Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel Change

Views : 1302

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2019, 12:08   #1
billyboy235

Default Wheel Change

Hi all, I'm after some advice and opinions please.

I have a '67 plate V90 D5 R-Design Pro, with 20 inch wheels. I seem to have test driven the thing on the smoothest roads in the country and failed to spot how firm/rough the ride is. I'm driving up and down motorways and getting vibrated to exhaustion by the rough ride... it's not comfortable and it's not pleasant. The tyres are brand new Pirelli P-Zero's, so i don't think they're the issue, per se. So I've 2 options. Sell the car or try to make it better.

Has oneone tried to change wheels on the V90 to say, 18inch? Has it made the ride any more comfortable? Did you use Volvo, or an independant?

thanks guys
billyboy235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 12:21   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy235 View Post
Hi all, I'm after some advice and opinions please.

I have a '67 plate V90 D5 R-Design Pro, with 20 inch wheels. I seem to have test driven the thing on the smoothest roads in the country and failed to spot how firm/rough the ride is. I'm driving up and down motorways and getting vibrated to exhaustion by the rough ride... it's not comfortable and it's not pleasant. The tyres are brand new Pirelli P-Zero's, so i don't think they're the issue, per se. So I've 2 options. Sell the car or try to make it better.

Has oneone tried to change wheels on the V90 to say, 18inch? Has it made the ride any more comfortable? Did you use Volvo, or an independant?

thanks guys
are you sure your tyre pressures are ok? The ride on the V90 is excellent with it's sophisticated alloy suspension components .. smaller wheels make no difference due to this ... I would go back to where you bought it and demonstrate your problem to them you might have something wrong if it is that bad ...
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 12:49   #3
cassell
Member since 1988

I too have a 2017 V90 (inscription) on 20" rims and Pirelli P-Zero tyres but can honestly say that the ride and comfort is superb on all road surface types, even the horrendous concrete A50 between Stoke and Uttoxeter!

I have my tyre pressures at 36, although I increase them to 39 when towing the caravan, as Clan says check your pressures and perhaps get your dealer to do a suspension/running gear inspection?

Interestingly, my original tyres had the PNCS (Pirelli Noise Cancelling System) fitted which is simply a big lump of foam rubber bonded within the tyre carcass. I've replaced my fronts with (cheaper) non-PNCS Pirellis and guess what.............not a bit of difference in road noise!

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 13:49   #4
Berkshirebob

My R Design on 18 inch P Zeros has a superb ride, far softer in fact than our Standard diesel Golf with 16 inch wheels.

I think your best course of action is to swap wheels with me..
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 14:01   #5
billyboy235

Cheers for the thoughts so far guys.

Cassell - i believe the R Design has lowered, stiffened, firmer suspension than the inscription? So that could be the difference between our comfort levels. Happy to be proven wrong by anyone that knows!!

Clan - I tried around 35/36. I then got a re-balance from Johnsons Volvo in Solihull, and they lowered the tyres to 31-32, which i thought was weird. Neither made much/any difference to comfort. I've since gone back up to 35.

Berkshirebob - good to hear your 18s are smooth. :-)

I've also just had the 2nd yr service and mentioned the problem. They found no issues, other than worn-out brake pads (I bought it as an ex-rental, so no surpise).
The Following User Says Thank You to billyboy235 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 14:43   #6
Haldex
Premier Member

Yes, RD is somewhat lower + 15% stiffer springs per specification.

I've heard lots of complains about road noise/discomfort with P-Zeroes. For starters, I'd test-drive a same car (check with your dealer?) with different tires- as I expect something less aggressive (eg. Michelin Pilot Latitude - also a factory-fit tire on Volvos..) will significantly improve the ride quality. Should you choose to go with a new set of wheels with a V90 D5 you can go as small as 17": https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...and-tyre-sizes

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 12:21   #7
Deman77
Master Member

I encourage you to experiment a bit more with tyre pressures going as low as they would permit then increasing a bit at a time.

Keep in mind there are significant variations between gauges especially consumer grade ones. Also make sure to do measurements on cold tyres.

My xc90 on air on 20in conti sport was an absolute nightmare first three years of its life. I used to have awful rebound noise, terrible shaking in the rear. Then I bought a pro grade gauge and experimented with pressures and it now I am very content with ride. Actually I am moderately pleased. My only moan would be the low speed side to side wobble on bad roads but pot holes, higher speed B roads, road joins, motorways its very good (close to excellent). I topped her out on autobahn at 142 with full load and three passengers and it was never in doubt. These are very hard sidewall tyres. They simply have very narrow window where they perform. You have more room with better tyres but my suggestion would be to first get a pro grade gauge so you have consistency of measurements when you change pressure. It will cost you 30-50 quid to try and if it doesn’t work go for big spend downsize but quality gauge is always handy.
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 14:22   #8
billyboy235

I mentioned to Volvo that I'm considering smaller wheels, and they "warned" me that the car would need a software update to account for wheel size etc.? Has anyone got experience of this?

Does anyone have experience of "aftermarket" wheel sellers, online or in/near Birmingham? Off limited research they appear to be infinitely cheaper than a main dealer, but I don't want anything that might cause me issues??

Still considering all options, but trying to get better "informed"
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 14:33   #9
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy235 View Post
I mentioned to Volvo that I'm considering smaller wheels, and they "warned" me that the car would need a software update to account for wheel size etc.? Has anyone got experience of this?

Does anyone have experience of "aftermarket" wheel sellers, online or in/near Birmingham? Off limited research they appear to be infinitely cheaper than a main dealer, but I don't want anything that might cause me issues??

Still considering all options, but trying to get better "informed"
There was several post on this a year or so ago, mainly by people changing over to winter wheels/tyres which are usually of a smaller size, the software update is to alter the speedo to suit the wheel size, not many owners bother doing it as you only have to do it again when changing back to the larger wheels and pay to get it done twice. I dont think it is a big difference in indicated speed, if you intend keeping the different size wheels on, it may be worth getting the software updated.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Oct 21st, 2019 at 14:35.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 15:57   #10
Kenp8257

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
There was several post on this a year or so ago, mainly by people changing over to winter wheels/tyres which are usually of a smaller size, the software update is to alter the speedo to suit the wheel size, not many owners bother doing it as you only have to do it again when changing back to the larger wheels and pay to get it done twice. I dont think it is a big difference in indicated speed, if you intend keeping the different size wheels on, it may be worth getting the software updated.
A quick question, if you drop a wheel rim size or two, your profile increases accordingly (eg 40/R19 dropping to 45/R18 and so forth).

Doesn't that mean the actual circumference of the outer rubber wheel is therefore the same, in which case why would a software adjustment be necessary?
Kenp8257 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comfort, wheel size