Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

idle noise in neutral after clutch and dmf change.

Views : 799

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2019, 19:14   #1
lockstock

Default idle noise in neutral after clutch and dmf change.

volvo c30. 2l petrol. manual.

just had a new clutch and dmf. Volvo parts. garage fitted. full kit with new slave and release bearing.

Car now has a tuka-tuka-tuka noise when idleing in neutral. there were zero indication of any gearbox issues before the change. work was straight forward according to garage. full gearbox oil change during work and topped up and bled brake fluid.

The noise goes away entirely when pressing the clutch pedal. I think I can hear it when driving in gear also...

Reading online this indicates input shaft bearing on the gearbox... This just can't be a coincidence. I feel that something must have happened during the work. If the gearbox wasnt properly supported and hang off the input shaft briefly, this could damage the input shaft bearing.

Does anyone else know anything else this could be, perhaps mis aligned pressure plate so clutch fingers are undeven and catching/rubbing? goes away when pressing clutch in?

Is there anything during install set up that could be missaligned that could cause thiS?

surely too much of a conincidence if it is a transmission bearing straight after clutch replacement??

advice would be great, cheers
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 09:36   #2
ivor

Hello
I think it is so called gearbox clatter. It often starts when a well used gearbox is filled with new thin oil. A 75w gearbox oil is the same as a 30w engine oil.
Do not worry about it, you can however try to use a thicker gear oil, but DO NOT
use a GL5 gear oil.
ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 12:19   #3
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Yep, sadly that does sound like the input shaft bearing to me.

I have the same issue, only I've not split my box apart yet.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 19:52   #4
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Yep, sadly that does sound like the input shaft bearing to me.

I have the same issue, only I've not split my box apart yet.
the plot thickens... the noise isn't getting worse, but sometimes, clutching in, doesn't stop the noise. In this scenario the input shaft wont be spinning... I now suspect the pressure plate and/or clutch and release bearing. I think the noise is the diaphram fingers and or the release bearing being off. It could have been over torqued during install or just plain faulty... but this would explain the noise. Trouble is it will cost me so much in labour to co firm my theory, not to mention a parts warranty claim, where volvo will stay install error... just gonna have to live with it...
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2020, 09:30   #5
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Bit of a thread bump but did you ever find out what was causing this?

I've still got to split my box apart to sort this