Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 buying guide

Views : 1100

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2019, 12:02   #1
cfcdoc

Default XC70 buying guide

Dear all, coming from a subaru outback and looking at a 2013 xc70 D5 thats gone 129k. Are there any weakpoints? What do I need to ensure has been replaced? I understand the cambelt( not chain driven) are every 10 years?

What are the ball park figures for parts that tend to go in cars like these e.g CV joints , clutch, discs etc.

Thanks all for help and if this question has already been answered, apologies but a link would be most appreciated.

Best wishes...
cfcdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 17:06   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Auxilary belt AND TENSIONER is 3 years 54,000 miles and it's the tensioner that is the weak spot.

Disks, volvo about £110+ a set
Mintex £56+a set . Front vented
Volvo £105+ a set
Mintex £50+ a set Rear vented.

Pads £86 +front volvo £50+ mintex
Rears £65 + volvo £40+ mintex

Gearbox oil is unlikely to of been changed as it's not on volvo service schedule
Brake fluid possibly. Steering fluid unlikely coolant unlikely. 2010 cars had factory coolant that the corrosion inhibitors failed on and the coolant turned brown. Any hint of brown and get it changed asap. Steering fluid also has the corrosion inhibitors die which allows the fluid to attack the aluminium pipes, cause damage to the power steering pump and in extream cases the rack. I change mine compleatly every 2 years and suck the fluid from the resevour and refill with fresh every year to prevent this.. I change my manual gearbox oil every 2 years, autos it's a £350+ job at volvo so hardly ever done. Plenty of vidios on how to, but Ivery never owned an auto so never done it.

Lots of the running gear is ford as it's a Mondeo mk4 in drag. Makes the factor parts cheap.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 00:59   #3
cfcdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Auxilary belt AND TENSIONER is 3 years 54,000 miles and it's the tensioner that is the weak spot.

Disks, volvo about £110+ a set
Mintex £56+a set . Front vented
Volvo £105+ a set
Mintex £50+ a set Rear vented.

Pads £86 +front volvo £50+ mintex
Rears £65 + volvo £40+ mintex

Gearbox oil is unlikely to of been changed as it's not on volvo service schedule
Brake fluid possibly. Steering fluid unlikely coolant unlikely. 2010 cars had factory coolant that the corrosion inhibitors failed on and the coolant turned brown. Any hint of brown and get it changed asap. Steering fluid also has the corrosion inhibitors die which allows the fluid to attack the aluminium pipes, cause damage to the power steering pump and in extream cases the rack. I change mine compleatly every 2 years and suck the fluid from the resevour and refill with fresh every year to prevent this.. I change my manual gearbox oil every 2 years, autos it's a £350+ job at volvo so hardly ever done. Plenty of vidios on how to, but Ivery never owned an auto so never done it.

Lots of the running gear is ford as it's a Mondeo mk4 in drag. Makes the factor parts cheap.

Paul.

Thanks Paul, and suspension , slightly perturbed by the self levelling description as it reminds me of the drc I had on my old rs6? Is it hydraulic, does it leak, the rs6 system was thousands
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 01:00   #4
cfcdoc

Been fully serviced at Yeovil Volvo. Last service was 108k earlier this year, Cam belt and auxiliary were done
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 13:34   #5
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

What vintage of Outback, and why are you thinking of coming across, out of interest? Vaguely thinking of going the other way, hence the Q.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 20:50   #6
cfcdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
What vintage of Outback, and why are you thinking of coming across, out of interest? Vaguely thinking of going the other way, hence the Q.
Hiya mate, 2.5, the 3 litre is chain driven but the spec is poor and the new ones just look horrendous. The XC70 I’m looking at is fully loaded but there’s little point in having 4 heated seats if it’s not running and in the garage. Nervous about taking the plunge given the age. Still not sure about this self levelling suspension.
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 20:55   #7
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfcdoc View Post
Hiya mate, 2.5, the 3 litre is chain driven but the spec is poor and the new ones just look horrendous. The XC70 I’m looking at is fully loaded but there’s little point in having 4 heated seats if it’s not running and in the garage. Nervous about taking the plunge given the age. Still not sure about this self levelling suspension.
We're running both Euro 3s until they die, I think, and I'm reluctant to go into a Euro 4 tbh - I think that the 3 is the sweet spot. Could be tempted by the 2.5 petrol Outback 2010-11ish though. Ugliness aside, it's a kindred spirit of our XC70, I think.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote