Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High DPF Pressure with engine off??

Views : 1351

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 4th, 2017, 13:29   #1
Joe H

Default High DPF Pressure with engine off??

I did some work around the DPF including disconnecting the pipes leading to the pressure sensor.
The Pressure Sensor is now showing around 65,531 hPa (should be more like 67), with the last digit changing when revved.

I assumed I had connected something up wrong but then noticed it was reading that with the engine off (ignition on). I didnt have time to look at it any more.

Is that pointing to a faulty Pressure Sensor? Seems unlikely as I didnt touch it or the wiring.
Or does VIDA display the last reading with engine running?

Cheers
Joe
Joe H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 18:47   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Hi Joe have yopu the pipes the right way on the sensor there is a large hole and a smaller hole.
Mike
Old May 5th, 2017, 18:51   #3
poiuytre111

Im not familiar with volvo dpf pressure sensors but surely they all have to show normal atmospheric pressure when the engine stops - unless faulty. After I had a bmw dpf done, we looked at the reported values to show it was fixed but one was some way off when engine stopped so we changed it.
poiuytre111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:34   #4
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
Hi Joe have yopu the pipes the right way on the sensor there is a large hole and a smaller hole.
Mike

Mike - I assumed I had done something like that until I saw it was reporting the same value with engine off, when it shouldnt matter how the pipes were connected.
Joe
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:39   #5
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post
Im not familiar with volvo dpf pressure sensors but surely they all have to show normal atmospheric pressure when the engine stops - unless faulty..
I borrowed a working one and oddly it showed the same high value when connected then showed normal ones.
Plugged the original in (with no pipes connected) and it still shows the wrong value.

Not sure what is going on. Pipes didnt seem to be blocked, wiring seems fine (wiggling it doesnt make any difference) so it seems the sensor just went bad. Stange coincidence !

Thanks for the comments though guys
Joe
Old May 7th, 2017, 13:09   #6
poiuytre111

In your situation I would take some wires from the sensor direct to (I presume) the ecu just to check you haven't got a problem in the loom or at a connector somewhere.
Old May 8th, 2017, 08:37   #7
Joe H

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytre111 View Post
In your situation I would take some wires from the sensor direct to (I presume) the ecu just to check you haven't got a problem in the loom or at a connector somewhere.
I gave all the wirres and connectors a good tug and wiggle to see if anything changed so in this case I will leave it and see if the problem comes back.

But in practice how do I do something like that? I dont like the idea of cutting and resoldering wires as it is likely to cause problems which didnt exist before, and it doesnt rule out connector issues but that is the only way I can think to do it.
Thanks
Joe
Old May 8th, 2017, 18:07   #8
poiuytre111

Well, if I were doing it I would find out where the wires go, which I presume to be some pins on the ECU so a wiring diagram is essential - by all means check the wiring colours to confirm. I would unplug the ecu to check the pins and connector sockets look clean and maybe spray with servisol contact cleaner. You may find the metal pins are exposed on the back of the ecu connector in which case I would try to solder wire to that point - otherwise I would carefully trim insulation back from the relevant wires (without cutting the copper !) and extend the wires to the sensor . Again, speaking personally I would tack the wires direct to the sensor on a temporary basis maybe with croc clips. A different approach would be to check continuity between the ecu contacts and the pressure sensor plug (attached to loom, not the sensor itself).
The Following User Says Thank You to poiuytre111 For This Useful Post: