Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tappety top end noise

Views : 1319

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 16:00   #1
reggit
Premier Member

Default Tappety top end noise

Just bought a 'new to me', but certainly not new V70 D5 E3 - the car showing 202k, and the engine has been changed a few years ago and I believe has 150k on it.

When the engine is cold all is well, but as it warms up it gets very tappet under load, when cruising the noise is audible but not intrusive, and off the throttle it's quiet.

I did think it could be a blowing exhaust manifold gasket, but can't see any witness marks. Using a long screwdriver 2 of the injectors sound loud, the other 3 are quiet - now suspecting an injector issue, but are they known to run loud when the engine is at normal operating temperature and quiet at other times?

Noise is definitely top end, and towards the centre and passenger side (ie away from belts)

Any pointers?

Cheers
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 17:09   #2
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
Just bought a 'new to me', but certainly not new V70 D5 E3 - the car showing 202k, and the engine has been changed a few years ago and I believe has 150k on it.

When the engine is cold all is well, but as it warms up it gets very tappet under load, when cruising the noise is audible but not intrusive, and off the throttle it's quiet.

I did think it could be a blowing exhaust manifold gasket, but can't see any witness marks. Using a long screwdriver 2 of the injectors sound loud, the other 3 are quiet - now suspecting an injector issue, but are they known to run loud when the engine is at normal operating temperature and quiet at other times?

Noise is definitely top end, and towards the centre and passenger side (ie away from belts)

Any pointers?

Cheers
tape a piece of tissue to a screwdriver to find manifold leaks . check all injectors are coded the same . a replacement may have been fitted with a different code
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 17:32   #3
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
tape a piece of tissue to a screwdriver to find manifold leaks . check all injectors are coded the same . a replacement may have been fitted with a different code

Good call on the tissue!

All injectors are the same '2'.
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 18:54   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

If it were mine, I'd get Vida on it to check the ECM is setup for Class 2 injectors, do an oil and filter change with Shell Helix Ultra 5 40, do a Liqui Moly Diesel Purge and I'd also add mineral 2 stroke oil to the fuel in a 200:1 ratio.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2018, 19:04   #5
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
If it were mine, I'd get Vida on it to check the ECM is setup for Class 2 injectors, do an oil and filter change with Shell Helix Ultra 5 40, do a Liqui Moly Diesel Purge and I'd also add mineral 2 stroke oil to the fuel in a 200:1 ratio.
More or less what I intended to do - try as I might, I can't find my dice box! suspect I've left it in the house and wifey has thrown it in the loft!
Old Apr 3rd, 2018, 07:15   #6
Stephen2015
S60 D5244T4

Wifey has thrown it in the loft!, Not good should always keep dicey at hand never know when you might need it in a hurry
Stephen2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 10:36   #7
reggit
Premier Member

Dice unit finally found!

Can't find the injector class setting under ECM, can someone point me in the right direction? Did find fuel correction, but the results seem erroneous and very similar to other posts on the forum.

Only 2 active fault codes logged; alarm siren and AQS - nothing unexpected there.

Now have the diesel purge and oil flush/new oil and filter, but waiting for it stop raining so I can do the work.

Looks like I'll be re-installing vida - after repatching it for the 2017 license issue, I'm getting WSL pop-ups. Worked round that for now. Something to do on a wet Saturday!
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 17:34   #8
reggit
Premier Member

Absolutely amazed at the 2-stroke oil idea! Really quietened the rattle down, although it's still there. Noticed a puddle of black oil residue around number 3 injector, gave it a clean up and then took the car for an 'italian tune up', noted 2 things; the noise clears at 3000 rpm upwards and there is signs of the oil returning.

Suspecting there is a slight compression leak on that injector; does it leave oily residue if it's blowing? or there's a weep from the rocker cover gasket, but I can't see one.

Going to lift the injector for an examination of the sealing washer; can these be re-annealed (assuming they're copper) and reused or do they need to be new?

Ta for advice so far.
Old Apr 7th, 2018, 18:15   #9
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

The washers are very cheap. Always buy new.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 10:12   #10
reggit
Premier Member

Just took the first 3 injectors out before work this morning - found 2 of them very oily with black diesel smelling goo, right up the bore the injector seats in - assuming this is a failed compression seal?

Anyway cleaned the injector bores and seats up, do the last 2 after work, then try and get the old sealing washers off - they are well and truly stuck - currently soaking in carb cleaner under papertowels