Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

running without a DPF?!?

Views : 1128

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2019, 13:24   #11
emmdee
Premier Member

Hi dingov70

I have to take pains to say this is not my car and I'm not driving it. I wonder if it's an offence in Ireland too? None of my business, really, but why would you bother putting a DPF on a car if it was both safe and legal to drive without one? I have my doubts, as you've expressed. If he gets caught out it's no skin off my nose...

Time will tell. My father in law has driven some legendarily crap cars in his time!

m.d.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 14:36   #12
Whippy
Premier Member

Is it illegal to remove a DPF n Ireland? Yes.Under S.I. No. 190 of 1963 of Road Traffic Construction, Equipment and Use Regulations 1963 (as amended), it is an offence to use a vehicle that has been modified in such a way that it emits any harmful content that may cause damage to person or property or endanger the safety or health of any other user of the public place. Removal of a DPF will almost invariably contravene these requirements making the vehicle illegal for road use thus potentially resulting in penalties. The enforcement of road traffic legislation is a matter for An Garda Síochána.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 15:55   #13
phil1968
Master Member

I wondered what all the fuss was about with DPFs, especially when you consider that diesels of old didn't come equipped with them. Then I found out that modern diesels burn the fuel much more completely, emitting much smaller soot particulates which are much more easily absorbed through the lung linings & a real problem for those with aspiration issues. Hence the need for DPFs.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 22:54   #14
Black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
That's cheating and illegal, as well as immoral

That's like saying: I'll just rob a bank, it'll be fine as long as no-one looks
It is what it is, but the question was will it run and will it pass test in Ireland. And yes it will, north and republic. Will pass emissions test as long as smoke isn't visible and welds are not seen.
Don't shoot for answering the question asked.
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 21:10   #15
dingov70
Master Member

Just to make clear once & for all

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...h-implications

Please read as I regularly test & fail cars that have had Cat / dpf / EGR delete performed . owners are normally finding out the hard way at test all is not well & the same story becomes common , they bought the car WITH an MOT / test certificate and are now facing a large bill to replace & repair any issues found .

One unhappy owner has sued the vehicle seller for the cost of rectifying the car & it is presently going to the Courts to get his money & compensation