Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

your advice plz before I commit to purchase

Views : 2225

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2013, 13:54   #1
eddycass

Default your advice plz before I commit to purchase

Hi guys

Could anyone dispel my last seed of doubt before i commit to purchase and advise me as to whether or not this sort of damage to the intercooler matrix is consistent with a 2007 xc90 with 83000 miles on the clock, assuming they are mostly motorway miles?

thanks

sorry guys tried to upload an image or two but but keep getting upload failed message, your help with this plz
eddycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 15:12   #2
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Just wondering how you can see the intercooler, as it's sandwiched between the A/C and coolant rads, well it is on mine?
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 15:44   #3
eddycass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducklakeview View Post
Just wondering how you can see the intercooler, as it's sandwiched between the A/C and coolant rads, well it is on mine?
I knew the rads were in a bank of three, Just assumed the front one was the intercooler, correct me again if I'm wrong but is the front one the air con radiator? Thanks
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 15:47   #4
ianu
Premier Member

If u have an oily mist around the top/bottom of the rads - that would indicate a leaking intercooler rad. Age and mileage - depends but is feasible it could have gone. But it is another of the weak points.
In the scheme of things not too expensive especially if you can do it yourself. If I recall correctly about £130ish from FRF and a mornings work diy.
The intercooler rad is the middle of the 3 sandwhiched between aircon (front) and water rads.

Cheers
Ian
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ianu For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 16:25   #5
eddycass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
If u have an oily mist around the top/bottom of the rads - that would indicate a leaking intercooler rad. Age and mileage - depends but is feasible it could have gone. But it is another of the weak points.
In the scheme of things not too expensive especially if you can do it yourself. If I recall correctly about £130ish from FRF and a mornings work diy.
The intercooler rad is the middle of the 3 sandwhiched between aircon (front) and water rads.

Cheers
Ian
I don't recall seeing any oily mist in those areas, fingers crossed.

There seems to be a lot of damage to the aircon rad matrix/fins (got it right this time) and is more prevalent to the left and right side of the radiator to the point where the fins have almost been flattened and touching one other.

Seems like a lot of stone damage to me and was Just wondered if this was consistent with the age and mileage?

I took pics of the vehicle the last time I viewed it but I can't seem to upload it to the forum for some reason.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 00:30   #6
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddycass View Post
I don't recall seeing any oily mist in those areas, fingers crossed.

There seems to be a lot of damage to the aircon rad matrix/fins (got it right this time) and is more prevalent to the left and right side of the radiator to the point where the fins have almost been flattened and touching one other.

Seems like a lot of stone damage to me and was Just wondered if this was consistent with the age and mileage?

I took pics of the vehicle the last time I viewed it but I can't seem to upload it to the forum for some reason.
I wouldnt say it was typical - but I know some others have indicated what seems to be quite a hammering to the aircon rad. Mine has done a lot of motorway miles and seems to look ok - so guess some have just been a bit unluckier than others !!
Not a show stopper in my opinion :-)

Cheers
Ian.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 09:41   #7
eddycass

Quote:
I wouldnt say it was typical - but I know some others have indicated what seems to be quite a hammering to the aircon rad. Mine has done a lot of motorway miles and seems to look ok - so guess some have just been a bit unluckier than others !!
Not a show stopper in my opinion :-)

Cheers
Ian.
Thanks for you input Ianu.

All the history checks were ok but looking at the aircon rad I was beginning to doubt whether the mileage was genuine, a few reassuring words from yourself and roymacdonald in another one of my posts has made me feel a whole lot better, especially as we're handing over our hard earned cash this evening!

Dodgy mileage correction companies have a lot to answer for and in my opinion makes buying a used car an absolute nightmare!
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 12:32   #8
ianu
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Your welcome - it's what this forum is all about (although I don't offer any warranty :-) )

One final thing though - DO make sure the air con is working and the rad hasn't leaked all the gas.
Turn both the temp dials to min and expect a chilling blast from the vents.

Cheers
Ian.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 12:39   #9
Ducklakeview
239,450 miles & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddycass View Post

Dodgy mileage correction companies have a lot to answer for and in my opinion makes buying a used car an absolute nightmare!
Which is the precise reason I'd always choose a high miler WITH fully documented history, rather than a lower mileage example that may have had a "haircut"
Ducklakeview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 15:27   #10
eddycass

Quote:
Your welcome - it's what this forum is all about (although I don't offer any warranty :-) )

One final thing though - DO make sure the air con is working and the rad hasn't leaked all the gas.
Turn both the temp dials to min and expect a chilling blast from the vents.

Cheers
Ian.
LOL. This forum is more useful than some warranties, at least you didn't take any money and run!

Checked it on the test drive but definitely on the todo list now i know what I'm looking for around the slam panel area.

Last edited by eddycass; Jun 14th, 2013 at 15:42.