Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My15 V60 D4. Giving off oily fumes

Views : 26337

Replies : 118

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2019, 15:31   #51
DTaylor

OK, latest is they have checked out the PCV system and say it is working OK. They are saying they can not find ANYTHING wrong with the car other than residual oil that they have done their best to remove. The pollen filter was the wrong one and badly fitted so they have changed this.

They are suspecting that when the car goes into a regen cycle, the additional heat (up to 600deg) is causing old oil to vapourise, which is why they have replaced the pollen filter, hopefully so I won't notice it.

I'm not convinced. The guy at work that mentioned the PCV issue races cars in the Toyota Sprint series, so he knows a bit more about cars than me.

I'm going to get him to read the advice Clan has offered on here and ask him to have a look as well because I am not convinced at all this has been resolved and will end up with booking number 6 after my next long journey..

Can I thank you Clan for looking at this thread and for the advice you have offered. It is appreciated.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 15:47   #52
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTaylor View Post
OK, latest is they have checked out the PCV system and say it is working OK. They are saying they can not find ANYTHING wrong with the car other than residual oil that they have done their best to remove. The pollen filter was the wrong one and badly fitted so they have changed this.

They are suspecting that when the car goes into a regen cycle, the additional heat (up to 600deg) is causing old oil to vapourise, which is why they have replaced the pollen filter, hopefully so I won't notice it.

I'm not convinced. The guy at work that mentioned the PCV issue races cars in the Toyota Sprint series, so he knows a bit more about cars than me.

I'm going to get him to read the advice Clan has offered on here and ask him to have a look as well because I am not convinced at all this has been resolved and will end up with booking number 6 after my next long journey..

Can I thank you Clan for looking at this thread and for the advice you have offered. It is appreciated.
you are welcome , there may be some truth in their theory about left over oil leaks burning off with regeneration .. if it turns out to be something in the breather sticking inside the cam cover it may also explain high oil consumption a few people are getting ... If your glove is inflating there is pressure in the crankcase after all ..
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 18:45   #53
DTaylor

I retried the glove test this afternoon. It is no longer inflating, starts to draw it in slightly which according to the videos I've seen is normal. So I'm wondering now if they disturbed something when checking it out.

They took me into the workshop and showed me underneath the car and there is still some residual oil from before, even though on visit 4 they assured me it had all been cleaned off. One of the pipes in particular looked very oily and I did ask if it was possible this had perished and was assured it was OK.

The car was fine up until 2 months ago, I'm sure Volvo's aren't meant to smoke like this. So with the dealership saying on several visits now there is nothing wrong with the car all I can do is run it and see what happens. I think if it was to fail catastrophically I'd be covered anyway with so many dealership visits for this issue.

All I can do I think is next time it happens try and get the phone down the back a bit better to see if I can capture where the smoke is coming from.

My next long run is to the WRC in Wales in just over a weeks time. Hopefully the car will be fine.
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 19:25   #54
gillypop

My car began oil loss around 8 months ago and this thread got me thinking that it could be the crankcase ventilation causing the problem. Volvo looked at it in February when it was in for the egr fix and just advised minor leak so I have monitored ever since and didn't fancy several trips to Volvo. Could a blocked pcv be caused by the egr issues?

I tried the glove test at tick over. I didn't need to put a glove on the filler cap as the pressure can be felt with a hand accompanied with splattering oil out of the filler cap. It would inflate a glove in less than a second. I assume this is incorrect and the reason for my oil loss as its pressuring seals that are not designed to work under that pressure and pushing past and leaking down the engine somewhere at the back.

I guess my next step is a visit to volvo unless it's an easy fix?
1998 V40 T4 Manual 120,000 miles (Previous)
1998 S40 2.0 Auto 187,000 miles (Previous)
gillypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 23:03   #55
DTaylor

Glove should not inflate - gently draw glove into engine. This is how the fumes are drawn out and into the engine via a valve, they should be sucked out hence the slightly negative pressure.

Some PCV valves have diaphragms inside that can split - unsure if the Volvo ones do. Also the pipework may block.

There is a good explanation here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPIfI9aZHt4
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 23:26   #56
gillypop

I have definitely got a problem. I have not been able to place a glove over the oil filler as the pressure is too strong. It would just blow it off.

I compared it with my d5 and that was operating correctly with the glove slowly deflating.

Thanks for replying

Last edited by gillypop; Oct 1st, 2019 at 23:33.
The Following User Says Thank You to gillypop For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 08:27   #57
Sammerc

Hi, new to the forum and Volvo in general. Last night I had the exact same symptoms that DTaylor has been having with the smoke and smell. Before reading this thread I instantly thought maybe dpf regen or along them lines. I was wondering if you have had the issue back since the garage may have inadvertently fixed the issue? Only had the car a few weeks and travel around 80 miles a day and this is the first instance I’ve had of the oily smell and smoke. Just pulled up to work today and fine no smoke or smell
Sammerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 10:49   #58
gillypop

Car is at Volvo today, so will update later.
The Following User Says Thank You to gillypop For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 15:13   #59
gillypop

Garage just rang me and advised me that oil leaks from valve cover and possibly from crankcase seal (needs timing cover removal to confirm). Then told me how much work was involved to sort out valve cover seal. I then asked is the positive pressure out of the filler cap correct .... shouldn't it be negative.....a bit of a silence ......okay we need to check that. I said I do not want to spend hundreds of pounds if they don't know the root cause.

My question to the forum is if the problem is the crankcase ventilation and is fixed do the seals need replacing or should they be okay if they have not been pushed out?
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 15:46   #60
Sammerc

From an engineering perspective I would say no they shouldn’t. If it is the ventilation that is the issue and that is fixed, the then lack of pressure should mean the seals are good if they haven’t blown. I am interested to see whether they come back and say that is the issue or now have a rethink because of the negative pressure comment
Sammerc is offline   Reply With Quote