Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Your Caravan Towcar Views, please. .

Views : 4729

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2010, 17:10   #1
myshed

Default Your Caravan Towcar Views, please. .

As a Pensioner (how I hate that word!!) I am being affected by the current economic climate, and am considering selling both my 940 TDi estate (which my son calls "my shed!") and 850 2.5(20v) estate, and consolidate on just one vehicle. Those I have in my sights (not very imaginative!) are the V70 estates, circa year 2000, tdi or 2.5 20v. I tow a small caravan, a Dawnstar 2-berth weighing in at about 900kg.
I like the sparkle of the 2.5 performance, but the tdi economy is appealing.
Does anyone have any views on the better choice of vehicle?
Thanks
myshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 21:02   #2
Westyman
VOC Member

Having towed with petrol and diesel Volvos for 25 years, I would always go for diesel owing to the torque, but a petrol turbo is as good but more costly on fuel.
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Westyman For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 22:38   #3
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Hi. We are in Devon too, and the one question I think you should ask yourself before making a decision is "What sort of towing are you going to do"? I'll be a 'pensioner' next year too!! I'm 64 on Monday (15th).

I know yours is only a small van, (like our 2 berth) but it's where you are going to caravan that will relate to how much fuel you use. If you are constantly going up and down hills in Devon, Dorset etc, then you'll use the fuel. But on sites close to the M5/A30 say, you'll come off much better.

We have now set ourselves a 75 mile from home limit (150 mile round trip), and we stay on sites fairly close to major trunk roads to avoid silly expense.
There are SO many sites within that radius. I still have nightmares when we were on our way back from Weymouth on the back road via Chickerell to Bridport, with our last caravan. A 5 berth Elddis Avante. Even though I had my powerful Ford Scorpio Ultima 2.9 litre, we almost blew it up, as the hills were so severe. Fuel consumption was about 10mpg.

We got rid of the Elddis last year. Just got too expensive in fuel costs to tow for the small number of times we were using it. On some hilly journeys we were barely making 12mpg.

Using the 940 I am more than happy, and we get 28'ish mpg average when towing so I'd stay with it. Loads of room for all the extra bits too.

PS. Don't go to the site at Chivenor on the other side of the roundabout where the road goes down to RAF Chivenor. It's probably the worst site we've ever been on. I wouldn't put pigs there!
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 00:50   #4
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

I would imagine that the chances of getting a nice diesel V70 with decent miles & price would be pretty slim, whereas you could find a well speced nice petrol V70 for not a lot of money. I would be inclined to go for the petrol and pocket the difference. I had an S70 tdi and got 42mpg average (28mpg towing), so if you could get up to 30 mpg solo from the petrol, you would be quids in.

The diesel does make a great tow car tho!

R.
RoscoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 09:53   #5
myshed

Thanks for your comments. Oily. We don't tour as regularly as we would like (who does?), but we do go on long trips - in recent years have "done" mid/north Wales, The Lakes, Edinburgh, East Anglia, and are hoping to do some touring in France and Spain. Both present vehicles have been up to the job so far, each with their own idiosyncracies (?), but if I'm to invest in a newer Volvo, which hopefully should last for a good few years, I would like others' opinions.
I'll definitley avoid Chivenor, though!!
BTW, they have re-vamped the road from Chideock to Honiton - not sure what they have actually done, it might just be road markings, but slogging up that hill seems a little less of a nightmare!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to myshed For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 10:37   #6
large
no smoke no poke

hi i have a p2 2000 V70 tdi and tow our hobby no probs at all get about 25 to 28 out of it when towing but our's is a big old van and never had any probs with hills so far
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 19:40   #7
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

we have a v70 tdi auto tows our coachman pastiche rather well we average about 50 mpg solo 36 average towing loads of space for wheelchair awning (kitchen sink etc etc) great car we love it.

lynda & ron.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lyron For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 10:15   #8
djk1

Hi there, have you considerd Lpg? All the 700/900 series cars gas well and my old 760 turbo is a fantastic tow car giving good(ish) economy on lpg. Dave.
djk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 10:33   #9
tdidave
V70 TDi CD

Thumbs up V70 TDi.....enough said

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshed View Post
I like the sparkle of the 2.5 performance, but the tdi economy is appealing.
Does anyone have any views on the better choice of vehicle?
Thanks

The photo speaks for itself. 1998 Volvo V70 TDi loaded to the gunnel's easily towing an old 18/19cwt Royale caravan loaded to the roof inside. Totally out of order, but I was attempting to move the majority of my gear from France. Fuel consumption towing this load 41mpg...... no bull..

My old Turquoise 850 TDi GLT & my present Garnet Red V70 TDi CD

My 1998 V70 TDi CD : http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/album.php?albumid=654

Last edited by tdidave; Nov 16th, 2010 at 10:55.
tdidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2010, 21:05   #10
myshed

Can see a bit of a consensus forming!
Thanks, TDIDave, for your observations - and pics