Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General > XC90 '02–'15 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 1.9 TDI 2004 2nd hand - issues

Views : 682

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Do you have more than 1 Volvo
yes i have and i swear by them 1 50.00%
yes i have x amount of them 0 0%
i did but now i only have 1 and i love it 1 50.00%
i did but now i dont. 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 29th, 2017, 16:26   #1
RobertGL

Default XC90 1.9 TDI 2004 2nd hand - issues

hi all im new here and need much advice, so firstly sorry if this is in the wrong place.

i have had my xc90 ( new to me ) serviced by my local guys, there really good.

the cars been running fine until now. ( theres 1 or two things here and there that are nagging at us also)

we visited our family members about 400 + miles north and then back again.

on our way back we have a serious juddering and the car seemed to try to stop then continue (a sudden jolt ) , all lighting to the speedo and any power to that unit was cut - no power to it nothing oil pressure fuel amount trip computer date time everything rev counter current speed and also outer lights - all dead. then coolant low stop safely in red

we've taken the car to our non volvo engineers
they have said that i needed new engine mounts for the engine and stabilizers for the gear box.

this work has been done and they then also reset the error codes.

this worked for a while but then started again so we added new oil to the gear box still occurs we now thing maybe the timing belt is out also we've had a new turbo on and checked for the coolant issue - theres no block or leaking pipe and the coolant is alittle lowso we've topped it up but eventually it comes back

vehicle is 2004 TDI 1.9 - what on earth is causing this/these issue(s) ??

also the boot is extremely hard to open its a half and half boot - split in 2 boot door - i think its called tail gate thats fine but the upper bit is not.

i press against the number plate then i hear a faint clunk then while keeping pressed i open the boot door as you'd normally do it... while holding the things to go into the boot its a pain - what bit do i replace ?

i feel an entire bit for the boot would be better so if it could be 1 or 2 things it would be best to get the two things in a oner ... then there is the drivers seat belt where is hides in the side of the car wall there is a plastic cover on that that has gone..

finally lol
the very rear seat dont go down, i can "wangle" it to make them go down but there are some clips to get for this to still be automatic.

you unclicp the seats from the fron then they push back an hit or knock a mechanism that releases the back of that seat there at the front area or top most area of the seat they have gone.

id need parts from the UK and id need cheep but ok parts...

i was thinking a reconditioned engine as i think the head "gasket" is either slowly dieing or in need of replacement.

also with regard to the engine i had the engine turning over ( key ignition mark 3 ) to pump up the tyres as id rather not kill the battery if im having issues already ... i had finished doing this giving the rear tyres 35PSI and the front 30PSI as the back is load baring and the max is about 40 ish that gives me room so to speak as to what i put in there... but as i had finished i took the key out ... whhhoooaa the fan - that ive not really heard before too much properly kicked in and was on for about maybe 5 ish minutes and then off again never heard it that loud .. i feel that this, the juddering and the components power issue are one and the same - please do help.

3 quite minor bits and one major .. please help guys ! also i dont know or how to know where id get the error codes from to give you here.

/ Based in the UK.
RobertGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 16:44   #2
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

You have posted in the wrong section. Maybe you want to post on the Threads below these 3?

Anyway, for now, before you repost.

This car needs to have its codes read with VIDA. The Volvo code reading software.

That is the first place to start.

A list of members near to you, who may be able to help you read those codes can be found in the attached link.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=280351

Once you have those codes, come back and you will get more specific help.

Just for your information. You tyre pressure. Its common for us having an XC90 to run them at 39PSI, which is an eco tyre pressure, for 18 tyres.

Also, your car won't be a 1.9TDI. It will be a 2.4.

As for your boot. Read this.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108023

Last edited by colinbos; Aug 29th, 2017 at 16:47.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to colinbos For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 20:45   #3
RobertGL

Default entirely correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinbos View Post
You have posted in the wrong section. Maybe you want to post on the Threads below these 3?

Anyway, for now, before you repost.

This car needs to have its codes read with VIDA. The Volvo code reading software.

That is the first place to start.

A list of members near to you, who may be able to help you read those codes can be found in the attached link.

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=280351

Once you have those codes, come back and you will get more specific help.

Just for your information. You tyre pressure. Its common for us having an XC90 to run them at 39PSI, which is an eco tyre pressure, for 18 tyres.

Also, your car won't be a 1.9TDI. It will be a 2.4.

As for your boot. Read this.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108023
VIDA - how do i sort that ?
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 20:50   #4
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGL View Post
VIDA - how do i sort that ?
Look at the link, see who is closest to where you live, send them a message via this forum, asking if they can help you.

Arrange to visit them (or you may get them to visit you if you ask nicely) and they will plug there computer into your car, and using VIDA software, read your fault codes.
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2017, 23:13   #5
skippyfox
VOC Member

Don't worry about the fan kicking in when you are stood still with the engine running, it's doing it's job. Also regarding tyre pressure I tend to run at 36 psi all round. Have a look at Euromasters tyre for getting a Nitrogen inflation, tyres run cooler and hold pressure a lot better. As you live in Leeds, check out the newly formed Yorkshire section of Volvo owners. Pop along to a meet and have a chat.

P.S. If you have a 1.9 tdi xc90 you,ve been sold a pup..

Last edited by skippyfox; Aug 29th, 2017 at 23:16.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skippyfox For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 23:20   #6
RobertGL

Default Sorry

i was corrected its a 2.4 not 1.9 but thank you for the info !!

FYI the fan only kicked in when id stopped and was about to walk off.

then engine was stopped then the fan kicked in.
Old Aug 30th, 2017, 23:59   #7
skippyfox
VOC Member

don't worry they do that. After a long run my fan will kick in even after switching engine off.
Old Aug 31st, 2017, 00:13   #8
skippyfox
VOC Member

don't worry they do that. After a long run my fan will kick in even after switching engine off.
If you get a chance pop along to the next Yorkshire section meet, sept 10th. Elvington aircraft museum nr York. Meet up about 10.30ish All welcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to skippyfox For This Useful Post:

Tags
xc90 driving issues