Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

That went well!

Views : 2015

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2007, 12:18   #1
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Default That went well!

Front disk came off fine, then when I got the new one out of the box I spotted my school boy error, yes I'd bought the wrong size -I got the 305mm as I have 17" wheels but no, I should have measured a bit more carefully (rather than waving a measure in front of the wheels and saying "yeah that's near enough!") and got the correct 285mm disks

Not one to fall at the first hurdle, I thought I'd get on with the rears as they can't be the wrong size! Jacked it up and the first thing I noticed was a screw head sitting nicely in the rubber of my nearly new tyre , never mind, will worry about this tomorrow when the tyre shop is open.

Carried on until I found that no amount of banging will release the disk from the handbrake shoes, it is loose but just wont come off, any tips?

Shortly after trapping my finger between the disk and back plate the heavens then opened and I withdrew defeated to the kitchen for a cuppa only to find there was no milk left!

So back to bed it is! Note to self; next time you say you're never doing any car DIY again, LISTEN!!!

If anyone needs some new 305mm disks and pads PM me, will be able to do a good deal especially if you can get to York or Leeds to pick up. (won't be giving them away though as I can still get a refund!)

My Photos on Flickr
D5 Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 13:11   #2
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Sorry to hear of your grief Tim...i think we all have our moments like that....i would have thought since your wheels are 17" your brakes would be 305mm?.......mines 16" and i got 285mm..the rear disc normally take a good clout with rubber mallet as they tend to weld themselves ...
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 13:20   #3
Mike1967
Premier Member

OMG Tim , that sounded like a complete mare of a job !
Mike1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 13:37   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

You should slacken off the handbrake shoe adjustment at the lever to enable disc removal ...
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 14:34   #5
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Cheers guys, should have known I was about due for a bad one, jobs had been going supprisingly well recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60-MBS View Post
Sorry to hear of your grief Tim...i think we all have our moments like that....i would have thought since your wheels are 17" your brakes would be 305mm?.......mines 16" and i got 285mm.
Yeah, suprised it only has the 285mm disks, I guess there's no way of knowing what you've got without measuring them, the sellers on fleabay all seem to say that the 305mm are for 16 inch + wheels but it's obviously not that straightforward, I wonder if Gurty has had some new wheels on sometime in the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You should slacken off the handbrake shoe adjustment at the lever to enable disc removal ...
Thanks Clan, was thinking that this would be my next approach, once the rain stops!

Tim.

My Photos on Flickr
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 16:45   #6
s60.i@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5 _Monkey View Post

Shortly after trapping my finger between the disk and back plate the heavens then opened and I withdrew defeated to the kitchen for a cuppa only to find there was no milk left!
Glad its not just me that gets a car jacked up, wheel off, then it psses down for the rest of the day !

Quote:
If anyone needs some new 305mm disks and pads PM me, will be able to do a good deal especially if you can get to York or Leeds to pick up. (won't be giving them away though as I can still get a refund!)
Might be cheaper to get the 305mm caliper mounting brackets, giving you a nice brake upgrade in the process ? Is a straight swap.
s60.i@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 19:49   #7
D5 Monkey
Gone and forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by s60.i@n View Post
Might be cheaper to get the 305mm caliper mounting brackets, giving you a nice brake upgrade in the process ? Is a straight swap.
Really? that's worth knowing! Have you done this? any idea how much the bits cost?
Think a trip to the stealers might be in order.

Got the rears done in the end anyway, took some getting off, was so much of a groove in the inner disk/drum that they wouldn't come off over the shoes even with the handbrake adjuster slackenned right off. Not much skin left on my hands anymore!

My Photos on Flickr
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 22:07   #8
s60.i@n

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-S60-V70-...QQcmdZViewItem

£80, I suppose it depends how much yet another set of disks costs,, is something I`m going to do when the front disks need replacing on mine

The part nos on the pic dont tie up with the volvo part nos which are:

Caliper Brace :

9492275 15"
9492276 16"
9492277 17"

I`m guessing the last one, but dont quote me
s60.i@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 22:24   #9
simmo

Default 285 to 305

Having just read the last few replies, would i be right in saying that all you need for the upgrade is obviously the 305mm discs and the caliper mounting brackets..... anything else. has anyone done it recently and if so what does it cost roughly?
simmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 00:03   #10
readview
Trader

Smile

re; the big disc conversion,all ex police V70's and S60's have the bigger discs,if you can find one in a breakers yard you will find the brackets you need.Same applys to 850/V70 classics,all ex police had bigger discs,all you need are the brackets and discs,the caliper is the same.Oh,and the correct pads!
Hope this helps!
readview is offline   Reply With Quote