Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'Anti skid service required' help! V50 1.6D

Views : 5835

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 22:41   #1
ajlongfield

Exclamation 'Anti skid service required' help! V50 1.6D

Hi all,

I purchased a Volvo V50 estate 59 plate 125k on the clock. Me and the family are in France for 6 months so needed a car to get us down here with plenty of space.

Had a few overnight stop offs on the way but 2hrs into the last 4hr stint I had the 'anti skid service required' message appear and the torque pulled from the engine on any incline.

I have been trying to research the issue and saw that the CEM connections could be faulty - I have had it out and cleaned it but still have the message. Thought this could be it as when I go onto the 'secret' DTSC menu the CEM just states 'Checking' - also when I quote wiggled the wires in the footwell it seemed to not come on immediately when I started the car

Also had an engine service light come up 30mins or so after the Anti skid message - immediately after I had re-fulled (not sure if this is linked?).

I have plugged it into a diagnostics tool and get the following error codes:

P0490 - EGR Control circuit high
P0489 - EGR Control circuit low
P1412 - ?
U0301 - Software incompatibility with ECM/ PCM.

Have seen a few threads that linked the EGR with the anti skid? I am planning on attempting to clean and check the EGR. Also read somewhere about a faulty fuel cap affecting the Emissions fault light on an engine or low quality fuel - which would make some sense as it happened straight after refueling in a french petrol station.

With the Anti skid service required I have also seen it is a known fault with Volvo that they may pay part of if not all to fix but not sure if this counts on the age of car I have?

All of this coupled with the fact that I will need to go to a french garage of some kind (Language barrier) has got me worried!

Car drives fine with the only exception being no torque on hills.

Any help would be really appreciated!
ajlongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 08:28   #2
iantowil

I have a 2008 C70 with the same anti skid message. It seems to be a hugely common problem. Rang Volvo and completely uninterested. They may have been slightly more interested if I'd had the car serviced with them, but never have so that was the end of that. Mine runs fine with the anti skid message, so not sure whether the lack of torque could be the EGR on yours.
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 22:31   #3
ajlongfield

Default EGR sorted

Hi thanks for the reply. Had the EGR valve replaced and sorted but still no power. The anti skid message has even gone (accept on steep hills). I have it booked in with a Volvo garage. They hooked it up briefly to the diagnostics and said it had an error on the accelerator pedal. I understand there may be issues with the wiring down there on certain cars. Although I did notice it wouldn’t go above 3000 revs so it Sounds like it’s the cars electronic safety systems that is stopping it.

Will see what the garage says

Thanks
ajlongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 12:42   #4
emy

Just passed the NCT (MOT) test and some of errors, i have never seen, came up, acceleration pedal (it was sorted pressing 15 times with the engine off), Anti skid service, which is gone for now, and the wipers, front back came on, just like that, also had no control of indicators....I had to stop the car. I solved it by opening the two retaining bolts of the CEM and left it loose. (it happens only when I have the heat on, auto mode)
I suspect a weaken part on CEM, does not like too much heat, it could be the indicator relay??
I will try to cover the CEM, to protect it from the heat coming from heating system.

Volvo for life
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 14:57   #5
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emy View Post
I will try to cover the CEM, to protect it from the heat coming from heating system.

Volvo for life
I dont think its heat related, more like connector loose or corroded. By "letting it hang loose" you are making the connectors allign differently and making it work for a while. I would disconnect battery, take CEM out completely and clean all connectors with contact spray, re-seat them all back tightly and put CEM back on its place.
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 23:28   #6
zork

You could have a cracked intake hose... Or an empty aditive tank for DPF related to refueling...

Get a VIDA conected to the car and start reading registered errors and parameters
zork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 12:39   #7
emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
I dont think its heat related, more like connector loose or corroded. By "letting it hang loose" you are making the connectors allign differently and making it work for a while. I would disconnect battery, take CEM out completely and clean all connectors with contact spray, re-seat them all back tightly and put CEM back on its place.
I did cleaned the connectors but with the CEM attached and, of course, the battery disconnected. I will take it out and give a good clean, with this occasion I will change the cabin filter too, part of the service left.
Old Oct 5th, 2018, 12:58   #8
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emy View Post
I did cleaned the connectors but with the CEM attached and, of course, the battery disconnected. I will take it out and give a good clean, with this occasion I will change the cabin filter too, part of the service left.
If that doesnt help and you will still get weird issues, you can come over near Parkwest area one day with a bottle of good beer and I can scan your car for errors with Vida+Dice it may highlight some issues or atleast delete all previous errors so you can start with a clean plate
Old Oct 6th, 2018, 16:42   #9
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlongfield View Post
Hi thanks for the reply. Had the EGR valve replaced and sorted but still no power.
Did you replace it with a genuine Volvo one? I've just been through the same thing and I initially cleaned the EGR valve and refitted. No joy. I then got an EGR from Eurocarparts made by Haas. Initially I thought allw as well but soon the anti-skid message returned along with a rough idle and the error messages in VIDA. Finally I replaced it with a genuine Volvo EGR and all is now well (apart from my bank balance).

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 16:52   #10
leegurr

Hi, did you have any luck sorting this I have the exact same issues thanks
leegurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti skid service message, cem connections, egr