Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which car audio?

Views : 573

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2018, 01:58   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Which car audio?

My S90 has an SC-813 audio fitted - lovely radio and tape but no CD player.

Does anyone know which other head unit that includes a CD would be a straight plug-and-play swap?

Would an SC 805 from a p1 V/C/S70 do the trick for example? The manual shows an SC 816 as the other factory option for my car. This looks to be identical to an SC 805, or are there differences that are not apparent just by looking?

Or could it be that my car is pre-wired for a CD changer?

Any thoughts?

Ta

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 09:56   #2
aardvarkash10
Master Member

what's a CD, daddy? ;-)
aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 12:23   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It's a funny looking LP son.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 13:23   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Ha ha guys! Thanks. Yes I am old, and yes I still have CDs!

But seriously, even I no longer have access to compact cassettes, so I've no way of playing my choice of tune in my lovely shiny motor!

I don't want to stray too far from stock, I don't own any sort of I-Gismo, nor do I want bits of wire and adaptors draped across the car.

I've seen a nice-looking double-din Pioneer unit at Halfords for £90, but if I'm reading it right, this would also require a speaker upgrade. Looking at the owner's manual on the Pioneer website, they do all in their power to dissuade the DIY owner. Halfords will fit of course, but I can foresee a big bill for all sorts of add-ons, and the prospect of allowing a Halfords fitter pull my lovely dash apart fills me with dread.

Thoughts gentlemen please!

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 15:47   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

First i'd be reluctant to let a Halfrauds fitter anywhere near any of my cars!

Second, have you looked on ebay at all?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Sc-...kAAOSwlL1aoCYV

That's secondhand with the code, should fit/work in yours with no mods i would think. However i'm not that well up on the S/V/C models so i can't be sure.

Next choice is :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-S60...8AAOSwqbxZ82fo

That's for an S60 (not sure on the difference between an S60 and 90?) but the same seller has a lot of different dedicated Volvo upgrade kits with a variety of options including double-DIN DAB units and so on. I'd suggest you have a look at the sellers other items and find something you like then message them to see if it would be compatible with yours.

I keep thinking of doing something similar for mine, at present i have a single shot Clarion CD/radio that i got secondhand (it had one of those horrible £20 Maplin "Sendai" CD/radios in when i got it) but i also have a radio/cassette head unit and 6-disc changer sitting here with the leads - trouble is i'm not sure the leads are ok as one of them was removed from one of my other cars because the CD changer had packed up!
There was another incentive, i'd found the ultra-rare "Premium Audio" package on ebay for that car so it was fitted, 2 parrots, one missile etc!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 10:20   #6
855 tdi
Master Member

Literally the other day I fitted a cd player to my V70, basically the same as your car in terms of audio slot. Double din is ok but unless you're getting one for all the fancy stuff going single din is just as good, I bought this JVC model from Halfords for £60, the iso cable was bought off ebay for a few quid and a single din storage slot which i'm yet to fit (ignore the 940 bit, was just testing it). It has cd, usb slot, aux in, a hands free mic, bluetooth and seems pretty good at picking up stations although that might be the V70 aerial vs my 940's. The cage is included and all I did was plug in the cable included then plug in the ebay iso connectors and finally plug in the car connectors you already have in the car into the ebay connector, plug in the aerial and job done. One thing I dislike about it is the lack of a turn dial to adjust volume which is much easier without looking while driving but it's not like I adjust it that much so I can live with it. The connector and storage bit should fit your car too as it is the same slot essentially. For the fitting fee all a Halfords monkey is doing is what i've done using a pre built plug in iso connector, I watched them fit my 940's and thought I can do that.. so I did and saved me money.

If you wish to keep Volvo then I believe anything from an 850, V/S/C70 and some early V/S40 models will fit, if the connectors on the back match, just make sure it comes with the code.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ISO-Wirin...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-850...72.m2749.l2649

Volvo 855 TDI 228,000M (sold) Volvo V70 2.5D 218,000m (sold)
Volvo 745 GLE 129,000M (Tankenstein) Volvo 940 SE HPT 115,000M
855 tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 855 tdi For This Useful Post: