Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Glow plugs duration after start up.

Views : 985

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2018, 20:14   #1
allanw

Default V50 Glow plugs duration after start up.

Having read through many posts on here regarding glow plugs, they mostly seem to be problems with poor starting. I do not have that problem. The engine starts even at recent -5 temps no problem, but then runs rough for a few minutes after which it runs fine. I fitted 4 new glow plugs a few weeks ago and they receive power for about 5 secs at start up then shut down no matter what the ambient temp The glow plug light stays on only for a split second. As with other diesels, I believe they should stay on for several minutes to aid combustion after cold start up and stop rough running. Does anyone know what sensors are involved in determining the duration apart from coolant temp sensor ? I can see a sensor behind the oil filler tube that has no push fit connector to it ? Anyone know what it is and where its powered from ? It has been connected in the past as you can see the witness marks. I also changed the glow plug relay but no difference. Any help gladly accepted.
allanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 20:39   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanw View Post
The engine starts even at recent -5 temps no problem, but then runs rough for a few minutes after which it runs fine.
With rough running for that length of time, I'd be looking more towards oil level, spec and quality.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 21:05   #3
allanw

Thanks for reply. New synthetic oil a few weeks ago. Oil level between max and min. Its more an incomplete combustion problem when cold for a couple of minutes, not bearing knocking or piston slap. Glow plugs should remain on to help combustion of cold engine and therefore emissions. It's a Euro 5 engine. Its what sensors the ecu uses to determine this I am struggling to find out.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 21:29   #4
MDS40

New to volvo but my Jag x type diesel had the after glow system you mention.
This was controlled by the ecu with reference to the cylinder head temp sensor along with the ambient temp sensor to determine the time the plug continued to glow. This would also switch off over 2000 rpm.
Would check if yours has a cht sensor, if so it could be giving too high a reading.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 22:16   #5
cheshired5
Premier Member

Vida normally confirms the glow plug heating sequence so what is the engine code and model year?

Dependant on coolant temperature, my sequence for example is
Preheating
Start standby preheating
Start heating
Afterheating
...... but it doesn't continue for the length of time you suggest in fact on an ambient starting temperature above 8°C the glow plugs don't work at all.

I have a Euro 3 though hence needing more detail on yours.
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 23:18   #6
Bendolfc
Premier Member

The natural suggests that they aren't even used below - 2 degrees although that does seem a bit cold to me.

"6. Engine preheater (diesel)
This symbol is lit during engine
preheating. Preheating occurs
when the temperature is below –
2 °C. The car can be started once
the symbol goes out."
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2018, 18:50   #7
allanw

Thanks for your input guys. Car is 2005 V50 2.0 litre diesel. 136p.s. Euro 5 with DPF. I have not had much to do with this particular engine until recently but I know that other manufacturers use post start heating e.g. ( VAG & BMW ) to help with emissions and the glow plug light extinguishing on the dash is only an indication when to start the engine and not an indication of glow plugs energised and I assumed this euro 5 engine would be the same ? Maybe this direct injection engine does not do this.
The missing sensor connector is still a puzzle behind the oil filler and near the thermostat housing / manifold. It is difficult to see tucked in there but it is there for a reason. I found the 2 pin connector lying in the under tray but can't see where it's wired from ? Now have a new problem with intermittent hesitation when accelerating that's like a petrol engine flat spot. Maybe should start a new post on that.
Old Mar 27th, 2018, 08:30   #8
MDS40

Intermittent hesitation could be due to the egr valve not closing fast enough due to being gunked up.
That was the cause on my Jag, but as i said before i am new to Volvo.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote