Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Non-Volvo towbar, Warranty problem?

Views : 1415

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 20:31   #1
judgeman

Default Non-Volvo towbar, Warranty problem?

With the New Year nearly upon us I am starting to think about caravanning again.

This year we bought a Bailey Discovery 200 caravan (Max weight 1148kg), and towed it with a '96 855 T5 on 7 outings, including a Cornwall run (from Yorkshire) during a very hot July!

But now we have the '56 V50 D5 Sport (lucky for me I found out a week after I took delivery of it that this particular model had won Caravan Club Towcar-of-the-year award).

We bough the car on Volvo 'cash plan advantage' scheme (as I was given a monthly allowance in lieu of a company car), which means there are some restrictions on how we look after the car.

Of course, we need a towbar fitting to this car for our planned caravan outings in 2007.

I did ask about towbar fitting at the garage during the buying process with regards to who can fit one. I was told that it must be a Volvo fitted towbar - but at over £400 for a fixed and over £500 for removable it's pricy!

Has anyone else had experience of fitting a towbar to their Volvo, on what is effectively a 'hire purchase' type finance agreement?

Thanks in advance!

Chris.
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 20:44   #2
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

My brother had a Focus on a lease agreement through his work. He enquired to the leasing company about having a towbar fitted, I think by a local reputable company and he was given permission provided the car was returned to its original state at the end of the period. At the end it turned out it never had to be and the hook was left on. I do not know if this arrangement will apply to your contract, but it shows that it is possible.
Good luck
Chris
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 16:36   #3
vanbeck1

The only quibble I could see would be defining 'original state'. Most tow bars, even Volvo supplied ones, usually require the rear skirt to be cut. Although a blanking plate is supplied, it s still noticeable, and obviously not 'original state'.
vanbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 18:10   #4
Andys101

A friend of mine has a tow bar fitting company.
He does find it funny that people are still told "IT MUST BE A VOLVO TOWBAR"
It doesnt, as long as its a type approved bar (all bars now are, you cant buy a non type approved bar).
However if you want to speek to someone who will give you a straight answer you can phone him.
Dave
Broadstairs Trailers
01843 602245.
Hope this helps
Andys101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 20:42   #5
judgeman

Talking Tow bar

Thanks AndyS101!

Saving my pennies, and anticipate making a decision around March time....

C.
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 13:34   #6
shaheed malik

should not drill holes in floorpan or chassis rails,but if simply bolts on then can be removed before return