Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Preventative maintenance, auto transmission and throttle bod

Views : 917

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2018, 21:08   #1
Soundmangaz

Default Preventative maintenance, auto transmission and throttle bod

Hi all, first time posting, apologies if wrong section etc etc...

I have two issues currently bubbling under with my car:

So, recently bought a 2000 volvo v70 mk1 (my second one after my first gave up the ghost). It has 110,000 on the clock and it pretty well looked after and maintained. Thing is, i'm starting to notice a couple of slight lumpy gearchanges from the auto box (yes it's the aw55 5speed with all the issues). And also, unrelated, the car will stall after 5minutes of sitting at idle.

So, preventative maintenance time.

Gearbox: do you think a thorough flush (gibbons mehtod) would do the trick, or should I be looking at gearbox software updates too, and if the latter, do volvo dealers still do them, or anyone in and around bristol able to do them?!

Throttle/stalling: i'm assuming this is a throttle body issue, and that at some point it'll get worse and i'll have to replace it, or am I barking up the wrong tree, could it be a sensor on the way out, the maf or the o2 post cat for example (did the pre-cat when I got it due to eml).

Oh and no messages stored in the obd, except a too lean message whilst I was checking it as it stalled (i'm assuming this was an effect of the stall, and not the cause....)

Any help much appreciated, I love my old wagon!
Soundmangaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 13:22   #2
Soundmangaz

Anybody able to offer any help or insight please?!
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 16:51   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

Hello Soundmangaz,

You say it's a recent purchase so, not wishing to rock the boat, so to speak, do you have solid evidence that it has been well maintained or are you taking someones word for it? For example: how recently was it serviced and, as part of the service, was the fuel filter replaced because if it happens to be still on its original it could be causing fuel starvation.

If you have no knowledge or documented history of the transmission fluid being changed it would be wise to carry out a flush on the box...even if it is cherry red it could be the incorrect grade/type of fluid.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 20:08   #4
Soundmangaz

Hi,

Thanks Liam.

Car has a pretty comprehensive service history, and without looking at in front of me, can't remember how recently it was serviced, but not sure if fuel filter has been done recently. Might have a look at that. The thing is it doesn't seem to be affecting performance other than after a few minutes of idle causes stall. That could still be fuel filter couldn't it?!

Going to go ahead with the flush for sure. Do you know if anyone is still doing the software updates though?
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 18:42   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Car has a pretty comprehensive service history, and without looking at in front of me, can't remember how recently it was serviced, but not sure if fuel filter has been done recently. Might have a look at that. The thing is it doesn't seem to be affecting performance other than after a few minutes of idle causes stall. That could still be fuel filter couldn't it?!
Possibly... It's one of the first things I'd replace especially if there's no record of it being done. After that I'd be looking to clean/service the throttle body and check all associated hoses for damage/deterioration.

Does it start up straight away once it stalls?

Any other symptoms? Eg: Does it only happen when below 1/4 tank? Immobiliser warning light in the instrument panel perhaps?

Quote:
Going to go ahead with the flush for sure. Do you know if anyone is still doing the software updates though?
Again, definitely worth doing a fluid change but be sure you use the correct grade and get the levels spot on. Plenty of info regarding the AW55 in these forums.

I'm pretty sure Volvo still do the upgrades so give you local dealer a call...you may wish to be sitting down at the time

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 09:01   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Read the FAQ I did on this and the rest. No software update is necessary on this box. In fact it has no reason to see a dealer ever again.

Quote:
(yes it's the aw55 5speed with all the issues). And also, unrelated, the car will stall after 5minutes of sitting at idle.
You are confused with the more fragile early P2 model boxes (2001-2003). There are no issues other than lack of maintenance, and under-cooling. You will have to flush, if you've caught it early enough, I would be surprised it it doesn't cure your box issues. Mannol JWS 3309 ATF is cheapest. If you only see the flaring when hot you're in luck. It'll be black, burnt and overheated ATF. If you see flaring cold, it's likely too late. There is nothing wrong with the particular version of box in your car. It'll do 350,000-400,00 easy. (Mine has that on it now) But with burnt fluid, or the wrong levels, much, much less. if, instead of ATF, it has a black substance in there, it could be over already.

Don't mess with cleaning the ETM or putting in another Magneto Marelli unit . Waste of time. All covered in the FAQ.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Apr 20th, 2018 at 09:21.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 00:21   #7
Soundmangaz

@Baffler:

Thanks for your response. I'll probably swap out the fuel filter then I reckon, see if that helps. Car starts straight away no problem, no lights on the dash, seems to do it regardless of amount of fuel. Could be vacuum pipes too though, i'll have a good look at them.

@CNGBiFuel:

Thanks for your response too. I haven't come across your particular thread in the faq's, but i'll definitely look it up, thanks for the tip.

Also, that's quite reassuring about the throttle body and gearbox for my year. There's a lot of confusing material about these gearboxes and what year they were in etc. Would be great to not have to do software updates if poss. Have already bought the (correct) fluid, and will be doing the flush soon. Fingers crossed. It does sometimes shift hard from 2nd to 3rd when cold, but i'm really hoping that it's not terminal. It's only done 110,000 and it feels like it was driven very sensibly by only two previous owners.. Fingers crossed! I'll report back when it's done.
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 08:08   #8
Winetippler

Default Similar....

I brought my '06' plate XC90 (It's a diesel AWD 2.4) in December. 122k miles on the clock.

A week ago my car flared when changing from 2nd - 3rd gear.

Joined this website. Read the horror stories. Booked the car into an independent volvo garage.
The mechanic ran a diagnostic and came up with a fault code he had not seen before and the volvo diagnostic information did not specify the exact problem.

I got the transmission fluid changed and crossed my fingers.

The car 'flared' twice yesterday post transmission fluid change.

However......it only happens when I am driving around 20-30mph uphill and it seems like the car cannot decide whether to change from 2nd - 3rd.

There have been no issues with any other gear changes.

Ideas anyone?

(Please do not recommend a new gear box unless you want to make a grown man cry!!)
Winetippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 14:35   #9
davidsmith1307

I'd recommend asking the XC90 group rather than the P80 platform group.

There are some seriously capable people on the XC90 area.

Tags
auto gearbox, stalling