Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 - Another Windscreen Washer Issue!

Views : 1302

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 26th, 2017, 17:06   #1
JNMann

Default V70 - Another Windscreen Washer Issue!

I found a number of threads concerning washer issues but mine is slightly different.

Car is 2005 V70 D5, facelift.

I replaced the pump a year or so back, for a while it was ok but then a strange thing happened, the jets seemed to get confused, back screen washed when front should wash and vice versa. It settled down and only did this occasionally so I didn't worry.

Couple of weeks back the front jets packed up completely, rear was ok. I thought it was just low on water or maybe jets blocked so refilled. Nothing.

I put my hand under the bumper and checked for loose wires etc. nothing, but front washers started working again albeit a little weak. I checked the back washer, fine. Now the fronts no longer work again!

Today I stripped the bumper and removed the washer motor. All seems ok and the motor makes the right noise when activated in both directions. I put everything back together and now nothing works!

Only slight issue I found was the mesh on the rubber seal is damaged so could let grunge through. I'm now thinking it may be blocked lines, what's the best way to check, use an air line maybe?

I've ordered another motor just in case but as this appears to be working fine I doubt that's the issue. Could be loose/bad connection maybe?

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer please.

Last edited by JNMann; Nov 26th, 2017 at 17:08.
JNMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 18:17   #2
D5244T

Did you check & clean the filter in the washer bottle?
Also did you use a genuine washer motor or an aftermarket one?
D5244T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 18:56   #3
JNMann

The little black seal? Yes but it's ripped slightly.

I believe this was original part, replacement I've ordered won't be.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 18:13   #4
JNMann

Taken a while to get back to this ;-)

Bumper off today for repaint so took the opportunity to change the washer motor.

Still getting not water whatsoever, front or back. Motor appears to be working fine but no water at all!

Anyone advice what may be going wrong here please?
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 19:06   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

If you remove the pipe from the motor to the washers-at the motor if you see what I mean-and operate the washers does it squirt water?this would show whether pump is actually pumping so you could then check for blockages in the pipe.A thought has just occurred to me,when you operate the washers do the wipers work for a few sweeps as they should?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 19:31   #6
JNMann

Yes the wipers move as usual. I haven't seen any water come out of the pump once the pipe removed, thought this would indicate that the pump was faulty but I haver 2 here now so would seem strange.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 13:41   #7
JNMann

OK, bumpers been resprayed and wanting the back together :-)

Still no washer jets, however. I thought it may be wiring so whilst trying everything I could think of, I removed the rear wiper pipe and the front is working! Tried this several times and as soon as I reconnect the rear, everything stops.

So, its a new pump and appears to be working but could still be faulty? There's a short section of pipe connected to the pump in-line and then. the main pipe to the rear, some sort of valve? Could be this I guess?

Appreciate any advice, thank you.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 21:48   #8
mrfixer

I took my front bumper off a couple of weeks ago to remove front wing whilst I had this removed I thought I would see why my front washers weren't working pump okay so cleaned washer jets on the headlight arms still very poor took pipes off blew through with airline now working perfectly I think the return valve was stuck shut just needed a shock
mrfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2018, 15:39   #9
JNMann

Put a new valve in line and it made no difference. Removed the valve completely and for a minute I had front and back spraying! ...and then they both stopped!

So, I'm at the same position, connect front only and front works fine. Connect rear in an capacity and front stops working.

Something's happening when I connect the rear and I'm wondering if it could be linked to the rear washer motor in some way. Otherwise, could it possibly still be the pump? Worth trying another new one I guess...infuriating!
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 20:41   #10
JNMann

Going to try another motor and wondered if someone can confirm exact part number for my car please?

The part that came off is 1S71-17K624 FD, I've seen others ending in FE on eBay but not sure if these are different?

Just wondering if there are very slight differences that may be causing this issue.

I also saw an exploded view of the whole area somewhere, anyone link me to that again please?

Last edited by JNMann; Jul 12th, 2018 at 20:54.
JNMann is offline   Reply With Quote