouts where I tend to lean forward with the effort of pulling the steering wheel round or just trying to lean forward or reach for something.

Last edited by arcturus; Sep 27th, 2020 at 23:11.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 00:29   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

If it didn't lock up when your body moved forward it wouldn't be doing it's job. Having said that some lock up when a ball rolls up a ramp on rapid deceleration. Do yours lock if you pull the belt out too quickly when putting them on?
These belts, are they aftermarket or ones from another model of car? If the later, how are they mounted in that car?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 10:12   #3
arcturus
arcturus

Aftermarket. The PV has fixing holes but they were not fitted as standard. Sometimes when pulling up to put on,sometimes when just leaning forward just to reach a switch. One of the problems for me with short legs and the seat fairly far forward is that the belts are quite far behind me,quite a stretch. Will take a photo later.If this problem isn't solved I will remove the belts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200928_01 (2).jpg (165.9 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Sep 28th, 2020 at 11:13.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 12:59   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Maybe OEM fixed belts would be better than no belts at all. Do you have those?
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 14:25   #5
arcturus
arcturus

No, been looking at them but if they are fixed I will still have the same problem won't I ?. I may have to consider a lap only belt.
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 16:20   #6
blueosprey90
Master Member

I installed my after market belts in a similar alignment. Bolt on the bottom, then retraction reel and then belt coming straight up. But my retraction reel is closer to the back seat, so the belt is a tiny bit straighter going up. I'm not sure if that is what makes the difference - or if it is the nature of your specific retraction reel.

My humble advice is to try to keep the three point belts if you can.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueosprey90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 19:29   #7
flaggy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Aftermarket. The PV has fixing holes but they were not fitted as standard. Sometimes when pulling up to put on,sometimes when just leaning forward just to reach a switch. One of the problems for me with short legs and the seat fairly far forward is that the belts are quite far behind me,quite a stretch. Will take a photo later.If this problem isn't solved I will remove the belts.
Hi, what year is yours ,my 1953 doesn't have pre fixing holes .
flaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 20:51   #8
Volvo_133
VOC member

Hi Arcturus,
I fitted inertia reel belts to my 2 door Amazon to replace the originals. Being a 2 door requires longer belts than the 4 door. Mine came from a 2 door Saab. I had to trial and error a bit to eliminate the belt from locking up at the slightest movement.
Looking at your reel, i would rotate it slightly clockwise to line the reel parallel with your aluminium sill trim.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 23:38   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

I wouldn't rotate the reel as that would mean that the belt would come out of the reel, which is fixed, at an angle. Whatever the position. the angle of the reel has to allow it to be parallel to the upper roller, which can rotate as required.
At the moment the reel is fitted rather too far forward. It would be better snug up against the panel under the rear seat. That would also keep the belt out of the way from anyone getting in the back that side. Out of interest, if one is fitted, does the passenger one suffer from the same problem?
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 10:34   #10
arcturus
arcturus

Yes,quite often the belt locks up whilst the passenger is pulling it on.