Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what clutch in a 1990 740 estate

Views : 2006

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2018, 17:13   #21
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Yup .... 1990 745 B200F LH2.4 M47 ... it's a dogdish!!
The car in question is a 1990 B230E (K-Jet) with 4 + O/D (M46 as i've always known it) so would that still have been a dogdish from new Bob?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 19:11   #22
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The car in question is a 1990 B230E (K-Jet) with 4 + O/D (M46 as i've always known it) so would that still have been a dogdish from new Bob?
Oh well!! ... don't ask me about these old fashioned set-ups Dave. I thought they only came in with something more slightly 'modern' with the B200/30F engines, and the M47 box. I got two one in use and the other something slightly less than mobile. You might guess that I am getting to the point where I don't care a fcuk
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 20:09   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Oh well!! ... don't ask me about these old fashioned set-ups Dave. I thought they only came in with something more slightly 'modern' with the B200/30F engines, and the M47 box. I got two one in use and the other something slightly less than mobile.
I thought the dogdish and/or the DMF only came in later as well Bob but like i said above, i've never needed to do a clutch on a Volvo so might be wrong.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 20:26   #24
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
Right, i'm confused now - the way i've always understood things gearboxes were :

M45 - 4-speed
M46 - 4-speed + O/D
M47 - 5-speed

Going all the way back to the 145 i had when i was 17, the Volvo handbook depicted the M45 and M46 - the M47 hadn't come along when it was printed.
Oh gosh knickers in a twist there. The 145 came with the M40 4 speed, M41 4 speed plus OD or the BW35 auto and those boxes followed onto the 240. The 240 then changed to the M45 4 speed and M46 4+od with teh fine spline clutch plate. With the introduction of the M47 5 speed the flywheel changed to the dished version (might be a year or two of M47's with a flat flywheel) The turbo models with M46 from that point on also use the dished flywheel.

The M90 petrol engines use the DMF 240mm
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 20:34   #25
bob12
bob12

Quote:
I thought the dogdish and/or the DMF only came in later as well Bob but like i said above, i've never needed to do a clutch on a Volvo so might be wrong.
That's the beauty of a 700 Series they never need a clutch ... unless you drive like a loon!!(nobody talked about DMF then, or even dogdish).

I got a new clutch fitted from the Main Dealer at about 67,000 miles as the car was coming off the firms books as I intended to keep the car (plus new Nivos - not that I knew anything about such animal at that time ... just change the rear shocks as they might be going soon!)

The current clutch is still fine at 80,000 miles or so. They only thing after this time is the usual screech noise from the spigot bearing sometimes on take up.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 20:40   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

No underwear was harmed during the typing of that post!

I may have it a bit wrong for the 145 i had then, it was 30+ years ago now. As i said in another post though, all other Volvos i've had since have been auto (except the 360GLT and the 440Li), BW35 in the 144 and ZF4HP22s in the 740s and AW70 in my current 760 which is the first 7xx i've had with electronic injection.

Either way, the M45 is 4-speed, M46 4+OD and M47 is 5-speed which was the point i was making so thanks for confirming that.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 20:52   #27
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Quote:
No underwear was harmed during the typing of that post!
LOL

Bob clutches normally last around the 100,000 mark and a fair bit lower if used for a lot of towing.

There is a local old dear who get less than 10,000 miles from a clutch as she almost constantly has her foot on the clutch
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 09:16   #28
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
LOL

Bob clutches normally last around the 100,000 mark and a fair bit lower if used for a lot of towing.

There is a local old dear who get less than 10,000 miles from a clutch as she almost constantly has her foot on the clutch
How does an M90 with 220k on the clock compare? I've put 116k on it and previous problems meant moving off in 3rd gear more often than I'd have liked, without a replacement clutch.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 14:48   #29
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
LOL

Point was it didn't cost me as the firm paid the lot and I haven't had to do anything to the clutch or Nivos as yet However the n/s Nivo is weeping slightly (and has been for a few years) so will have to dig out a spare this Summer! Cheers
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 22:20   #30
manxdog

Well this really has opened a can of worms!
All good info though, got a 91 740, b200f that will need a clutch soon to, only done 67k, not with me though.
Thats living on this island though, your on and off clutch constantly due to crap roads, mini roundabouts every 3 miles and lots of old dears etc!
Lots of cars with knackered engines and clutches due to never getting hot.
My b230 has 127k but having usual dash, its anybodys guess since odometer last moved!
manxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manxdog For This Useful Post: