Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar upgrade for diesel XC60

Views : 8494

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2018, 10:54   #11
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
To be honest when I had it done it felt much more lively. But after a few weeks it didn't feel so lively as I had gotten used to it. Lol.
If they provided a Polestar on/off switch, you could refresh your memory of the 'normal' engine !
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 18:45   #12
Mick787

I've had an e mail sent by Volvo offering a Polestar software upgrade at reduced cost of £695, saving £140. My car is the D5 AWD 220bhp manual. MY 2016. SE Lux Nav.
I don't want Carlos Fandango wheels or the filling in passengers teeth to be removed. Comfort with a bit of poke when needed, thats all I ask for. I don't go thrashing the car around from point to point. I'm currently experiencing a true 37mpg.
I'd appreciate any personal experience from any member who has had such an upgrade done. Has fuel economy been reduced. What has the BHP been changed to? Did the insurance company rub their hands with joy?
Was it worth it, can it be done to the vehicle or is this just a random round robin e mail or one that has been specifically sent to a chosen audience. Yes I can contact the dealership, but I'd like to hear from anyone who doesn't have an interest in making a few quid so I can weigh up pro's and cons.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 18:49   #13
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
I've had an e mail sent by Volvo offering a Polestar software upgrade at reduced cost of £695, saving £140. My car is the D5 AWD 220bhp manual. MY 2016. SE Lux Nav.
I don't want Carlos Fandango wheels or the filling in passengers teeth to be removed. Comfort with a bit of poke when needed, thats all I ask for. I don't go thrashing the car around from point to point. I'm currently experiencing a true 37mpg.
I'd appreciate any personal experience from any member who has had such an upgrade done. Has fuel economy been reduced. What has the BHP been changed to? Did the insurance company rub their hands with joy?
Was it worth it, can it be done to the vehicle or is this just a random round robin e mail or one that has been specifically sent to a chosen audience. Yes I can contact the dealership, but I'd like to hear from anyone who doesn't have an interest in making a few quid so I can weigh up pro's and cons.
I currently have a D5 SE Lux 2012 Auto without polestar but am swapping it to a D5 SE Lux Nav Auto 2015MY with Polestar next week. I'll report back.

I was also quoted £695 apparently the deal is on until September.

I'll also add on a 500 mile round trip at around 75mph I also get an indicated 37mpg. The New car is doing exactly the same trip next Sunday so we'll see if there's any difference.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 19:06   #14
Mick787

SwissXC90's post about the fuel curve makes sense.
I assume as this is a Volvo upgrade any warranty claims would be honoured. There is a little part of me which wonders if its a good thing to do and if the components which will be affected by any increase in power have been designed to cope with the extra load and not fail after a shorter period than 'normal'. Its nice to have 220 bhp at hand and the engine sounds superb when it is 'kicked'. AndyJudge, your run at 75 sounds 'normal' use for me, (well maybe a tad more mph but not too much more) so any feedback re fuel economy would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 09:14   #15
davB

Default Same Email

Same email arrived for me as well - I have XC60 D4 FWD and with the scary torque steer in Sports mode I'm not sure I want 220 bhp.

The perception of 'value' is also to be considered - £695! - gosh. A colleague at work said 'so Volvo knew they could get extra BHP from the engine and yet decided to sell it as an 'extra' - Indeed; I think it's called 'business'.

I did see that you have 14 days to decide whether to keep it so they have to be confident that most users would like it.
davB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 11:52   #16
Ima Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
In a diesel, More Power comes from burning more fuel

You cannot get more power and have higher MPG!
It is the opposite: as you will burn more fuel to get more power, the MPG will reduce

Of course, if the Polestar upgrade changes the fuel curve of the engine to use less fuel (which means less power) for sedate driving, and then more fuel (meaning more power) for spirited driving, then you may see a MPG improvement when driving sedately.

But at the end of the day the power comes from the fuel: you cannot have more power with less fuel!
Previously I had a Jeep Commander diesel Auto and a remap from 210 to 260 led to a huge improvement in the fuel consumption as the car would hold 1 or 2 gears higher up hills. The answer probably depends on whether you live in a town, in a flat area or - like here - hilly Dartmoor.
Ima Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 20:49   #17
mordred1973

I can't give a before and after comparison since mine was already Polestar'd by the dealer who had it as a demo. However in the 86000 miles I have put on since I love the torque the D5 230ps has and at the same time it's willingness to growl over 4000rpm if you feel like it....tows 1750kg amazingly too
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 21:08   #18
Mick787

Mordred1973, what kind of mpg have you been getting from the car? Did you let your insurance company know about the upgrade? (Just wondering what they said.)
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 21:58   #19
Considered1
Premier Member

QUOTE I have XC60 D4 FWD and with the scary torque steer in Sports mode I'm not sure I want 220 bhp.

All Seasons Tyres will solve this for you
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 08:15   #20
humming

As I understand it the £695 price is an 'all in' price for the update, installation and a 14 day trial, where you can have it unistalled and money back if you don't like it.

The £835 price is for the software package only, installing, etc. is extra, so you be close to £1000 mark when all done. On that basis, £695 is a good price.