Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake pipes

Views : 353

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2018, 16:33   #1
mrfixer

Default Brake pipes

Well I'm glad that's over and done with,rear metal brake pipes both sides nearside doddle offside bxxxard
Why do manufacturers fit them without thinking about replacing them later on in the vehicles lifespan
mrfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 03:13   #2
canis
Non Fragile

Because most people buying cars aren't buying them with a regard to maintaining them. Indeed, that is heavily discouraged by warranty clauses. What they want is every last saving. I mean, how much can a reversing light and fog light cost? Pennies - yet still even today, cars are rolling off production lines with only one of each. Bet they come with built in satellite navigation though.

A better question would be; Why isn't there someone taking advantage of an obvious hole in the market? The answer is, sadly, people maintaining their own cars don't buy new ones.

Another example of how granting "The Economy" god-like status and allowing it to choose Mankind's direction is doing grave damage to our species, other species', and our planet.

They'd have us believe that everything self-regulates. What we witness first-hand is anything but. Continually, we are witnessing products and services dimishing in quality and prices creeping upwards. I guess economists would call that profit, but it's easy to see the scam - everyone produce crap goods, then the consumer has no choice but to buy the cheapest crap available. It's still crap, just cheaper than the other crap.

A manufacturer who bucks this trend is doomed. Even if he advertised his wares as high quality, no-one would believe him, and they'd still buy the crap because "It does the job" (until it doesn't) and "You get what you pay for" (no, you don't, those days are over. You get what the marketeers and their reams of statistical data show they can get away with for as much as they can screw out of you.)

21st century, in a nutshell. Expect it to get worse yet. But hey, when you can fill an entire supermarket aisle with about two hundred different types of toothpaste (all mint), and wash your hair with watermelon and ylang ylang (of about two dozen other flavours), it's obvious that "the people" are a bunch of retards who haven't got a clue about real priorities. How many of them have ever been TRULY hungry? Like, not eaten for over a week? You'll see them, making consumer choices over toothpaste based on - what? The packaging, making ludicrous claims about "removes up to 100% of stains", thank goodness for that, I'd hate to end up with a tooth stain deficit!

These are the people who are buying new cars - and they wouldn't know a brake pipe from a falopian tube. They're the target market, not you, nor I.

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but as a species, we are crap.

Last edited by canis; Apr 21st, 2018 at 03:16.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post: