Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B21 that won't idle when warm

Views : 502

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2019, 20:30   #1
Baeveren

Default B21 that won't idle when warm

I previously had a problem with the cold start, for which I eventually found the part responsible and replaced it, and now a few months later I seem to have a problem once the motor is warm. It is a B21 motor, injected, and once it becomes warm (and I am guessing the cold start system goes off-line) it won't idle. I have tried adjusting the idle screw to no effect. At the moment the only thing that makes the car drivable is tightening the throttle cable a little. The manual doesn't seem to have any suggestions, does anyone in here? It is something that has happened from one day till the next so I strongly suspect that something has suddenly stopped doing what it is supposed to.

Cheers

Angus
Baeveren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 22:30   #2
Brucee

the symptoms you describe will have a different meaning depending on whether the engine has or hasn't got an O2 sensor and does or doesn't run under closed loop control.

But anyway the first thing I would look for is an air leak into the inlet manifold. One method of doing this is to use a flammable spray of some kind near potential leak points such as rubber joints, gaskets, hose connections etc. when you hit the leak, the idle speed picks up.

If there is an air leak this may be tolerated when the engine is cold for two reasons;

1) the mixture is rich anyway and
2) the amount of air going into the engine is quite large; the drag of cold oil etc in the engine means there is usually at least twice as much fuel being burned at idle on a cold engine vs a hot one.

The latter point means that the significance of any air leak becomes greter when the engine is hot.

cheers
Brucee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 08:11   #3
Baeveren

Thanks Brucee

I gave it a liberal go with some starter spray and it made no noticeable change. I did however play with the idle a little more, while I was there, which did produce a result. It is back to idling as it should and everything is good. Thanks for your input, it was appreciated!
Baeveren is offline   Reply With Quote