Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RAF Waddington International Airshow - 2nd/3rd July

Views : 9925

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2011, 01:22   #1
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RAF Waddington International Airshow - 2nd/3rd July

Howdy all,

The club has been kindly invited to put on a stand at this year's RAF Waddington International Airshow.

http://www.waddingtonairshow.co.uk/a...ion.asp?cpID=9

They are looking for a display of cars of all ages (EDIT: although as it's a display of classic cars, an age limit has been set at cars manufactured during or before 1995). The one restriction which has been mentioned is that we should try to control the numbers to provide a balance of ages of vehicles on show - so that it's not a case of 10 Amazons and one 850, for example. As a starting point, there should be space for 25-30 cars, but this can be extended if necessary.

I've not been given any specific guidance on the quality of display expected, but I would say that there's certainly no requirement for all cars to be concours queens. I would say that "interesting" trumps "immaculate", although this is a public event (and a large and high profile one at that), so I think a decent standard of presentation is expected (i.e. there's no excuse for not washing it, at least!).

Each exhibiting car will get one free adult ticket to the airshow. Purchasing further tickets for passengers will be the responsibility of the exhibitor. This year's adult tickets are priced at £20 in advance (ordered from the website) or £26 on the gate. Multiple purchase discounts are available for larger groups, and this is something which we could look into organising if there is significant interest.

The airshow runs for two days (a Saturday and Sunday), and the club is being asked to display on both days. However, it doesn't have to be the same cars on both days, so if members only want to do one day, we could quite easily arrange a "shift system". Obviously we'd like to put on a good display both days.

Exhibitors will need to work on a "first in, last out" basis, and the times in question are before 8:30am, and after 6pm, except in an emergency.

Finally, application and indemnity forms must be completed, but we have until the 31st of May to get those in, so I suggest we cross that bridge when we come to it.

I attended this (local to me) event last year, and it's an excellent day out. I think it's a great privilege for the club to be invited, and I hope that we can arrange for a good display with an interesting balance of models from all eras.

Do pop a post in this thread if you have any questions...or indeed to express an interest in bringing your car along.

Many thanks for your time.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164

Last edited by foggyjames; Feb 25th, 2011 at 01:15.
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 04:12   #2
philone851
I've Been Banned

i would like to go in my 1998 s40 2.0 cd
philone851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 10:27   #3
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Default Waddington Air Show.

Hi James.

I could bring either my Silver 1986 745GL(in family for 23+ years)or Gold 1988 744GL (both at a push: or one on the Sat, the other on Sun).

Prufrock.

Last edited by Prufrock; Feb 4th, 2011 at 10:30. Reason: Addition
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 13:20   #4
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Sounds good, chaps.

We'll see how numbers go, but original shape 700s are getting rarers nowadays (especially since most owners will be tempted to get a late 940...virtually the same, but ~10 years newer!), so it'd be great to see at least one of yours.

As I mentioned above, the goal is to get a good spread. We don't want to be too concerned about this....we just want to avoid 90% of the turnout being of one model!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 15:03   #5
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Sounds good, chaps.

We'll see how numbers go, but original shape 700s are getting rarers nowadays (especially since most owners will be tempted to get a late 940...virtually the same, but ~10 years newer!), so it'd be great to see at least one of yours.

As I mentioned above, the goal is to get a good spread. We don't want to be too concerned about this....we just want to avoid 90% of the turnout being of one model!

cheers

James
Hi James,
No danger of there being too many original 7s!
It would be useful if you could confirm whether my car/cars are wanted-one day, both days-as my diary tends to start getting full for weekends in July and August-holidays,fishing,cycling,other VOC commitments etc.
As you say, not many original 740s/745s around these days; especially very long/low ownership one's like my pair.
Thanks, Jon.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 16:32   #6
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

It's entirely up to you, Jon. If you'd like to do both days, I'm sure you'd be very welcome.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 17:41   #7
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

hi James i could be persuaded to attend, 1999 V70 2.5T metallic green colour mildly moddified

let me know please

Simon
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 17:50   #8
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

great.... more bloody tourists clogging up the bypass....

i could show the 940 16v turbo , i could even get the war stripes done .
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 18:03   #9
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebslater(uk) View Post
great.... more bloody tourists clogging up the bypass....

i could show the 940 16v turbo , i could even get the war stripes done .
its not just u it affects, im a truck driver do u think i like driving when this is on or the lincolnshire show????
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 22:39   #10
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
It's entirely up to you, Jon. If you'd like to do both days, I'm sure you'd be very welcome.

cheers

James
Hi James.

put me down for both days then...haven't been to the air show since 2005...I thik the hottest one then for some time!

Lincoln's usually a bit too busy for us country folk!

Prufrock.