Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to towing and need advice

Views : 2532

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 18:23   #1
taz_116

Default New to towing and need advice

Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilema. I passed my driving test after Jan 1997 so i am restricted to a total weight of 3,500kgs for both the car and the van.

My van has a MAM of 1415kgs leaving me with 2,085kgs MAM for a vehicle.

Does anyone know a website where i can browse this information to find a vehicle?

I really can't be bothered to have to take a towing test at the moment and i now need to tow my once sited van

Thanks in advance,

Simon
taz_116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 19:02   #2
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

I think that you'll be wanting at least a 700 or a 900 rather than something like a V40.

I used to tow a MAM 1500kg Canoe trailer, but it was more realistically 750kg with a V40 or a V50

Try www.whattowcar.com, doesn't seem to have many Volvos in though...
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 19:03   #3
James_N
VOC Member

I too passed after 97.

I quite happily tow a fully laden caravan (1500kgs roughly) and a fully loaded car + 3 people to france.

Its a bit (OK a lot!) of a grey area. I sometimes wonder if the police know the correct laws and weights on this one.

I wouldnt worry too much, nobody else seems too!
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 17:33   #4
iand1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
I too passed after 97.

I quite happily tow a fully laden caravan (1500kgs roughly) and a fully loaded car + 3 people to france.

Its a bit (OK a lot!) of a grey area. I sometimes wonder if the police know the correct laws and weights on this one.

I wouldnt worry too much, nobody else seems too!
thats till it all goes wrong then you will be well in the s-it , we had a young lad at work tip a trailer over and it was heavier than he was allowed to tow company got a great big fine boy got lots of points , trailer was not overloaded and no problem that it was overturned just the licence so in reply to the above you are talking bollocks sorry but thats the way it is
iand1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 23:10   #5
4wheeldriver
Master Member

The laws a bit vague on all this to be honest. best place to ask the question is the Caravan Club!! Some vehicles are have lower towing weights than there kerbweights etc. the C70 Volvo being one. Kerbweight is about 1700 kgs but max towing is only 1500kgs yet an S80 with sameish kerbweight can tow 1800kgs. Another valid point to mention in here is the fact that the new photocard licences are only valid for 10 yrs!! So if you passed your test in 1998 then your licence could well be expired and you dont know it. It costs £17.50 for a new one. I just had to get a replacement for a lost licence and they still left it with the 2011 expiry date!!! grr
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 13:35   #6
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
Another valid point to mention in here is the fact that the new photocard licences are only valid for 10 yrs!! So if you passed your test in 1998 then your licence could well be expired and you dont know it. It costs £17.50 for a new one. I just had to get a replacement for a lost licence and they still left it with the 2011 expiry date!!! grr
If you had sent a new photo at the time they would also have renewed it.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 22:53   #7
4wheeldriver
Master Member

When I phoned to tell them that I needed a replacement they omitted to tell me that part!! But then that would have meant Gordon losing out on 17.50 in 2 years so they probably get told not to tell you that

Oh and dont go ny MAM for a caravan now. It goes by the MTPLM now. They assume that the van will be at its max weight when youre towing!!! Some sites go by the MIRO when telling you whats a match etc. Whattowcar.com being one of them

Last edited by 4wheeldriver; Dec 29th, 2008 at 22:59. Reason: Addendum
4wheeldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 12:04   #8
pdr944

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz_116 View Post
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilema. I passed my driving test after Jan 1997 so i am restricted to a total weight of 3,500kgs for both the car and the van.

My van has a MAM of 1415kgs leaving me with 2,085kgs MAM for a vehicle.

Does anyone know a website where i can browse this information to find a vehicle?

I really can't be bothered to have to take a towing test at the moment and i now need to tow my once sited van

Thanks in advance,

Simon
hello simon,

as regards towing and weights half the people towing caravans dont have a clue what weight they are towing or what weight the car is,just use your common sense.your supposed to use extension mirror,s i dont there a pain in the arse.load your van sensibly and take your time and i,m sure you will be fine.if your going to worry about what might happen and the letter of the law then you might as well sell your van and car and stay indoors forever.

all the best peter.
pdr944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 09:00   #9
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdr944 View Post
hello simon,

as regards towing and weights half the people towing caravans dont have a clue what weight they are towing or what weight the car is,just use your common sense.your supposed to use extension mirror,s i dont there a pain in the arse.load your van sensibly and take your time and i,m sure you will be fine.if your going to worry about what might happen and the letter of the law then you might as well sell your van and car and stay indoors forever.

all the best peter.
I think it is the drivers who don't give a toss about towing safely that should sell their cars and stay indoors forever. There are sadly many fools towing badly and we do not need to add to that number.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frank For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 13:50   #10
JimDay
Mad Murdoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
I think it is the drivers who don't give a toss about towing safely that should sell their cars and stay indoors forever. There are sadly many fools towing badly and we do not need to add to that number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdr944 View Post
hello simon,

all the best peter.
I'm with Frank on this one, to advise someone to "just use your common sense" regarding towing weights & to state "Your suppose to use towing mirrors I don't there a pain in the ar*e" is in my opinion totally irresposible & gives a new person to caravaning the wrong outlook on thier future as a safe & competant tower. The use of towing mirrors is a legal requirement you need to use at least one fitted to the drivers side of the towing vehicle but 2 are better as regards to towing weights it is becoming more & more a requirement to stay within the recomended towing weights for your tow vehicle & caravan if you tow in the west country you will see they have set up mobile weigh bridges to check caravaners to see if they are complying with the recomended weights etc & people have been prosecuted for being over these limits. So I'm sorry but the days of "yeah that looks okay " have gone & we all need to be more thoughtfull when we load up the Car & Caravan for the holiday season.

OK my Rant is over

1999 V70 2.5 T SE Auto "ME7" Caravan = 2003 Swift Charisma 550 4 Berth
JimDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimDay For This Useful Post: