Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HID problem

Views : 1942

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2011, 17:00   #11
Martin1977

Poor safety feature IMO... the number of people pulling out on me at junctions as I'm apparently 'flashing them out' is incredible!!! (each to their own though)
VERY disappointed that the DRL's can't be disabled. poor that!!
Martin1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 17:14   #12
tayandre

Virtually all new cars have DRLs now. Come 5 or 10 years time vritually everything on the road will have DRLs. I've had cars with DRLs for about 5 or 6 years in total bu I can't say I've ever had anyone pull out thinking I'd flashed them.
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 17:15   #13
benf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin1977 View Post
Poor safety feature IMO... the number of people pulling out on me at junctions as I'm apparently 'flashing them out' is incredible!!! (each to their own though)
VERY disappointed that the DRL's can't be disabled. poor that!!
Maybe they where just going to pulling out anyway, some crazy drivers out there Guess it is just used to other cars having DRLs and flashing means you can go (you can't ... just ask yourself if they are flashing, who are they flashing at ? ...)

A good compromise could be that DRL means decent sidelights instead of running main/dipped beams - I've had a few situations looking into a low sun where I've nearly missed a car with no lights on and nearly pulled out in front - with DRL's you can at least see something to warn you theres a car coming.
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 17:21   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
Virtually all new cars have DRLs now. Come 5 or 10 years time vritually everything on the road will have DRLs. I've had cars with DRLs for about 5 or 6 years in total bu I can't say I've ever had anyone pull out thinking I'd flashed them.
me neither ! Quite the opposite in fact and thats after 35 years and 500000 miles driving with day running lights ...I do see cars at junctions waiting to pull out and even see their wheels start to turn but then stop again so that is the effect of Day Running Lights ..
On the other hand some people will pull out in front of you whatever the circumstances !
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 17:28   #15
tayandre

I'd agree Clan. Being more visible means I find people less likely to pull out rather than more.
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 17:36   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

I think day running lights give the impression to those waiting to pull out that you are going faster than you are , ...
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 18:03   #17
Metblackrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayandre View Post
Apparantly you can't.

Used to be possible with a SW update but it's been reported on here that it's no longer available.
Got some S40's on 61 plates at work on the unmarked police fleet. They have the headlights turned off so it can be done.
Metblackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 19:42   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

done before delivery i guess , I think you will find the software has gone from the parts list ..
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 20:28   #19
Guru
Premier Member

I have always driven with my headlights on, day and night, summer and winter.. I too believe that it is a safety matter and a very good idea, i.e. it makes you more visible and such, and for the past two years it has become obligatory by law where I live to have the headlights on all the time while driving, regardless...

But I still believe it's better to have control over those lights, to be able to turn them on and off as I wish, that's why I'm happy to have bought the Volvo with DRL disabled, for those moments when you just need to move your car closer to the garden hose to wash it, or 50 m down the drive way, or reversing out of the garage to vacuum clean the interior.. ect. with halogens that's no big deal but you wouldn't want your HIDs to cycle on and off in less than 30 secs..
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 21:12   #20
dew1911
I've Been Banned

You could always just turn it to sidelights once you've set off...
dew1911 is offline   Reply With Quote