Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driving in France

Views : 7967

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2010, 19:08   #11
Waggatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDave View Post
Finally I have a car where I don't need to mess with the headlights.
Can someone enlighten me please.

Do I therefore not need to put stickers on my headlamps if going over the channel ? And if not...how do I change to continental settings?

thanks.....
Waggatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 19:53   #12
nosmoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebster View Post

Do I therefore not need to put stickers on my headlamps if going over the channel ? And if not...how do I change to continental settings?

thanks.....
Only with Xenon lights, then it's set "Temp RH Lights" in the menu. Xenon on SE trim and above AFAIK.

Correction:
Active Bending Lights with Dual Xenon technology is on trim SE Lux only.

Last edited by nosmoking; Jun 25th, 2010 at 20:16.
nosmoking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nosmoking For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 20:03   #13
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebster View Post

thanks.....
I think that the original post refers to the XC60, with the Active Bending Headlights.
These can be adjusted, with the touch of a button, for Left to Right Hand driving. (Have this system, on my XC60)

If you do not have the above, there should be information, contained within the owners hand book.
On the XC90, I used a strip of electrical tape, dimensions, taken from the handbook.

Driving, in the summer months, should not pose too big a problem, but once it gets dark, you will soon get flashed, by on coming traffic and eventually, pulled over, by the Police, especially, in France.

Be safe and avoid paying Euro fines, by fitting the deflectors (stickers).

Another point, reflective jackets/vests are now mandatory in France, along with other European countries.

If you are not a seasoned driver, in Europe, I suggest one looks at the AA website. There you will obtain all the latest info, regarding, driving in Europe.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tem For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 08:41   #14
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickfingers View Post
I was travelling on the Hull - Rotterdam in March this year and over the years have done so many times. For the first time the Police were out in force (approx 15 - 20) and they breathalysed every single driver!! So those that like a little tipple on the overnight ferry, beware - fines in Holland can be extreme. That applies to speeding too. I have known friends caught speeding in Belgium who have been taken to the nearest cash point to pay rather heavy fines!
The Netherlands will even impound your car if you are driving quickly enough! It used to be above 150kph, but lately I have been pushed to get above 80kph in the Netherlands due to congestion
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 08:42   #15
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickfingers View Post
I was travelling on the Hull - Rotterdam in March this year and over the years have done so many times. For the first time the Police were out in force (approx 15 - 20) and they breathalysed every single driver!! So those that like a little tipple on the overnight ferry, beware - fines in Holland can be extreme. That applies to speeding too. I have known friends caught speeding in Belgium who have been taken to the nearest cash point to pay rather heavy fines!
The Netherlands will even impound your car if you are driving quickly enough! It used to be above 150kph, but lately I have been pushed to get above 80kph in the Netherlands due to congestion

And we think our roads are bad!!

*sorry about double post - not sure what happened there*
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 09:36   #16
husky125

Default Driving in France

New to this site and find this all interesting as I have just purchased a XC 60
D5 se lux premium and have had misleading informaation from the dealer on the lights. They said that as there was no button on the dash I did not have active lights and to switch sides the lamps had to be removed, but as stated by others mine can be switched from the main menu !
Also if using a ferry and it is a rough crossing you can cancel the motion part of the alarm also on the main menu.This appears to reset to normal full alarm next time you use the car.
husky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 10:26   #17
nosmoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky125 View Post
New to this site and find this all interesting as I have just purchased a XC 60
D5 se lux premium and have had misleading informaation from the dealer on the lights. They said that as there was no button on the dash I did not have active lights and to switch sides the lamps had to be removed, but as stated by others mine can be switched from the main menu !
Also if using a ferry and it is a rough crossing you can cancel the motion part of the alarm also on the main menu.This appears to reset to normal full alarm next time you use the car.
Pretty poor product knowledge from your dealer, but fortunately there are forums like this. Case in point: I was not aware of the motion sensor disable feature...

Do you have integrated SatNav in yours? If so, what version of map discs came with your car? I'm trying to get an update from Volvo but no luck so far; refer to my previous post:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=97219
nosmoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 08:52   #18
husky125

Default Driving in France

Sorry for delay, but boot full over week end, discs all marked 09 for the built in sat nav. Have the form for the free updates, but not sent it off yet.
Assume my car is what you call a 2010 model, orderded 1 st week Feb. for end March delivery slot received in June !
Car came with heated front seats as standard and these appear to be extras on 2011.

Have used sat nav and seems better than press reports, off to France Thursday and will try it out over there.
husky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 11:23   #19
mu71rd

The other thing i heard recently is that at ports in France (Calais particularly) police are out in force giving on the spot fines (£80 i think) to anyone who cannot produce a high vis jacket and triangle. Obviously short of a bit of cash, and it's easy pickings - so makes sure you've got everything you need.

Might want to have got the triangle out of the boot before you pack the car, for this reason...
mu71rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 23:30   #20
Astraeus

Where is the option to switch headlights for driving in Europe please?
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote