Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how to install a new SIM card?

Views : 2723

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 11:48   #11
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDen View Post
I have a question not in fitting the SIM to the car, but activating the SIM.

I've got a 3 Sim with legs as mentioned on the forum previously. I need to activate it with 3. Do I need to put the SIM in an old phone to do this or can it be done via the car?

I have an old Nokia with the correct SIM card slot which I have kept for this purpose, but having just put the new SIM in it is not recognised by the phone.

Does anyone do the activation in the car?
The SIM doesn't need to be activated to work in the car. I changed mine the other week, just popped the SIM in the SIM holder and it just works without activation.

I did the activation last time I changed it a couple of years ago and you can't complete the activation in the car, I had to install the SIM temporarily into my phone to be able to complete the activation. I used my current phone for this and all was well. Apropos the SIM not being recognised, it may be because it's a data SIM and you cannot make calls with it? I would try using your current phone to complete the activation.
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 10:16   #12
DriverDen

Thanks for the tip. I didn't activate the SIM this time, just put it in the car.
Previous - XC60 D5, 2 x V70, Santa Fe, Mondeo, Primera, Metro
DriverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 10:29   #13
Boatie
Master Member

I tried to insert/activate a replacemnet sim (3 ) yesterday without success. After some painful grovelling (it's the knees and back, to say nothing about getting up afterwards), I followed the procedure in the handbook faithfully but kept getting a 'no sim' message. Double checked that the sim was correctly installed but no luck. In the end I gave up and booked it into my local dealer for tomorrow. I will try and insist upon watching the process.
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 00:23   #14
dgomes

Before taking it to the dealer, I would test it on a regular phone to make sure the problem is not on the SIM card or service contrated with the carrier.

Have you done that?
dgomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 12:55   #15
OldEngineer

I think a 'data' only card won't work in a phone. A separate dongle might be a relevant test.
My sim card from Three just worked straight out of the pack.
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 13:17   #16
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgomes View Post
Before taking it to the dealer, I would test it on a regular phone to make sure the problem is not on the SIM card or service contrated with the carrier.

Have you done that?
My phone takes a different size card.

Anyway, took the car in today and seemingly I had inserted the sim holder into the reader the wrong way around!!! In my own defence, on the V90, the holder is located to the rear of the spare tyre well. Seemingly both the reader and the SIM carrier have arrows on to indicate which way to insert the SIM. The arrow on the reader is on the back of it and out of sight. At 74 crawling to the back of the tyre well is not practical and I assumed, wrongly, that only the carrier was marked. Not Volvos best bit of design or handbook guidance.
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 17:39   #17
Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
My phone takes a different size card.

At 74 crawling to the back of the tyre well is not practical and I assumed, wrongly, that only the carrier was marked. Not Volvos best bit of design or handbook guidance.
You have my sympathy Boatie (I'm 75) but in my S90 you can open a rear door, drop the rear seat back, lean forward a touch, lift the boot floor covering and access the little box thingy directly. Without crawling. You can even see the arrows in daylight. Is the V90 that different?

MY2020 Volvo S90 Inscription Plus D4, Osmium Grey, Winter Pack and other bits and pieces
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 19:00   #18
OldEngineer

On the V90, dropping the seat back causes the base of it to swivel backwards and hide the access. If you could stop it halfway down and lean in to the reduced space it might reveal itself. But in the end it's just easier to climb in from the tailgate.
Maybe Volvo designed it to be hidden so car thieves can't disable theft tracking.
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 22:25   #19
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison View Post
You have my sympathy Boatie (I'm 75) but in my S90 you can open a rear door, drop the rear seat back, lean forward a touch, lift the boot floor covering and access the little box thingy directly. Without crawling. You can even see the arrows in daylight. Is the V90 that different?
Yep! The load deck floor is hinged and supported by 2 hydraulic struts which allow the floor to lifted to an angle of about 45 degrees for access to the spare and SIM reader. Anyway, I know now and I'm 'connected'. Hopefully this thread will help others in the future.
Old Oct 7th, 2021, 10:47   #20
badonkadonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEngineer View Post
I think a 'data' only card won't work in a phone. A separate dongle might be a relevant test.
My sim card from Three just worked straight out of the pack.
Yes, be careful with this. I tried to activate a 3 payg data sim in a phone, and 3 switched it to be a general use plan.