Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 D5 - Just done an MTE remap

Views : 11040

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2018, 01:49   #61
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Sorry to hear that the C70's gone bang I hope you hadn't already spent a lot on it recently. High-mileage D5's seems to be for sale by traders at £3k plus whatever they think they can get away with (I'm sure they've all gone up by at least £500 this week with the sun making an appearance). However trade-in value would probably be less than the cost of your repairs. That said, how much of the car have you replaced and know to be good, that you wouldn't know with another one (or something different)? Difficult decision if you enjoy the car. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes.

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 11:26   #62
dme123
Master Member

I spent a couple of hundred replacing front springs for the MOT, and a recent new battery (expensive one with a long warranty, obviously). Had a suspension refresh two years/30k miles ago with dampers and wishbones too.

As you say it's not a straightforward decision on what to do, it is an ageing car full of complicated bits to fail so I'd be more surprised if I didn't get more big bills if I keep running it for a couple of years.

What I would say is that this particular terminal failure would almost certainly not have happened if the car wasn't remapped. Not sure I've ever heard of anyone destroying this 6 speed manual gearbox in a non remapped car.

Final verdict is that remaps are fun, but the OEM torque and power limits are there for a reason and in the long run it very much can kill your car if you actually use the power. I did enjoy the car a lot more over the last 80k miles because of the remap though!
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 11:47   #63
FunkyMelon
Master Member

You had a pretty good run out of the clutch to be fair.

over 120k on original clutch that was already handling a lot of torque prior to the map.

Given you ran the map for over 3 years I'd say that's about right for a clutch.

Were you planning on changing it when it started slipping back in January?
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 15:38   #64
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
I spent a couple of hundred replacing front springs for the MOT, and a recent new battery (expensive one with a long warranty, obviously). Had a suspension refresh two years/30k miles ago with dampers and wishbones too.

As you say it's not a straightforward decision on what to do, it is an ageing car full of complicated bits to fail so I'd be more surprised if I didn't get more big bills if I keep running it for a couple of years.

What I would say is that this particular terminal failure would almost certainly not have happened if the car wasn't remapped. Not sure I've ever heard of anyone destroying this 6 speed manual gearbox in a non remapped car.

Final verdict is that remaps are fun, but the OEM torque and power limits are there for a reason and in the long run it very much can kill your car if you actually use the power. I did enjoy the car a lot more over the last 80k miles because of the remap though!
Sorry to hear this, I've not heard of anyone blowing up the M66 box in any case, certainly indeed - it is rare!

Just thinking what could have caused this as my car is now approaching the sort of mileage yours is on, and running a remap with higher torque than the MTE map (gulp?!) - though peak torque is one thing, but where it comes in at is another. I do drive my car hard but it's 50/50 mix of urban/rural rather than motorway driving where when the clutch is engaged in say 6th gear is going to administer more torque than in a lower gear.

In any case its obviously hard to determine exactly what component failed, but maybe with the history of the clutch slipping, the clamping plate springs could have given way entirely, that would cause the kind of destruction you experienced!

So I guess you're looking at a new motor then, seen any potential replacements?
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 16:29   #65
dme123
Master Member

I'm going to have a good look to see exactly what's broken, I was wondering if it was something clutch related or drive shaft rather than the internals of the box. I like the car, so before it gets broken for bits I'll have a good look.

Watch this space.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
The Following User Says Thank You to dme123 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 23:09   #66
Jonathank

Default Conclusion?

So I’ve read through this thread start to finish and I can’t seem to find a definitive answer whether to remap or not to remap. As mine is an auto the the the general opinion seem not to. Port Talbot guys- I live here but don’t work at Tata. What do you say?

Jonathan
Jonathank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 10:42   #67
dme123
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathank View Post
So I’ve read through this thread start to finish and I can’t seem to find a definitive answer whether to remap or not to remap. As mine is an auto the the the general opinion seem not to. Port Talbot guys- I live here but don’t work at Tata. What do you say?

Jonathan
Nobody can give you a definitive answer, it depends on your appetite for risk and how much you want the extra power (and it does improve the car enormously).

I would say that the AW55 automatic gearbox is right at it's torque limits in the D5; the engine is actually detuned from 400NM peak output in the manual and bigger cars that have the six speed TF80 gearbox down to 350NM, and it is further torque limited in the lower gears.

I personally wouldn't risk it if you want to keep the car for the long run. The AW55 is not known for it's robust longevity even as standard. I would consider perhaps the Volvo Polestar map, as that will have been made with far greater knowledge and consideration for the limitations of the cars components than anything available in the aftermarket. This takes it to 205bhp and doesn't do anything foolish like remove the torque restrictions in lower gears.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 10:51   #68
dme123
Master Member

Goodbye C70!

It's been sold to a colleague (for £1500!) who is very enamoured with it. 144,000 miles on the clock and a running cost of 27p a mile for everything excluding deprectiation, 13p per mile in fuel, 34p a mile including deprectiation. Lifetime average is 43.12mpg.

I would attribute the following costs to the remap:

Map itself - £395
OE clutch that immediately started slipping (60k miles)- £631
Replacement gearbox (130k)- £300
Replacement clutch (it started slipping as the gearbox became noisy), DMF, CSC, driveshafts - £1,203.53

Total costs £2,530.49

It's *possible* that any or all of these would have failed at the same point without the remap, but it seems unlikely. You could perhaps take off one clutch change as fair wear and tear but the rest I don't think so. FWIW I've taken cars from new to 150k without needing a clutch.

Conclusion?

If you want a faster car, buy a faster car to start with.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
The Following User Says Thank You to dme123 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 11:13   #69
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Really sorry to hear about your cars demise. Hope you'll be getting another Volvo to replace it (S60R? )

Its a bit of a warning to me too as I was considering mapping my newly acquired S40 D5 with geartronic - if your manual box gave up the ghost, then my weaker autobox isn't going to last very long at all!

So thanks for the very useful info, and hope you find another car soon.

ATB
RT
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 11:15   #70
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme123 View Post
Conclusion?

If you want a faster car, buy a faster car to start with.
Do you know if the clutches are Volvo or Ford?

I think the quality of these Volvo's is pretty crap on the whole, mostly to blame is Ford but Volvo parts themselves are no longer as good as they used to be, I'd argue they're no better than any other car in terms of quality and reliability these days.

Hit 200k out of my old T4 and that was fairly well tuned and was still on the original clutch.....

What are you replacing the C70 with?